My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well my 7268 wet the bed since I last used him. I turned the gas "off" but for some odd reason it decided to empty itself through the carb and ruin my nice new paint job.:banghead3 Obviously a bad needle and seat but really I did turn the gas off-mystery that needs solving.

Needless to say I didn;t want to use the 7268 without it's diaper so I cranked up the 14SB I was trying to keep clean and not use this season (along with the JX75) but I decided to give it a shot. Sat for 3-4 weeks started first pull and I grabbed 4th gear and was off.

Used the mulch plug and WOW what a nice cut. Tons of power. Didn't sturggle on the hills or in deep grass. Only thing I can't wrap my squash around is WHY did they use such HARD wheels. I mean for the amount that mower cost new you figure they would have some real rubber and some semi-soft compound on there. Other observations are 5th gear....HAULS....you better get ready to go when you grab that gear.

Some pics....

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Great looking machine there! Just sold one identical to it!

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nice mower! What was ever wrong with the jx75?
Oh I have pictures of that too. Motor is going back on tomorrow. The oil pan had a broken bolt that holds the BBC anchor bolt. I had to pull the BBC and oil pan and get a new pan gasket and crank seal. It is a work of art inside that Kawi motor. I also got two oil filter kits for both the 14sb and JX75 that are going on also.

Dealing with these Kawi 4 cycles goes against my 2 strokedness...buuuuutttt. They are NIIIICCCCEEEE MACHINES.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
How much are the oil filter kits? And where did you happen to get yours at?

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How much are the oil filter kits? And where did you happen to get yours at?
I got two of them for $42 off ebay!! Keep checking ebay or you can go to:

http://www.greenpartstore.com/John-Deere-Model-14SB-Walk-Behind-Mower-Parts.html

Also you can try Carl Ganzel [email protected] he's a small independent that KNOWS his JD's. He may be able to get that kit cheaper. The kit comes with bolts, the oil filter arm and a small gasket that's it.

Tell Carl I sent you. !

·
nothing of interest
1,025 Posts
My 7268 is doing the same thing, shut the fuel off and it still leaks the gas all out.
So yesterday when I mowed I only gave it about what I thought it would take to finish what I wanted to mow. I was pretty close,I let it run out of fuel, took about 5 more minutes.
Too lazy , too late in the year to tear it apart and fix it,
Ron

·
A semi-retired senior cit
2,132 Posts
Some times when you run them out of fuel they cure themselves, suck what ever out and through the motor. I got lucky a few time doing that not intensionally, I think it was water most of the times.

·
OMC & Ariens lover!
1,296 Posts
Oh I have pictures of that too. Motor is going back on tomorrow. The oil pan had a broken bolt that holds the BBC anchor bolt. I had to pull the BBC and oil pan and get a new pan gasket and crank seal. It is a work of art inside that Kawi motor. I also got two oil filter kits for both the 14sb and JX75 that are going on also.

Dealing with these Kawi 4 cycles goes against my 2 strokedness...buuuuutttt. They are NIIIICCCCEEEE MACHINES.
lol welcome to my world excatly,lawnboys are the best but the kawi is speical...:trink39:

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My 7268 is doing the same thing, shut the fuel off and it still leaks the gas all out.
So yesterday when I mowed I only gave it about what I thought it would take to finish what I wanted to mow. I was pretty close,I let it run out of fuel, took about 5 more minutes.
Too lazy , too late in the year to tear it apart and fix it,
Ron
Ron I feel the same ...I just stare at it for a second...go ho hum... and walk over to another mower.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Some times when you run them out of fuel they cure themselves, suck what ever out and through the motor. I got lucky a few time doing that not intensionally, I think it was water most of the times.
If the seat has some **** on it may be you can cure it this way..I think mine is just plain worn out.

It still baffeling that fuel cut off doesn't stop the tank from emptying. I can fill the tank with the fuel shut off and pull the fuel line and nothing comes out. Attached to the carb though it must create a suction as it cools or something...gremlins I suspect.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Well my 7268 wet the bed since I last used him. I turned the gas "off" but for some odd reason it decided to empty itself through the carb and ruin my nice new paint job.:banghead3 Obviously a bad needle and seat but really I did turn the gas off-mystery that needs solving.

Needless to say I didn;t want to use the 7268 without it's diaper so I cranked up the 14SB I was trying to keep clean and not use this season (along with the JX75) but I decided to give it a shot. Sat for 3-4 weeks started first pull and I grabbed 4th gear and was off.

Used the mulch plug and WOW what a nice cut. Tons of power. Didn't sturggle on the hills or in deep grass. Only thing I can't wrap my squash around is WHY did they use such HARD wheels. I mean for the amount that mower cost new you figure they would have some real rubber and some semi-soft compound on there. Other observations are 5th gear....HAULS....you better get ready to go when you grab that gear.

Some pics....

Nice lookin mower ! :thThumbsU

Ya, 5th gear is haulin...... :dogrun: IIRC its about 4.5mph

Did you paint the engine shroud??? it looks great, I don't know why but the top of the recoil on mine's has faded. I don't know why, its been stored in the garage since day one.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Nice lookin mower ! :thThumbsU

Ya, 5th gear is haulin...... :dogrun: IIRC its about 4.5mph

Did you paint the engine shroud??? it looks great, I don't know why but the top of the recoil on mine's has faded. I don't know why, its been stored in the garage since day one.
No I didn't paint it...mine was gray when I got it. I repeatedly soak it in wd40- Brings it back to black.

Man this thing runs well. Soooo smooth and quiet and powerful. I know why they charge alot for them. Nothing is broken, bent, or rusted on both of my JDs. Too bad they are so heavy and bulky compared to a switchblade 7268.

·
2 stroke enthusiast
6,568 Posts
5th gear is fast you say?! Thats' a sissy speed! I usually start off by splitting the axle with the air shifter, then launching outta the hole in 8th!

You think 5 GEARS is enough for a "pusher"?! :confused: :greendr:

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
5th gear is fast you say?! Thats' a sissy speed! I usually start off by splitting the axle with the air shifter, then launching outta the hole in 8th!
That's because you're a nitro sniffin' 31000 rpm maniac.........

·
Registered
506 Posts
Alright, you guys have got me wanting one of those 14SB's! Off to Craigslist I go! :00000057:

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Alright, you guys have got me wanting one of those 14SB's! Off to Craigslist I go! :00000057:
JX75 is the same thing only 6hp.

·
Registered
506 Posts
No luck so far....but I did find one of those Toro Recyclers w/ the 5HP Suzuki 4-stroke I've also been wanting. It'll probably be gone by the time I get a chance to look at it. :crybaby:

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
every serious collector should have an example of the worlds best lawnmower desighn . i even have the 2 cycle version! only one i dont have is the briggs quantum powered one. there needs to be a pristine example of a 14sb in the simthsonioun to honor this pinicle of perfection

1 - 20 of 21 Posts