Registered
412 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,383 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Half the stuff On that website is Not always accurate Deere Part Number AM134770 which is what is in the D105 = Dana 4360-134:thThumbsU
But Deere does Have two separate Part Numbers for the transmission
I looked up both part numbers-

AM134770 description is a gear 5 speed transmission.
MIA12025 description is a CVT transmission MY2013

·
Super Moderator
15,383 Posts
Well according to My friends at Deere Design Dept who I just Talked to after Posting the above response. It is a Hybrid Transmission Design which Utilized the Dana 4360 so It Is Possible they could Utilize Parts from two Manufactures as the Did On the JD 265 thru 320 which Utilized Tuff-Torq and Sundstrand components. My friend didn't go into Much detail Just confirmed they did Use a Dana 4360 in the design:thThumbsU

·
Registered
841 Posts
Not a Dana...not a hybrid...a totally new trans from a new supplier as has been discussed in the other thread. Shares zero with the old trans.

Sent from the MTF Free App

·
Super Moderator
15,383 Posts
Not a Dana...not a hybrid...a totally new trans from a new supplier as has been discussed in the other thread. Shares zero with the old trans.

Well Your Entitled to your Opinion But Lets Not Take Over the Posters thread:thThumbsU

·
Super Moderator
15,383 Posts
I just bought a D105 John Deere for $1499 list (Free 2 year service plan)
17.5 HP. 42" width. 1.5 acres or less

The sales guy was trying to upsell me on the X300 series for $3500
22 HP 54" width.

It seemed like a huge jump in price (over 2x), and I just need a basic tractor for a yard (not a farm or something) I have about2 flat acres I mow. I don't think I need frills like auto transmission, etc I'm used to a very old basic tractor anyway. Was it a mistake to decline?
Well Most of the entry level Deere are really designed for a 1/2acre and Under meaning most of the Hydrostatic D100 series because they utilize a Tuff-Torq T40J which was designed for Use In a rear engine rider. But That’s where Deere saves some Money by not using a Tuff-Torq K46 except the top two model of the D100 series. You Might be fine with the D105 Variable transmission The D100 series are fine for mowing and occasional snow removal as Long as your treat it as a Lawn Tractor You should Be fine:thThumbsU

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
The D100 series are fine for mowing and occasional snow removal as Long as your treat it as a Lawn Tractor You should Be fine
Yea, all I will ever do it mow a 2 acre flat patch.

What types of things would be above its capacity? Low torque hauling? I'm curious what else you guys use a lawn tractor for..

·
Registered
68 Posts
Yea, all I will ever do it mow a 2 acre flat patch.

What types of things would be above its capacity? Low torque hauling? I'm curious what else you guys use a lawn tractor for..
I would advise not to pull or haul much with it. That particular transaxle may hold up, but in the past we have seen other smaller lawn mowers with the cheaper trans fail under a load.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
I took a trip to the dealer yesterday to replace my worn out hat and to stroll the lot awhile. I couldn't help but notice the section of the lot filled with tractors waiting for repair. 99% of them were D series and older LT series mowers. I think that makes a huge statement on how well they hold up and how reliable they are. BUT I'm also willing to bet the majority of them are abused and doing more than they were intended to do.

Not trying to scare you OP but it was the truth. I wouldn't have believed it if someone told me. But sure enough the whole repair lot was full of D tractors and only 1 X series.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I took a trip to the dealer yesterday to replace my worn out hat and to stroll the lot awhile. I couldn't help but notice the section of the lot filled with tractors waiting for repair. 99% of them were D series and older LT series mowers. I think that makes a huge statement on how well they hold up and how reliable they are. BUT I'm also willing to bet the majority of them are abused and doing more than they were intended to do.

Not trying to scare you OP but it was the truth. I wouldn't have believed it if someone told me. But sure enough the whole repair lot was full of D tractors and only 1 X series.
Our lot is the same way, but most of these D series and L series and LA series, are all abused. people think that just because it says DEERE on it that its a x700 series and they commercial cut or they have 5-10 acres and wonder why this mower isn't holding up.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
I just started a thread about what I saw in the repair lot. Someone suggested they were in for spring service but I doubt it. If that were the case there would be a variety of mowers and not just D series. My hunch is neglected machines in for warranty repairs. And the dealer seems in no hurry to repair them

·
Registered
153 Posts
I had a new LA175 a few years ago, 54 inch deck. I keept it one season. Not only was the tractor not heavy enough the cut was bad from the deck. Found out I had no blade options from deere, standard or multch. But they were also shorter than the blades for an edge deck found on the X series. Meaning blade over lap was less, explaining why it left strips. Traded it on an X340 the next year. Cant compare the two machines. The x is more comfortable to operate and will outlast the cheaper line. In this case you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Keep sales volume in mind here guys. There are 10-times the number of 100's out there versus the X models. Keep that in mind when seeing them in the shop. It's like saying I saw 10 Briggs-powered push mowers in the shop but only one with a Tecumseh, so obviously the Tecumseh is a superior engine! No, one is just sold by the butt loads so there is more "opportunity" for repair or service.

Let's end this 100 bashing. These models provide a good value product to the customer, work as intended, and bring customers into the JD family. And without them, there likely wouldn't be the X lines, or at least at the prices we have today.

JD brothers unite!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Did my first mow. Took 2 hours. Since it was the first mow of the year, I had to stop to move branches and rocks, etc. So far, so good. I will post another update after a few more mows.

·
MTF Tractor Nut
4,309 Posts
Good to hear that you're happy with the machine. Enjoy!!!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #39 (Edited)
Update.

I hit a rock and caused $1000 worth of repairs.
Mower deck was damaged. Also, it would not go in reverse.
I will post details of the estimate later today.

I don't want to invest $1000 into a $1500 mower that is 6 years old.

I have decided to scrap this mower.
Lasted 7 seasons. 147 hours.
Very disappointed.

·
Registered
459 Posts
How big was the rock?? And what does $1K buy you?

21 - 40 of 93 Posts