My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been searching for a while for a floor standing drill press. I have been using a benchtop drill, which just doesn't have enough power for what I am doing (making stabilizers). I have searched for used and new. New ones are hard to find, unless you search online- the only two available to actually lay eyes on are at Lowe's and Tractor Supply. Otherwise, I'd have to travel to an industrial supply place or Northern Tools to see them.
Long story short, I bought the Porter-Cable at Lowe's. It was down to that or a Northern Industrial 1 hp drill, which was about 50 miles from me. Lowe's just reduced the price on theirs, which decided it for me (from $313 to $279). I confess that this is a lopsided review, since I don't have experience with other full size presses to compare it to. But, if you are like me and have made due with a tabletop drill, there is no comparison. Smooth, powerful, and time saving- that sums it up for me. The quality is great, and I feel that I got more for my money with the Porter-Cable than any other option that I had.
I will say that the chuck and arbor had a wobble in it, which I had read about in one review- I took the chance, and mine had it, too. Lowe's was more than willing to trade me out- I brought my chuck and arbor to the store, switched them out, and was able to run mine in their floor model- it wobbled there, too. The pieces I got from theirs is true, though, and it drills great. I don't know how common this is, but if you buy a drill press, that is probably the first thing you should check.
http://www.lowes.com/pd_78742-46069...rrentURL=/pl__0__s?Ntt=drill+press&facetInfo=

Mark

·
Registered
714 Posts
I have a rockwell/delta circa 1970; I hunted all over for a solid US made unit; I don't use it alot but plenty enough;
Speaking of Lowes and drill presses they had one floor model Delta (Chinese model brand new) $almost $500 unit I was in there with a drivers license-less friend (I got a license and a truck) and saw this one on the floor marked down to $80.. even though it's Chinese, being a floor mount drill press and brand new, he bought it; it had a busted on off switch (cheap plastic) but worked like the new unit that it was; IDK if mike ever did order the switch; I think it was like $25...

·
Registered
4,045 Posts
get a good Jacobs chuck for it. $25-50 or so investment, but there the best.

I'm lucky to have access to a Rockwell made in 1977. wiring is goofed up on it, and the low speed switch doesent work, and the high speed switch has to be off for the unit to turn on, but by changing the belt speed, it does anything I need it too.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
From what I have read, this drill press is foreign made for Porter-Cable, and I'm sure it is rebadged for Delta and others. The chuck that came with it is fine, and I am super pleased with the drill. I know that an older, American made unit would be much more desirable, but this was available after months of searching, I bought it local so I can deal with issues easier, and the price was right.
I did find a tabletop milling drill press on Craigslist locally, which would have been sweet, and very helpful for what I do. But, the price is $950, firm. So, again, for the price, I feel that I got a good value.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Go for it..............

RPM range is what to look for in a drill press.
You want the slower speeds to run larger drills with hand feeding.
With power feed it is a whole different thing.

You will get into the most trouble turning large drills too fast,
and small drills too slow.

Small hint...... To make it easier to run larger drills, drill a pilot hole
close to the size of the point of the larger drill.

Good luck
Wyo (40 some years in machine shops)

·
Loving Life :-)
4,007 Posts
Hodge,

Glad it is working out for you thus far. The top end and pulley cover looks very similar to my Delta, also made off- shore. Sometimes just a re- seating of those wobbly chucks is all that is needed. I use the heck out of mine and it owes me nothing at this point . Still looking for something made here, but that will come with time.

·
Loving Life :-)
4,007 Posts

·
Registered
12,406 Posts
Other than the variances in spec's per model, how do Grizzly's mailorder drillpress qualities stack up against other China imports such as Tractor Supply's, etc. I already know I can't afford a d/p made here, so how would I judge manufacturing quality of the alternatives?

Grizz does have a very interesting company history! That guy is my hero!:)

http://www.grizzly.com/inside_grizzly.aspx

This surprised me since my last visit to Grizzley:

http://www.grizzly.com/products/featured/luthier_store.aspx

·
Collector of many tractors
15,274 Posts
All I know is that I drilled over a Million holes with this machine. I made a 40 foot sliding table to make yarn racks for the textile world.
the second picture is a yarn rack I made each rack has hundreds of holes.

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts