My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
The Kohler CV15S on my 1515 CC sounds like it has a case of severe piston slap when I engage the PTO and it coughs out a bunch of black smoke briefly while doing so. She has 320 hours on it so I know its at its end of life.

What would be a good replacement motor from another tractor? Would a 19.5 BS from a John D fit?? Or should I try to rebuild the thing over the winter?

Thanks

Hello and thank you for joining us on MTF....stop by https://www.mytractorforum.com/forums/introductions.72/ it is our Introduction forum ...tell us a little about yourself and your power equipment ....sounds like it could use a rebuild....might have to be bored out, but less expensive than getting another engine...and if you need help along the way...just shout out on here and someone will be able to guide you with getting parts and the actual rebuild...good luck with it

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Hello and thank you for joining us on MTF....stop by https://www.mytractorforum.com/forums/introductions.72/ it is our Introduction forum ...tell us a little about yourself and your power equipment ....sounds like it could use a rebuild....might have to be bored out, but less expensive than getting another engine
Thanks Mark. I can pickup a 19.5 BS from a JD for less than $200 with only about 100 hours on it. What do you think?

I would take a look at the bolt pattern and the shaft location...and check it agains the donor tractor...if it is not going to require a bunch of fabbing and drilling it is a no brainer....you could probably just buy the engine and give it a shot...if it becomes difficult, possibly someone here could help you, but I am sure that if you wound up not being able to use it that you could easily sell it and get your money back...and then go for the rebuild...is that Kohler a courage?...if it is ..they were known to have problems...if not...it should have a lot of life left in it....

Hoosier Daddy
I can pickup a 19.5 BS from a JD for less than $200 with only about 100 hours on it. What do you think?
The engine will almost assuredly bolt up, but you need to make sure the charging system is for electric PTO (assuming that's what your 1515 has), and you may need to get creative with the exhaust.

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
So now I am looking at a Kohler Pro 20hp. How do I check on the charging systems? Am I looking for a certain amperage or voltage? Obviously, they all start with a 12v battery so am I looking at the stater or regulator? Not my field of expertise so thanks in advance.

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
I would take a look at the bolt pattern and the shaft location...and check it agains the donor tractor...if it is not going to require a bunch of fabbing and drilling it is a no brainer....you could probably just buy the engine and give it a shot...if it becomes difficult, possibly someone here could help you, but I am sure that if you wound up not being able to use it that you could easily sell it and get your money back...and then go for the rebuild...is that Kohler a courage?...if it is ..they were known to have problems...if not...it should have a lot of life left in it....
Definitely a Courage. I'm at 320 hours so shes past her prime to say the least. I may crack her open and see if anything is loose or busted and try to replace just that

Hoosier Daddy
So now I am looking at a Kohler Pro 20hp. How do I check on the charging systems? Am I looking for a certain amperage or voltage? Obviously, they all start with a 12v battery so am I looking at the stater or regulator? Not my field of expertise so thanks in advance.
If the tractor the new engine came off of had an electric PTO, that's good news. I that case, it would probably work fine.

In short, the charging system has to be 12V regulated (you can usually spot a R/R box on the side of the engine), and of sufficient amperage to run an electric PTO.
What that exact amperage is, and how you tell short of running the engine and metering it though, I'm not going to be an ideal resource for that info.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts