My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 98 Craftsman that had a carb problem when I got it, The needle didn't seat and filled the crankcase with gas. Anyway, I fixed that and changed the oil and it ran fine for the last 2 weeks. Start it up and it did not smoke at all. Instantly starts! Today, I had a guy coming to look and buy. I started it and let it run to charge the battery. It ran for 15 minutes and I got on it to move it up an incline in the yard. As soon as it started to move up the bank, it started to smoke. I stopped and backed it down, it stopped. Wait a few and it did the same thing! Turned it off, let it sit a few and checked the oil level to see if it was filling with gas again. Oil was slightly below the full mark and clean and no gas odor. I told the guy it was not running right and he bought it anyway. Could it be the beginning of a bad head gasket? I know the Briggs OHV are known for this problem. PLug is not oil soaked. Any ideas? I am wondering out of curiosity as to what it may be?

·
Certified Technician
8,420 Posts
Sounds like a possible head gasket issue for sure.

·
Premium Member
7,815 Posts
sometimes they just smoke on hills could be worn rings or valve guides/seals. i have also had problems in the past with certain brands of oil smoking when flat, or sometimes on hills where others brands were OK. dip stick could read wrong too it may be actually a little overfull which will smoke even on a new engine.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
THanks, Red- that confirms my suspicions. Every B&S I touch is a real learning experience for me!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts