My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am using my 14SB almost exclusively. What a smooth quiet gas efficent machine. Great handle height (no back aches). Cuts through anything. And I can do my whole yard and still have almost 1/4 a tank left (2 hours run time)!!

Any F series Lawnboy I use won't quite cut all of it (Except the 10520) which will barely make it..before needing a gas up. Any DF machine-forget it I have to gas up about 3/4ths way through.

The 14SB mulches well...bags great...very little vibration (boy that Kawa motor is smooth as silk) Handles decent for a heavy mower but the one and only thing that baffles me is the hard wheels. Man I wish they would have put semi pnuematic ones on there ala Lawnboy style. The ride would be so much less bouncy.

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
yep amazing machines -best lawnmower desighn of all time. deere is supposed to come out soon with a new version of the jx75

·
Registered
506 Posts
yep amazing machines -best lawnmower desighn of all time. deere is supposed to come out soon with a new version of the jx75
If that actually happens, I might have to break my vow to never buy a new mower again! I don't think I've ever heard such universal praise for a mower as I've heard on here about the 14SB/JX75. I haven't seen a single one for sale here locally, though.

One thing's for sure, the next mower I get will have the Kawasaki engine on it. I've also heard nothing but good about it, as well.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You are definitely right Dan....May be Kawasaki will make available to Deere a larger version of the hybrid (2 cycle/4 cycle) E4 technology engines on a mower.:thThumbsU

·
Lawn Mower Fan
681 Posts
When did J-D stop putting the Kawasaki engines on? Was it recent? Seems the only J-D walk-behinds I've seen have B&S engines now. Granted, they seem to be top-of-the-line B&S engine (complete with oil filters), but I was just wondering...

A J-D with a Kawi is definitely my next mower. You guys have me jealous whenever you talk about yours!

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
not bein nosy, you must have a pretty big yard

·
Registered
141 Posts
Gated communities are like that! Long winding roads/driveways, full security and the like. I'm surprised his grounds crew don't report all of this activity?!
Yeah, my daughter's not allowed to have a walk behind. Oh well, the pool takes up half the back yard anyway... or the half with grass... the rest is trees.

At her lake place the grounds crew does more hedge trimming and snow plowing than grass cutting.

They can cut the grass at their ocean weekend home but usually don't bother.

Seriously these three houses belong to my eldest child. Seems like I'm in a different universe when I go to visit.

I've looked at six 14SB's and one imposter but haven't found one worth bringing home... yet. Maybe Deere will come out with a new one that is worth bringing home.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Gated communities are like that! Long winding roads/driveways, full security and the like. I'm surprised his grounds crew don't report all of this activity?! GTP must really be a man on top of his game! :D
I live in the doghouse most of the time....you know that...i am married.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I am using my 14SB almost exclusively. What a smooth quiet gas efficent machine. Great handle height (no back aches). Cuts through anything. And I can do my whole yard and still have almost 1/4 a tank left (2 hours run time)!!

Any F series Lawnboy I use won't quite cut all of it (Except the 10520) which will barely make it..before needing a gas up. Any DF machine-forget it I have to gas up about 3/4ths way through.

The 14SB mulches well...bags great...very little vibration (boy that Kawa motor is smooth as silk) Handles decent for a heavy mower but the one and only thing that baffles me is the hard wheels. Man I wish they would have put semi pnuematic ones on there ala Lawnboy style. The ride would be so much less bouncy.
I recently swapped out the standard blade for the JD mulching blade and did notice it does mulch noticeably better with that blade..... Ya, I know just call me captain obvious :D

·
Lawn Boys Never Die
2,049 Posts
I just found another 14sb!!.. I am getting arrangements together for pick-up, pics to come of course.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Does anyone have the part number for the mulching blade and plug? I just ordered my new wheels from Agro yesterday. I like the SB14, but I don't bag and the chute blows grass everywhere.

By the way, when changing the oil or doing under deck maintenance which way do you tip the lawn mower? Forward will flood the C/C with oil and you 'll get blue smoke. Tip left or right?

Mine is somewhat loud, but I use a Harmony and it's very quiet. I want to keep using the JD, but I want to mulch. Without a bag the grass just blow out the bottom of the door.

There is another 14SB in Waco, TX. Very cheap at $40. I want a JX85 or a two stroke 12SB!

·
2 stroke enthusiast
6,568 Posts
I live in the doghouse most of the time....you know that...i am married.
Yeah, me too Gman! I pulled a trans cable from a 14SE today. Geeze! 5 speeds....you think it's enough?? I see these also have a Tuff Torq trans. Haven't fired it up yet until I replace the broken cable, but the 5 hp e-start Kawi looks nice! I know what you mean about the plastic wheels though GTP. Solid mower all around until you get to the wheels.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Yeah, my daughter's not allowed to have a walk behind. Oh well, the pool takes up half the back yard anyway... or the half with grass... the rest is trees.

At her lake place the grounds crew does more hedge trimming and snow plowing than grass cutting.

They can cut the grass at their ocean weekend home but usually don't bother.

Seriously these three houses belong to my eldest child. Seems like I'm in a different universe when I go to visit.

I've looked at six 14SB's and one imposter but haven't found one worth bringing home... yet. Maybe Deere will come out with a new one that is worth bringing home.
Shes not allowed to own a Walk-Behind LawnMower? That ant right, if youve got the freedom to buy what you want. If i pay $250,000 grand for a home, im gonna buy whatever kind of mower i want and whoever doesnt like it can kiss it. Thats redicilous and stupid.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Shes not allowed to own a Walk-Behind LawnMower? That ant right, if youve got the freedom to buy what you want. If i pay $250,000 grand for a home, im gonna buy whatever kind of mower i want and whoever doesnt like it can kiss it. Thats redicilous and stupid.
She could own one but couldn't cut her grass with it. Her land has restrictive covenants spelling out how it can be used. All owners agree to them when they buy the land and they're part of the title/deed. It's usually impossible to remove them and there are some very expensive penalties for violations sometimes including losing title to the land. It may not look it but she paid $800,000 for that house about four years ago. Probably couldn't get that for it today.

I lived in a subdivision years ago where the covenants specified what colors houses could be painted, what type of fencing was allowed, what kind and how many animals you could have, what type of vehicles could be parked (no RVs or motorcycles in sight), plus all the usual restrictions such as no mobile homes, etc. See article on covenants here.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Depending on the state and other factors "some" housing development covenants have time limits as in My neighborhood they expired after 10 years . Which it OK since by that time most of the original homeowners who crafted the terms so all would agree to the limits would have moved on by then , So the new owners can keep the limits as a guide line and not be subjected to neighborhood snoops.
I heard very bad things about the Homeowners associations down in Texas who have the power of God to enforce and seize property and even sell at auction even fully owned homes if the fines and fees and not paid on time ,all with out any court / judge over site . The associations have people cruse the area in golf carts looking everywhere for violations just to make people live in fear and toe the line.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
echo-the nice thing about the 5 speeds is they are close together in ratio-not a big jump like most.
They are close...except I feel 5th is a bit LONGER faster than 1-4. It feels like an overdrive alomost. Be interesting to see what the ground speeds are per gear. 1-3 creep. 4th is a good all around. 5th boogies.

·
Registered
141 Posts
For 1991 the 14SB was 1.2 mph in 1st to 4 mph in 5th. I assume the gearing is the same for all years. This was the widest range for a residential mower that year. It had the slowest speed of any mower that year and only the 6-speed YardMan had a slightly faster top speed of 4.1 mph.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts