My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been given a 1556 Hydro, (I have not brought it home yet) supposedly the engine and transaxel/hydro are froze up. Unfortunately he got rid of the plow and snow blower (I think they were sold as scrap metal). The rest of the machine seems to be in decent shape, normal rust and scratches for a machine this age.

The question I have been asking my self is should I part it out or re power and repair it. I know a lot will depend on what I see when i get home and start tinkering around with it.

If I decide to part it out will the parts sell.

How much would it cost to rebuild/replace the transaxel/hydro which I believe is an Eaton 10 with a controlled differential.

I haven't seen much about 1556's on here and would like to hear someone experiences/opinions on them.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi Modaone,

I love my 1556. I also have a gear driven bolens and the performance on my rocky hilly terrain is night and day, it is much faster to change speed and back up. I also love the red and white paint on the 1556's and the bubble hood scoop. There are many models that are nearly the same but the 1556 seems to bring the best of all of them together in one package - this is of course my opinion and others are entitled to theirs as well.

A lot is yet unkown with yours so its hard to give you any advice. I would start with the engine. If you can get it running good without a major cash infusion then I would say the tractor is worth saving. Hopefully the problem with the Eaton 10/ transaxle is isolated in the eaton 10 tranny. If so they pop up on ebay from time to time and are not bank breakers. I believe there is an outfit making new "slippers" that will breath new life into an old eaton 10.

Bring it home and look it over. If it seems like more headache than its worth then consider using it as a parts rig and picking up another that is in better condition. There are also people out there that would do a ground up resto on this rig. Its all in what you want and how much time/effort your willing to put in.

As for parting it out. It sounds like the parts that would bring the most money have a big ? above them. Sure, the wheels and tires and other parts will bring a few bucks but by the time you disasemble the tractor, sell them on ebay, box them up and drive them to the ups store you will realize your probably working for less than min. wage - maybe not.

good luck and have fun,
Jim

·
Blue Wolf Antiques
54 Posts
Hi! I have 2 1556's and absolutely love em! They have the old Tecumseh 15hp cast iron OHV engines that are nearly indestructible. Mine start, run and do a great job in any weather conditions. I would keep it and restore it as I believe all the parts from a 1256 and possibly others will fit it. The only difference between the 1556 and 1256 is the engine power. The trannies are up for sale on Ebay frequently and many times you can buy the whole tractor for $200-300 for parts. I have a snowblower on mine and there is no snow that I haven't been able to move here in NE PA. Rather than trying to rebuild the Eaton 10, just buy one on Ebay and it is a simple bolt on application. Hope this helps. Bluewolfantiques

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yankee Apple and Blue Wolf, thanks for the encouragement to repair it. That kinda what I wanted to hear I guess.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
does this transaxel have a lock out for pushing or towing the machine?

·
Gearhead
878 Posts
The Eaton 10 is kind of a pain to push. There should be a rod on the side of the drive belt idler pulley. Pull the pulley out and hook the rod on the bolt sticking up from the frame. Then hold the drive pedal down while pushing the tractor.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I finally got this thing home, it looked a lot better in the pic the guy sent me. Maybe because it was together in the pic.

The engine is definitely froze tight.

The deck which I think is a 42" deck seems to have the brackets for guide wheels bent some and the hanger brackets may be bent also. Haven't checked the spindles or gear box yet.

Does any one know a way to check the hydro and axle without having any power to them?

·
5,523 Posts
Modaone nice to see you got a 1556 they are the best of the tube frame. I have been looking for one for my self for months and it’s just my luck I am going to pick up mine tomorrow only 10 miles from my house. :bannana: Good luck with the 1556.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
The engine is definitely froze tight.

Does any one know a way to check the hydro and axle without having any power to them?
It would be nice to see it restored to working condition. It may seem easier to disassemble a machine than to get it running, but if all it needs is an engine, I am sure you can find a horizontal drive engine of similar horsepower. For the price of a used engine, you will have a solid workhorse tractor.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That is what I want to do but I'd like to check they hydro first to see if it works.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts