1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Lawn Boys Never Die
2,049 Posts
When I was looking for parts for my recently auqired 14sb on the John Deere web site, it lists 14sb's with a silver and a green deck. I don't think there are alot of green deck models out there, mainly silver decks.

·
5K Poster!!!
5,142 Posts
Looks like an early version. I'll bet that was the first of the 14sb then they re-designed it to the silver decked style.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That deck style doesn't look like a 14SB. The deck and handle looks like a Lawnboy "school-bus"-style. The wheels are definately LB. I know that John Deere re-badged some LB mowers in the '80's, but I've never seen one with a Kawi engine.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just saw your post, Indy. It's definately unique, I guess I've only seen the later 14sb's we're all familiar with.

·
Registered
67 Posts
It is sorta like my 14sb (old thread here some where with the photos), but that has the kawi engine. I have a BS Quantum engine. Mine is a mid/early 80's model with only 1 speed, BBC, green deck, with the hi-vac style side shoot (I have a side discharge cover and a bagger cover, which connects like a Snapper or some LB models/kinda).

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This thing is like a strange Lawnboy/Snapper hybrid of some sort!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hi Guys'
I have a deere sb14 almost like that (looking for camera with pictures). It was bought new in 87 for $405 I still have the receipt. I also have all three attachments for the deck side discharge, blocker plate and bag adapter. It is self propelled and although it is single speed deere calls it a three speed (changed by adjusting the drive pulley width. Mine runs great but mostly sits in the garage and the STX mows the acre. Will send photos as soon as I find the camera.

·
Lawn Mower Fan
681 Posts
I saw one of those locally also. Reminds me a lot of the Honda HRS21s that have been recently posted, with the heaven-pointed side chute and "backwards" engine.

The handle reminds me a lot of the 4-square L-B models, in how it mounts and how the top blade engagement bail looks to operate.

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
I have one of those. My guess is that they are the original/older version of the more well known silver decked and redesigned 14SB.

Note how it has Lawnboy wheels, as well as handles, height adjusters, and so forth. They even have Lawnboy blades! I can get pictures of mine if wanted. It's more than likely that Lawnboy helped to produce the early 14SB.....

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
Yep, its an older model, before the silver models came out. Im almost positive lawn boy made the mower minus the engine. Tranny is the same as the lawn boy too... Its one of those worm gear models. I plan on picking one up that i know where it is and parting it out. The one i found is not BBC

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
Yep, its an older model, before the silver models came out. Im almost positive lawn boy made the mower minus the engine. Tranny is the same as the lawn boy too... Its one of those worm gear models. I plan on picking one up that i know where it is and parting it out. The one i found is not BBC
Yes, I think that mine has the Lawnboy transmission, the one that often fails and is troublesome. I think this is the self propel system on the older 14SB's, correct?

·
Lawn-Boy fan
256 Posts
I had the same mower that I found on the side of the road left for garbage. I could never get it running for more than a few seconds (carb problems). It was, by far, the heaviest mower I have ever owned.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Here is another hodgepodge 14sb. Only a single speed. Hasn't let me down in 4 or 5 years, but doesn't make anything close to a fine clipping (though it cuts fine, just bit clippings).

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts