My Tractor Forum banner

41 - 60 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
Update.

I hit a rock and caused $1000 worth of repairs.
Mower deck was damaged. Also, it would not go in reverse.
I will post details of the estimate later today.

I don't want to invest $1000 into a $1500 mower that is 6 years old.

I have decided to scrap this mower.
Lasted 7 seasons. 147 hours.
Very disappointed.

I hope you’re disappointed that you hit the rock rather than being disappointed in the mower.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Don't be disappointed and/or blame JD for poor quality. You could buy a $100,000 Corvette and run into a tree or telephone pole and cause $60,00 damage... NOT Chevy's poor quality!

Depending on what's broken/damaged, we may be able to help ya, and for a lot less $$$. Bob

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Bought a Deere D105 7 years ago for $1499
42" and 17HP. Seemed to work fine for my needs.

Hit a rock and bent the deck.
Also, the mower stopped moving (tranny?)
Got a $1000 repair estimate, and decided to scrap the mower.

Tractor has already been scrapped, but now I find out there was a recall.
I am ****** the dealer did not even mention that, and I wonder if they were going to double dip.

I need a new mower. I only need to mow 2 acres. Not hauling anything.

Can I find a mower with these 2 features?
1) With the D105, I had to manually shift from forward to reverse. Can I just be able to do that automatically on the gas pedal?
2) Also, I want mower to be able to engage while riding backwards

What models should I look at?
Also, should I stay away from Deere? What are decent alternatives?

What features should I avoid?
What is hydro ?

·
Blank Space
3,037 Posts
Hit a rock and bent the deck.
Also, the mower stopped moving (tranny?)
Got a $1000 repair estimate, and decided to scrap the mower.

Tractor has already been scrapped,
You've repeated the same thing several times on more than one board, but haven't really said much. What else did this rock do? It's very unlikely to have damaged the drive system. Why did you scrap this mower so soon after asking for advice? What else does this estimate show? What is/was the recall for? I'm guessing it didn't have anything to do with rocks.

·
Premium Member
4,694 Posts
Hey dude. I posted in another thread some pics of garden tractors I found for sale in upstate NY. Take a look at those models. They are older machines designed to last a lifetime if properly cared for.

Take a look at those models and look at their specs on Tractordata(especially the transmission) if you want to get an idea about which GTs will last.

https://www.mytractorforum.com/#/topics/1338579?page=2

·
Registered
476 Posts
Troll

·
Registered
422 Posts
Update.

I hit a rock and caused $1000 worth of repairs.
Mower deck was damaged. Also, it would not go in reverse.
I will post details of the estimate later today.

I don't want to invest $1000 into a $1500 mower that is 6 years old.

I have decided to scrap this mower.
Lasted 7 seasons. 147 hours.
Very disappointed.
I have my doubts that this is a legitimate post, but I'll reply anyway since it never hurts to give advice in a public forum where others may potentially learn from it later.

A mower deck is not made to ingest rocks. Doesn't matter if it was a cheap 100 series or a brand new X758, or even a different brand tractor/mower altogether. You as the operator are responsible for proper operation and a rock damaging your equipment is not the fault of the tractor nor the mower, so there's not much to be disappointed in as far as the equipment goes.

What all got damaged? Others have asked for the estimate and you haven't posted it yet. Also, a gear drive transmission is about as bulletproof as they get, so unless you drove over a huge boulder and cracked the housing, I find it hard to believe this supposed rock disabled your ability to operate in reverse.

Let us know what's damaged or what was listed on the repair estimate and we can help you epair it, likely for cheaper. There is not much to a 100 series lawn tractor.

To answer your questions:

"Hydro" means a hydrostatic transmission. These use a hydraulic pump driven by the engine to power a hydraulic motor which drives your wheels. Higher-end tractors also use hydraulic pressure from the transmission to operate hydraulic functions on the tractor such as implement lift and front end loader.

A hydrostatic trans will let you move between forward and reverse using the foot pedals. Older tractors may have foot pedals or a hand-operated lever, depending on the model.

Any JD model I have seen in the last decade or so gives the operator the ability to mow in reverse by activating a switch before engaging reverse, while the mower deck is running. Yours should have had this feature as well if it was only 7 years old.

If you're only mowing flat ground and not towing a trailer or using any other implement besides a mower deck, you can look at the current Deere E Series tractors. They're the replacement for the D series which seems to have served you well for 7 seasons until you put it out of commission with what must have been quite a large rock.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts

Agreed- his story doesn’t add up- he bought a bottom of the barrel entry level 100 series tractor for 2 acres. He says it took 2 hours to mow his property. Depending on how often he mowed he had to be putting 50 hours a year on tractor (probably more) Yet he says only 147 hours after 7 years . (average of 20 hours per year) So unless he was only mowing once a month doesn’t add up. Sounds to me like he just wore that tractor out at 300/400 hours . At any rate he brought a low end ( bottom of barrel) D105 for 2 acres- he burnt it out after 7 years of hard use- he should be happy it lasted that long with the overuse he was putting it through

·
Registered
422 Posts

Agreed- his story doesn’t add up- he bought a bottom of the barrel entry level 100 series tractor for 2 acres. He says it took 2 hours to mow his property. Depending on how often he mowed he had to be putting 50 hours a year on tractor (probably more) Yet he says only 147 hours after 7 years . (average of 20 hours per year) So unless he was only mowing once a month doesn’t add up. Sounds to me like he just wore that tractor out at 300/400 hours . At any rate he brought a low end ( bottom of barrel) D105 for 2 acres- he burnt it out after 7 years of hard use- he should be happy it lasted that long with the overuse he was putting it through
Yup. This is why I said I doubt that post is legitimate. Hours didn't add up in any sensible way. Also, his post count is only at 24 despite the join date of 2013.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #50 (Edited)
The transmission was toast. Would not go forward or reverse. A
And the deck was screwed up. The wife does all the mowing, not me.
Wife is out of town and she has all the paperwork.
She junked the tractor without discussing it with me.
I will post the repair estimate tomorrow evening.

I am also mad that there was a recall on the D105 transmission and the dealer said nothing about that.
Now did we get anything in the mail about it. I only looked this up after she junked the broken tractor. Too late now.
https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/2017/john-deere-recalls-lawn-tractors-and-service-part-transmissions

150 hours
75 mows.
7 seasons.
10 mows per year. (May-October, 2x a month)
Our winters are long.

Post count is 24.
We got the tractor in 2013.
I never had any reason to post again.
Until it broke, and I need to buy a new one.

I have decided to buy a zero turn mower.
We only mow, so no need for a tractor.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
I asked wife about the ROI button.
She said it was broken after 1 year.
I suspect she did not know how to use it.
It looks like reverse mowing is a common feature that all mowers have.
So that is a moot point.

I might get the entry level Toro Zero Turn for $2600

·
HD
271 Posts
The transmission was toast. Would not go forward or reverse. A

And the deck was screwed up. The wife does all the mowing, not me.

Wife is out of town and she has all the paperwork.

She junked the tractor without discussing it with me.

I will post the repair estimate tomorrow evening.

I am also mad that there was a recall on the D105 transmission and the dealer said nothing about that.

Now did we get anything in the mail about it. I only looked this up after she junked the broken tractor. Too late now.

https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/2017/john-deere-recalls-lawn-tractors-and-service-part-transmissions

150 hours

75 mows.

7 seasons.

10 mows per year. (May-October, 2x a month)

Our winters are long.

Post count is 24.

We got the tractor in 2013.

I never had any reason to post again.

Until it broke, and I need to buy a new one.

I have decided to buy a zero turn mower.

We only mow, so no need for a tractor.
You bought your tractor in 2013 but according to your link, the recalled tractors were sold in 2016 so it wasn't part of the recall.

It's possible that the rock damaged the linkage for the transmission and that is why it isn't going into gear. Was the deck repairable or was that a replacement?

Without hitting the rock, you'd have definitely gotten more life out of the tractor even for a bottom of the line unit.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
987 Posts
To the OP who is going to be buying a zero turn, do your homework. The ones that are affordable use disposable transmissions and you will be lucky to get 7 years of service from one.

I bought an X300 over 13 years ago. It uses the same 42" Edge deck as the 100 series, or at least that is what I heard. I have about 300 hours on it and have hit a few rocks and half buried stumps. I did replace the spindles many years ago since they were loose to the deck and the bolts they use are really screws and broke when I tried to remove them. If your blade hits something immobile something has to give. If your tractor is moving fast, it will be worse. Something will bend or break. The good news is that belt drive makes it likely that it won't be the crankshaft of the engine ?.

Just recently, I discovered that the weld on the bar that is across the opening of the deck on the exhaust side broke. Since I have uneven terrain, it is a wonder it hasn't broken sooner. I am pretty sure I can weld it back together and it will be fine. But, if I took it to the dealer, they might try and tell me it needs a new shell with my current components or a whole new deck. With labor, that would probably be $600-800. Even for an X300 I am not sure that makes sense, at least not for a 13 year old one. But, welding it together is probably a pretty quick fix (once I get a welder).

·
Blank Space
3,037 Posts
I bought an X300 over 13 years ago. It uses the same 42" Edge deck as the 100 series, or at least that is what I heard. I have about 300 hours on it ...

Just recently, I discovered that the weld on the bar that is across the opening of the deck on the exhaust side broke. Since I have uneven terrain, it is a wonder it hasn't broken sooner. I am pretty sure I can weld it back together and it will be fine. But, if I took it to the dealer, they might try and tell me it needs a new shell with my current components or a whole new deck. With labor, that would probably be $600-800. Even for an X300 I am not sure that makes sense, at least not for a 13 year old one. But, welding it together is probably a pretty quick fix (once I get a welder).
Mine has close to 1,100 hours and still runs fine. It has taken a few engine repairs and some transmission work. That same bar is broken. I welded it once, but recently noticed it's broken again. I'll deal with that .... someday.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
To the OP who is going to be buying a zero turn, do your homework. The ones that are affordable use disposable transmissions and you will be lucky to get 7 years of service from one.

I bought an X300 over 13 years ago. It uses the same 42" Edge deck as the 100 series, or at least that is what I heard. I have about 300 hours on it and have hit a few rocks and half buried stumps. I did replace the spindles many years ago since they were loose to the deck and the bolts they use are really screws and broke when I tried to remove them. If your blade hits something immobile something has to give. If your tractor is moving fast, it will be worse. Something will bend or break. The good news is that belt drive makes it likely that it won't be the crankshaft of the engine ?.

Slight correction- the X300 uses the Edge extra deck, while the d105 uses the Edge deck, The extra( better spindles etc) deck is more expensive and has added features for durability. OP bought a low end John Deere that wasn’t recommended for 2 acres. His original question back in 2013 was difference between a $1500 lawn tractor and a $3000 LT- The JD salesman tried to tell him a D105 wasn’t enough for 2 acres- he shrugged it off as an attempt to upsell him.

Well Forum junkie- the difference is quality of the build and reliability. All things considered you were lucky to get 7 years out of the D105- don’t cheap out on your ZT buy one rated for 2 plus acres and you may get some longevity out of it, if you can stay away from large rocks – which by the way isn’t the D105’s fault

·
Registered
454 Posts
To the OPs original question, my 2012 X300 with similar hours looks and operates like new.

I think part of the problem here is people call these machines tractors...they aren't. If you mow within the 1/3 rule on a flat well prepared reasonably sized lawn, the D machine will last a very long time. But most people dont because that is more like 25 to 30 mows a year even in upstate NY and requires a decent string trimmer to deal with all of the places that entry level machine shouldnt be going. I know plenty of people around me that are doing well to get 2 years out of an entry level machine.

Toro makes a nice zero turn that will certainly make mowing more pleasant but the $2600 version probably isnt the right one for your needs (no personal experience other than a friend has one for her 1/3 acre flat lawn). To me, the far cheaper in the long run solution is a lightly used heavy duty garden tractor for a 2 acre less than perfect lawn that you dont want to mow as often. There are plenty of good examples on CL in our area for under $5K. Used zero turns tend to sell at a significant premium over similarly built garden tractors. Good luck.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #57 (Edited)
As requested, here is the estimate for the repairs
$500 in parts, and $500 in labor (6 hours)
Did not seem worth it for a 7 year old mower that was $1500.

Basically, cost me $200/year to own.
Now sure if I should try a Zero Turn mower or stick with another entry level tractor.

·
Blank Space
3,037 Posts
Most of that is hooey and not needed. The filter and mouse nest have nothing to do with the rock. Those are routine maintenance items on every machine.

All of that about 'might need heat' and similar is getting your money.

The pulleys and sheaves might just need to be lubed. A little spritz goes a long ways on those.

And they didn't even try to drive the machine at all?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
You bought your tractor in 2013 but according to your link, the recalled tractors were sold in 2016 so it wasn't part of the recall.
Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Thanks for noticing the details.
You're right, I scrolled to the end, and I was not eligible for the recall.
I feel a lot better about that now.

Still seems nuts that a $1500 product can die in only 7 years.
And what's even more insane is that everyone here seems to think that's normal.

41 - 60 of 93 Posts