My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 16-G whines when moving in forward or reverse in any gear. When it is not moving all you hear is the engine. The tractor is new to me and I do not know if they are supposed to make noise when they are moving. It works great in every gear. The hydraulics and PTO work. The oil levels are fine. Any help is appreciated.
Thanks

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Don
I just went out and swapped the trunnions for some others that I had. The ones on the tractor did not spin easily. The "new" ones are much better but the tractor still has a whine to it when it moves.
Jim

·
Gravely bug bit.
8,735 Posts
Don
I just went out and swapped the trunnions for some others that I had. The ones on the tractor did not spin easily. The "new" ones are much better but the tractor still has a whine to it when it moves.
Jim
If it is quiet when sitting and noisy when moving, does it do it in both directions or only one?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It does it in both directions. I did replace the engine. I was told that I may have to shim the engine but I question that. If I had to shim the engine wouldnt the tractor make noise at idle or when the pto or hydraulics are working. Since I changed the trunnions, reverse is not as loud but forward still sounds like a hydro.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Don
I did not realize that was you on yahoo. I ask questions where I can because someone on one forum may have experience with this. Thanks for the help. Hopefully I can get figured out.

·
Gravely bug bit.
8,735 Posts
Don
I did not realize that was you on yahoo. I ask questions where I can because someone on one forum may have experience with this. Thanks for the help. Hopefully I can get figured out.
I am on a number of them. I only have equipment in 4 states so I'm spread out that way too. :(

The bearings on the trunion cup run both ways on the forward clutch. That is normally the one that makes the noise first. Replacement part is a standard bearing from Timken. Take the forward clutch trunion off and see if it is the one making the noise. If it makes noise when it backs up it is internal to the tranny.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts