My Tractor Forum banner

61 - 80 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Thanks for noticing the details.
You're right, I scrolled to the end, and I was not eligible for the recall.
I feel a lot better about that now.

Still seems nuts that a $1500 product can die in only 7 years.
And what's even more insane is that everyone here seems to think that's normal.
You get what you pay for. You bought a bottom of the line machine and you received a bottom of the line machine. Mowing 2 acres is a lot for a D105. Several people tried to talk you into a better machine that would last longer. All lawn mowers are not created equal.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #62 (Edited)
Why is mowing 2 acres "too much" for the D105 ?
I've heard several people say this.
What exactly does that mean?

Is it bad for the engine to be on for 2 hours?
Well, no, because the motor is not what died.
I hit a rock.
What does that have to do with acreage?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Most of that is hooey and not needed. The filter and mouse nest have nothing to do with the rock. Those are routine maintenance items on every machine.

All of that about 'might need heat' and similar is getting your money.

The pulleys and sheaves might just need to be lubed. A little spritz goes a long ways on those.

And they didn't even try to drive the machine at all?
I have a feeling that all it needed was some belts. Tranny might be been fine.
This may have been a simple repair
$1000 seems like a lot just to replace a few pulleys.
I suspect the tractor had plenty of service left.

·
Premium Member
2,344 Posts
Still seems nuts that a $1500 product can die in only 7 years.
And what's even more insane is that everyone here seems to think that's normal.
It's because most of us use our machines hard and know what it takes to do that. If I used your old mower to do what mine shrug off like nothing it would puke in an hour.

Many of us own older equipment that someone paid >$6000 for new. In the long run it's better to buy a used commercial machine and put parts on it than to buy a series of quickly declining new equipment.

That does require some mechanical ability though but most of these machines are relatively easy to work on and are worth fixing when they break a part.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Ever thought about trying to learn to fix it yourself? There is Plenty of info on the web and youtube.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Most of that is hooey and not needed. The filter and mouse nest have nothing to do with the rock. Those are routine maintenance items on every machine.

All of that about 'might need heat' and similar is getting your money.

The pulleys and sheaves might just need to be lubed. A little spritz goes a long ways on those.

And they didn't even try to drive the machine at all?
Really? Half that quote is maintenance items (delivery, belts and service kit). If the drive belt was broke, how could it be driven? Yeah you might have gotten away with knocking some of the repairs down, but most of those were maintenance items on what appears to be a somewhat under-serviced machine.

The real question, if OP is really lookng for advice, is if could you get away with putting $600 into the old machine, what would it be worth to you? Unrepaired it's paper weight. If you only truly use the machine 10 times a year, you aren't getting your money's worth buying new, especially if you aren't going to maintain it. The deck hitting something happens, and all belts go bad. It doesnt matter how much you spend initially. Having mice chew wiring and leaving nests under the hood just shows that regular maintenance isn't a thing. Don't do everything, but if you can get it working and serviced for reasonable price, why not keep it and run it until the engine or tranny goes.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
It's because most of us use our machines hard and know what it takes to do that. If I used your old mower to do what mine shrug off like nothing it would puke in an hour.

Until last week, my D105 was perfectly fine for my needs (and flat yard)
So, if it worked without issue for 7 years, why was 2 acres too much for the D105?
I never had a single issue with using it for 2 acres.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
I've heard several people say this.
What exactly does that mean?

Is it bad for the engine to be on for 2 hours?
Well, no, because the motor is not what died.
I hit a rock.
What does that have to do with acreage?

Lawn mowers and garden tractors are ranked by recommended mowing acres. Now this recommendation can vary across manufactures. But within a manufacturing line its usually pretty good indictor- you asked the original question 7 years ago difference between a $1499 D105 and $3,000 X300. And many people told you—you get what you pay for!! The D105 is recommended for 1.5 acres or less and truth be told anything over half an acre is pushing a D105 ( or any other entry level tractor) The more expensive mowers have stronger engines, stronger transmission, stronger frames, stronger mower decks etc.. No your engine didn’t go—but it could have. So yes the D105 will cut 2 acres or 3 or 4 acres for that matter- but its life span will be greatly reduced

Had you done your research- you would have realized for 2 flat acres you probably could have used a 48 inch deck (cut mowing time way down) – on say an at the time it was X320 , now X380- that would last you 20 years or more—but would cost you 4 K upfront. You dont seem to listen or pay attention to anyone but I'll give you some free advice anyhow. You can go cheap - get the cheapest LT or ZT and you’ll be asking same question in 5 years. And oh yeah stay away from big rocks, even the X700 series doesn’t like them

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
Everyone keeps saying "You get what you pay for"

If someone drives a crappy car into a brick wall, "You get what you pay for" ?
If someone drives a Ferrari into a brick wall, good thing you didn't cheap out, and the car is fine?
No, that makes no sense.

Why can't the D105 handle 2 acres?
It handled 2 acres like a champ for 7 years.

Then the belts broke and I hit a rock. (and I got a $1000 repair bill)
But, this has nothing to do with "You get what you pay for"
Broken belts and rock damage has nothing to do with paying $1500 or $15,000 for a tractor.

It handled 2 acres fine for me, every time I mowed the lawn.

Buying a cheap mower had nothing to do with my problem.
The problem was that I hit a rock and needed belts.
That has nothing to do with acreage or "You get what you pay for"

·
Registered
104 Posts
Update.

I hit a rock and caused $1000 worth of repairs.
Mower deck was damaged. Also, it would not go in reverse.

I have decided to scrap this mower.
Lasted 7 seasons. 147 hours.
Very disappointed.
Everyone keeps saying that because you kept saying you were disappointed in the mower, in a thread that was started because you were asking about the difference between an entry level machine and an x300 series. You mentioned the tractor didn't drive and it wasn't until the quote was posted that it turned out to be a snapped belt.

·
2,598 Posts
Everyone keeps saying "You get what you pay for"

If someone drives a crappy car into a brick wall, "You get what you pay for" ?
If someone drives a Ferrari into a brick wall, good thing you didn't cheap out, and the car is fine?
No, that makes no sense.

It handled 2 acres like a champ for 7 years.

Then the belts broke and I hit a rock. (and I got a $1000 repair bill)
But, this has nothing to do with "You get what you pay for"
Broken belts and rock damage has nothing to do with paying $1500 or $15,000 for a tractor.

It handled 2 acres fine for me, every time I mowed the lawn.
Buying a cheap mower had nothing to do with my problem.
The problem was that I hit a rock and needed belts.
That has nothing to do with acreage or "You get what you pay for"
In an earlier post You said that you were disappointed in such a way that it seemed that you were not happy with the quality of the machine....and it is kind of hard to understand that you mowed 2 acres for 7 seasons and only accumulated such low hours.....now you say it was fine until you hit the rock....I find it hard to believe that you cut the same lawn for all that time and never noticed a rock capable of inflicting that damage before you actually hit it...you bought a comparatively inexpensive tractor...you got your money's worth out of it...had you bought a more robust tractor, it would have withstood the impact of the rock a little better...as far as your repair estimate...I would never leave a machine with someone who cannot write up a better estimate with proper sentence structure and grammar....and a lot of those repair items are things that anyone using a tractor should be able to take care of himself.....most of us know enough to look for some of the things on your list and prevent them from getting out of hand.

·
Premium Member
2,344 Posts

Until last week, my D105 was perfectly fine for my needs (and flat yard)
So, if it worked without issue for 7 years, why was 2 acres too much for the D105?
I never had a single issue with using it for 2 acres.
Can you get it back? Fix the issues and keep on going. Who knows, it may surprise you.

My first mower was an LT that did more than it was rated for. As it aged the frequency of parts changes increased as stuff wore out and broke.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
No, I was out of town.
Tractor has already been scrapped without consulting me.

In hindsight, I would have gotten my tools and at least replaced the belts and got it moving again.
Not sure of the extent of the deck damage. Hopefully, it was real bad, otherwise, it seems we scrapped a mower over a busted belt.

That estimate still seems insane.
Does that look like 5 hours of labor to replace a few pulleys and belts?

·
Registered
104 Posts
No, I was out of town.
Tractor has already been scrapped without consulting me.

In hindsight, I would have gotten my tools and at least replaced the belts and got it moving again.
Not sure of the extent of the deck damage. Hopefully, it was real bad, otherwise, it seems we scrapped a mower over a busted belt.

That estimate still seems insane.
Does that look like 5 hours of labor to replace a few pulleys and belts?
When you say scrapped it, you left it at the repair shop?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
In an earlier post You said that you were disappointed in such a way that it seemed that you were not happy with the quality of the machine....and it is kind of hard to understand that you mowed 2 acres for 7 seasons and only accumulated such low hours.....now you say it was fine until you hit the rock....I find it hard to believe that you cut the same lawn for all that time and never noticed a rock capable of inflicting that damage before you actually hit it...you bought a comparatively inexpensive tractor...you got your money's worth out of it...had you bought a more robust tractor, it would have withstood the impact of the rock a little better...as far as your repair estimate...I would never leave a machine with someone who cannot write up a better estimate with proper sentence structure and grammar....and a lot of those repair items are things that anyone using a tractor should be able to take care of himself.....most of us know enough to look for some of the things on your list and prevent them from getting out of hand.
No, the machine was just fine.
I was disappointed that I thought the tranny died after only 7 years.
Now, I think it was just the belts.

I don't feel I got my money's worth out of it.
Just because it's "only" $1500, that does not mean it is disposable.
I've had $200 appliances, including lawn mowers, last me 20-30 years.

Agreed on the bad grammar.
The estimate seems bloated to me.
I can get belts and pulleys replaced on a BMW for less than that.

·
Registered
3,556 Posts
It's hard to convince you that there is a big difference between your old mower and the newer lines. Almost every item on the D and L models is inferior to the upper models. The pullies, belts, blades, spindles, deck, axles, frame, tires and wheels, electrical and of course the engine. All of those parts are stronger than on your old mower. The deck alone is of a thicker metal as well as the blades. We all know the smaller tranny, K 46, is ok but is not meant for heavy routine cutting of tall thick grass or pulling heavy attachments. The engine though it looks similar to the others is not as good either. In that sense, you do get what you pay for. Do you think for one minute the JD would use more expensive parts on there more expensive tractors if they could get away with cheaper parts? They have a warranty that is four years and they would not offer that if they thought your tractor would only last three. I figure that you got your money's worth at just a little over $200 a year to own and use it. That's not quite $17 per month or about 55 cents a day. I would say to you to buy what makes you happy. If another D/L model is ok then get a used D/L model.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I have a 2012 D110. It now has 256 hours on it, and mows 2-3 flat acres, between my place and the neighbors'. Other than lube, oil, filters, and blades, it has had --0-- issues. The hood is scratched some from the low branches. I picked up a replacement upper hood for $26 on Ebay. When I get to cutting the offending vegetation, I'll swap that out. That's it. Belts are all original. I did replace the front wheel bushings with bearings as preventive maintenance.
Box store machines do last if they are not abused.
This one fits my "needs" - notice I didn't say "wants" - just fine.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
I have a 2012 D110. It now has 256 hours on it, and mows 2-3 flat acres, between my place and the neighbors'. Other than lube, oil, filters, and blades, it has had --0-- issues. The hood is scratched some from the low branches. I picked up a replacement upper hood for $26 on Ebay. When I get to cutting the offending vegetation, I'll swap that out. That's it. Belts are all original. I did replace the front wheel bushings with bearings as preventive maintenance.
Box store machines do last if they are not abused.
This one fits my "needs" - notice I didn't say "wants" - just fine.
Well said.

61 - 80 of 93 Posts