My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
16 hp, 38" deck, JD $100.

So I get this email today . . . Am I interested in a John Deere with 16 HP a 38" deck, it runs but has some steering problem.

For $100, of course. Buy it. So here are the pictures.

The data plate - It's a 160.

Right side view.

Wow, I don't have to fake the emblem on the front of this one.

The light changes, I think it's because the flash went off on some of the photos but not all of them.

View from the other direction

The engine sounds like it's new.

It does have some wear on the body, but I was told that it was stored indoors.

It came a 38" deck and a grass catcher. I haven't had a chance to do anything with those other than load them on the trailer in the dark and bring them home. Front tires are mismatched and have tubes, the rear tires are tubeless. I'll have to change my signature if it stays around.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Congratulations on the steal of the week. You did very well!

·
Premium Member
9,754 Posts
Has a grill emblem because it appears to deserve one !!

IMHO The steering is tough on all those 100 series. but the front spindles have zerks and the little ball joints need lube plus the shaft down thru the pedestal.

·
The Admin from... Nowhere!
14,103 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, the FB460v is "only" a 12.5 hp BUT for $100 it's a heck of a deal!

Oh man! It's even got the oil filter! SWEET!!! I'll give ya $150 for it! :)
Sold it this morning for $300. He'll buy the parts, I have to put them on.

It looks like it needs a drag link. The steering rod from the pitman to the spindle just lifts up and comes off. It also needs a battery and a PTO switch.

The drive belt also slips. Is there a way to adjust the free play on the clutch? I didn't see any looking under it, it looks like there is plenty of room for the double pulley assembly to tighten the belt, but the pedal won't come back far enough to allow it to get tight.

·
The Admin from... Nowhere!
14,103 Posts
Sold it this morning for $300. He'll buy the parts, I have to put them on.

It looks like it needs a drag link. The steering rod from the pitman to the spindle just lifts up and comes off. It also needs a battery and a PTO switch.

The drive belt also slips. Is there a way to adjust the free play on the clutch? I didn't see any looking under it, it looks like there is plenty of room for the double pulley assembly to tighten the belt, but the pedal won't come back far enough to allow it to get tight.
There IS an adjustable idler for tensioning the friction drive belt... He may also just need a new belt... Replacing the belt requires removal of the PTO, mind you... Which I hear can be a bugger...

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There IS an adjustable idler for tensioning the friction drive belt... He may also just need a new belt... Replacing the belt requires removal of the PTO, mind you... Which I hear can be a bugger...
When I crawled under it last night, I saw that pulley, but just thought it was there to keep the belt out of the way of other stuff. Belt looks to be in acceptable condition. Since it's going away, an adjustment will be sufficient.

·
THE TRACTOR HUNTER
2,225 Posts
I assume this was the one in Centerville for sale for the last week or so?

·
A semi-retired senior cit
2,132 Posts
Nice little tractor, I had a 1988 165 with the same 12.5 hp motor, it had a hydro. Tractor was great in small area`s, ran great, I traded it last year for a Wheel Horse C-85, I wanted a garden tractor to hang a plow on. I found the plow and quick hitch this year locally. Only thing I don't like is the plastic rear fender pan, everything on C-85 been rebuilt. Did you get the bagger with the 160, I see the mount for it?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I assume this was the one in Centerville for sale for the last week or so?
I don't think so. Owner of the auto-body shop where I hang out was looking at some old VW parts and saw the tractor. He made the deal, I don't where it came from, but I doubt it was advertised.

Have you got more info on the one in Centerville? Since this one is gone already, another project isn't out of the question.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Did you get the bagger with the 160, I see the mount for it?
Yes, the bagger came with it. Without the mower deck on, I don't know if it's complete. The three items I got were a tube, the big part in the back and the bags.

·
It's not easy being green
348 Posts
Good deal.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts