My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen it mentioned several times on this forum that the 16-G with the Magnum 18 engine came stock with the governor limited to 3300 RPM and that one can set it to 3600 RPM to achieve the full power rating of the engine. One thread, if I remember correctly, said the procedure was documented in a thread on this forum. I have searched but cannot find it. Can someone point me to the thread that shows how to do this, or post instructions on how to do it? Thanks much.

·
Inveterate Putterer
2,964 Posts
The thread was by Sheldon (Atlantic Central). Not sure of the thread title.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The thread was by Sheldon (Atlantic Central). Not sure of the thread title.
I've searched in Sheldon's "Latest 16-G Improvements" thread using governor, speed, 3600, tach, tachometer, throttle, etc. but can't find it. Is there another thread by Sheldon that has it?

·
Premium Member
3,318 Posts
Chuck, I never posted the step by step instructions.

But it is pretty easy to do.

Look at he picture below. There is an "L" shaped stop under the swivel arm that the throttle cable connects to. disconnect the throttle cable from this arm. Loosen that bolt, and reposition the stop to allow more travel until your tach says you are getting close to 3600 RPM.

Reconnect the throttle cable and re-adjust the other throttle cable clamp if necessary to get the throttle cable to pull the arm all the way to the new stop position.

If, and only if, the engine wants to hunt after this change, move the governor spring in one hole on the governor arm.

Double check max RPM and idle RPM and enjoy all the power Kohler designed into this engine......

Sheldon

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Sheldon! I'll give it a try in the spring when I take it out of winter storage.

New question, anybody have a suggestion for a decent inexpensive tach?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks again Sheldon. I'll stop by Harbor Freight and see what they've got.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Depending on the year of your 16-G you may find you have to increase the length of the slot for the throttle lever in the dash. Late 80's G's have a shorter slot, later ones have a longer slot with a stop bolted on. On my 89' 20-G I had to file the slot slightly longer in order to lower the throttle lever enough to reach idle speed. Other than that, this simple upgrade has worked great for the last 4 years.

Rick

1 - 8 of 8 Posts