My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys here is my 446 with Super Strong 8x16 tires. Curious what others are running for tires. I have estimated my overall weight in the 1,300lb range ( read somewhere a 446 is about 800lb + 320lb rear weights + Me 210lb = 1300lb +/- )

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks ^

·
Ingersoll Dealer
2,552 Posts
Very nice ... I run Goodyear Super Sure Grip 8-16 R1 lugs for winter work. A similar Carlisle lug, run backwards, makes a nice steering front tire for winter.

I run about similar weight ... +320 on the wheels (liquid and Ingersoll cast iron weights), plus sometimes a few hundred in the Ingersoll weight box ... up to 1500 or so and never any traction problems ...

Brian

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Any pics? from what I have been seeing of other "8x16" tires mine are on the very narrow side. The tires would be great if I had a huge garden to plow. But since there so narrow they trench the law even during the summer when its dry.

·
Banned
1,634 Posts
Any pics? from what I have been seeing of other "8x16" tires mine are on the very narrow side. The tires would be great if I had a huge garden to plow. But since there so narrow they trench the law even during the summer when its dry.

Take the 320lbs off during summer ?

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If I make a 3pt then I will remove the weight, which will elliminate some of the problem. Someone has to be running a 9x16 or a 9.5x16.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
They look about the right width to me ... I do not do turf work with these ... maybe one shot in the spring to get back to the garden area and use the tiller ... but my goal is to not have these on my turf.
Brian, you don't seem to be using chains. Do you have any hills to climb? Is your snow removal on pavement or gravel? ~ thanks ~ dave

·
Premium Member
2,376 Posts
OK, I know this thread is about rear tires, so sorry, but...

Brian;

Those backward front tires look weird. I can see that the only thing affecting the front tires is a slight resistance to rolling, kinda like putting the front brakes on slightly. And any slippage will cause the snow to be pushed out the tread (as opposed to the snow being directed to the centre of the tread with the tires normal), but have you ever tried it the normal way? I have Snow Dogs, the normal direction, on the front of my 448, and they are 10x better than the original crazy carpet tires. So do you think it would be even better to turn them around?

PS I'm have ran turfs on the back with chains with no problems; this winter I'm going to try trufs with no chains, but extra weight. Changing the front tires was the best improvement on overall performance.

·
Ingersoll Dealer
2,552 Posts
Brian, you don't seem to be using chains. Do you have any hills to climb? Is your snow removal on pavement or gravel? ~ thanks ~ dave
I do not use chains ... almost all my work is on asphalt.

A little bit of slight grade, but certainly not hills, in my snow routine. Well weighted as it is, the lugs have basically no problem until you encounter real ice. They are still pretty good on ice ... but when it is so slick you can't stand up then nothing beats chains.

As for the front tires, I have found the reversed lugs provide nice steering bite ... better than running forward. How much ... who knows? However, I am 100% aligned with the 10x better than turf ribs comment.

I tried both orientations some years back and settled in on the reverse. I have not had the time or inclination to swap over and try something like snow hogs.

Brian

·
Registered
299 Posts
Just curious what is the overal height of those tires?

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Do you have a pic from the rear? BTW good looking tractor.

·
MTF member
46 Posts
Quaterhorse those tires look sharp!:thThumbsUare those case wheel weights? they they look better than the ones that cover the whole wheel.

·
Steamer
5 Posts
Bulldogbones - I will take a picture from the rear Saturday and post it then.

Novarich - Yes they are Case wheel weights. Actually have two weights on each side stacked one on top the other. Also have the tires filled with Rim-Guard. The tractor is mainly used fro plowing with a 12" Brinly 3 point hitch one bottom plow.

Dave

·
Registered
83 Posts
Here's a couple of pictures of 9.5 X 16 tires on a 448.
Dave
Dave: First want to say what a sweet tractor!:thThumbsU Couple of questions, did you have to modify your fenders to install the 9.5s ? A few of the 9.5 R-1s I have researched would not fit under the fenders of my 1986 446 based on the diameter. And are those titans? Thank you.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts