My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
3,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok, I was going to do one post once I got it completely built, but I have some questions so I will post my progress.
I just want to say, I'm a shadetree/backyard fabricator using a HB 220V flux welder, 4 1/2" grinder, and 1/2" drill. Things aren't perfectly square, cut even, but it works for me.
I want to thank Umaxman and Dmorill for their threads on snow plow builds which gave me most of my ideas/design along with many others including the "e-bucket" thread which gave me my first thoughts of building my own.

http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=215131&highlight=snow+blade
http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=211316&highlight=snow+blade

I obtained a blade only, no mounts and decided I wanted to build a mount that would take some abuse and do what I needed. I came up with a winch lifted snow blade (phase I) and will add a clamshell type bucket maybe in the spring(phase II).
Yes I mentioned dump bucket, I bought one couple guys built, it needs some improvements and I keep forgetting to get pics during the day, I will get ASAP.
It may appear I'm over building, but I want to do this right the first time and from past experiences taking short cuts, I'm not on this one. This is my first real build of anything so I'm taking time and trying to do it right.
Ok, so I decided on a mule drive type mount, build it out of angle. Worked out pretty good, had a couple little stumbles, but fixed them. I originally was going to use 1/4" plates and weld everything to it, but got a hold of some 2" tubing so just used it and welding angle around it. I got a Harbor Freight 2000# winch and decided to mount angled pulley above winch
( thanks Doug for idea) which give a little more leverage and I have plans for something else down the road which will utilize the pulley system. So far I've built mule mount, winch mount, and am now working on blade mount which is where I may have a slight road block, hoping you all have advice.

I will continue to post pics as I get more fabricated and finished, Hopefully blade will get done by next week so it will be ready for snow. Clamshell will most likely be a spring/summer project, plus I will have to get steel to do it.
Just giving you all a little taste :thThumbsU
So here some pics I'll post in a couple posts.

My tools

My materials, blade bunch of metal, winch

Initial angle mount. I cut slots in rear, welded bolts in front I can tighten down to hold in place

·
Registered
3,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Building the lower blade mount. This is 1/4" plate welded with angle and is mounted under mule mount. I made it to pretty much ride up against axle bolt for extra strength when pushing.

Winch getting mounted, large holes drill in the back to access with socket if needed to be removed, just mocking up now.

Extra steel pipe will be ran from middle plate to rear somehow for extra pushing support, I'll figure out mounts when I get there.

·
Registered
3,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, here's where you all's advice comes in. Here are some pics of the blade mock up mounts. I needed to build the rear mount up higher as I will be loading tractor on trailer regularly to do other peoples' snow removal, but this causes blade to be angled forward. I have to cut the tube down anyways lengthwise due to the blade mount is not as wide as the tube. I had planned to cut it down, re-weld plate on it so it will slide into the current blade mount.
Since it is currently at pretty good angle and I have to cut tube down anyway, my thought is to cut tube almost in half, taking a small "piece of pie" out of it allowing the blade mount part to tip up and level blade some. I can weld the pie back and even add some side gusset plates on the side for strength even though I don't think it needs it. My last pic I kind of did in red the pie and how it would level bottom of mount.
So what are your thoughts?
Also, any ideas on an angle set up besides getting off tractor and pulling pin? The pin currently goes through two plates and the tube so I would have to design something to pull pin up at least 2" to release. That will come down the road.

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,199 Posts
lookin' great!

·
Registered
988 Posts
Looking good, but i'm thinking your push tube should as close as parallel to the ground as possible. Angled up like yours is now, the blade will push up on front of tractor and will want to lift front end.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Very nice work TAHOE99 :) I see you have the same tools as me :trink40:
I have almost the exact same pieces made that you have for the blade mount but I ended up changing things up and not using them. I was in the same place as you with the angle of the blade when lowered :(
I ended up making a plate with two tabs welded on in an upright position and bolted to the two bottom tabs on the axle.
I then took two pieces of angle iron and also fastened them to the bottom tabs of the axle and ran them back to the rear hitch of the tractor, the push is on the rear mount and not all on the front axle plus the angle iron has enough flex that it doesn't bother the front axle when it moves up or down. I angled the blade then made everything to mount it all on because I wanted to keep the blade as close to the front of the tractor as possible to help eliminate as much side to side push on the blade. It has lots of lift for clearance when in the up position.
The idea of cutting the pie shape piece out of yours and welding it should work.
The way I have mine mounted, the whole thing from front to back is no lower than the lowest point on my tractor.
I can get pictures of any part if you need them
I really like the mule drive mount you made it looks really solid. I am looking forward to your clam shell post...:fing32:

Picture of the hitch mount

picture of the front mount plate and how the blade was welded to it, the chain was just to hold it up until the winch was mounted :)

This last picture shows that nothing is hanging lower than the tractor itself and the amount of lift I have on the blade. [and my weight box finished and installed :) ]

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,199 Posts

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Well I would maybe trade them for ....oh lets say
JOLENE

maybe even stumpy ...

:bananapow:bananapow:bananapow

I really like them also ....hold like glue :)

·
Registered
3,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the comments. Been thinking I may drop my tube mount down a little but I will still need to pie my tube some and angle it up a little. I don't think the stresses will be enough to worry about. Straight on/level would be best. Isn't fabbing trial and error anyways:fing32:

·
Registered
266 Posts
Nice work so far!! Keep it up, I had a similar situation With the blade angle on my plow build. I decided to use an "L" bracket to drop the blade frame and made a gusset out of channel for support. It worked well but I did lose some ground clearance. If you do add a clamshell in the future I'll be following it closely as that might be one of my next projects as well! Good luck!

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Thanks for the comments. Been thinking I may drop my tube mount down a little but I will still need to pie my tube some and angle it up a little. I don't think the stresses will be enough to worry about. Straight on/level would be best. Isn't fabbing trial and error anyways:fing32:
You are right TAHOE its all trial and error and that is how I learn :trink40:
I agree I don't think the angle will hurt anything and even if it does shouldn't be to hard to beef it up IF needed.

Thats a good looking set up Craftman:fing32:

·
Registered
927 Posts
Looks good to me sir! Reminds me of when I built my winch/actuator controlled front clamshell scoop bucket. Mine's ugly but gets the job done.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Suburban, thanks for pics, that thing looks huge.:fing32:

So, I know you all wanna see more so I did some more work today. Took some pics of my dump bucket too, but those will come in next post.

Ok, with much thought and your alls' advice, I decided to drop the mount down just a bit, it's about 1 1/2" lower than I started with. I also got the tube mounted and the plow end of the tube cut, welded back, and holes drilled. The jury is still out if I'm going to bird mouth the end and make the plow mount parallel to the ground, I have to do some checking on something then I will decide. So..... I know you all like pics.

mockup...

Welded. You can see the extra angle on the back I added when I lowered. This will help strengthen and actually helps my when I add the center steel pipe in the middle for extra pushing support.

End of tube, one of those little details that usually doesn't get mentioned. Had to round end off so tube would pivot in the mount since I drilled main hole in close to mount.

Tube on

Who needs an FEL, I can lift this puppy way up there :thThumbsU

·
Registered
3,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
On to blade end of tube.

This spooked me, when I cut long ways down the tube, it popped on me and curve outward, never had that happen before.

I cut tube long ways as it was too wide to fit in plow mount. Wouldn't ya know, it slide perfectly in there after I cut top off. Off course, I didn't want a weld on top, so this part was the most critical part of this whole build as I want the tube to be slightly tight inside the blade. I measured twice, cut once, then re-welded the top back on and it fit pretty much perfect for me. Got holes drilled also. My welder began to act up so these welds aren't pretty, but no one will see them anyway :fing32:

Pushed it outside and mounted it up.
DO you all think I need to make it level from this pic?

Wow, shouldn't have to worry about not getting it high enough to load on trailer :fing32:

Couple more pictures of the mounting. Angling will be manual for now.

Next step will be making the upper pulley mount, then drill and bolt in my eye bolt for the lower arm. Once those are done, I need to get my center pipe mounted and I have another idea I may add once all that is done, just have to wait and see.

·
Registered
3,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Here is the dump bucket I bought off of a couple local guys. I bought it cause of the basic structure and build decent design, but the welds are just big ole globs and it needs some changes to work for me new mount. The privacy fence door latch is a neat idea for the dump latch though, I'll give them that. Since I am planning the clamshell, I may not even fool with it and try to sell it. They had a mower deck lift mechanism bolts to side of there tractor and a chain connected to the long upright. If I keep it, it will be winch lifted so I will have to mod that and the mount since it won't work
( see in pics) with my current winch mount.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Blade and mount looks great Tahoe :) I think the angle of the blade is fine, its about the same as mine.
Something I have noticed from using mine today and in the last snow storm we had is that the blade is way to small for the tractor.
These things will push a pile of snow :)

1 - 20 of 60 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.