My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just bought a D105 John Deere for $1499 list (Free 2 year service plan)
17.5 HP. 42" width. 1.5 acres or less

The sales guy was trying to upsell me on the X300 series for $3500
22 HP 54" width.

It seemed like a huge jump in price (over 2x), and I just need a basic tractor for a yard (not a farm or something) I have about2 flat acres I mow. I don't think I need frills like auto transmission, etc I'm used to a very old basic tractor anyway. Was it a mistake to decline?

·
Registered
68 Posts
I just bought a D105 John Deere for $1499 list (Free 2 year service plan)
17.5 HP. 42" width. 1.5 acres or less

The sales guy was trying to upsell me on the X300 series for $3500
22 HP 54" width.

It seemed like a huge jump in price (over 2x), and I just need a basic tractor for a yard (not a farm or something) I have about2 flat acres I mow. I don't think I need frills like auto transmission, etc I'm used to a very old basic tractor anyway. Was it a mistake to decline?
You did good. I like the D105 for what it is. Pretty sure you cant get a x300 with a 54" though.

·
Deere 330 Killer
17,892 Posts
Having used both, the x300 is a superior machine in terms of build quality and features. But for just mowing, both will get the job done

·
blinged out
1,069 Posts
if your just cutting grass with it. It's all you need! I had a Dynamark for over 10yrs. and it cut the grass just fine! I stepped up because the local driveway blowing service got to slow arriving and I needed to tow some toys around!

·
Former MTF Admin.
25,763 Posts
You should be just fine with the D105, I just ordered one myself a week ago, waiting for it to come in :).

·
Premium Member
6,041 Posts
Is that near Hicksville?

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
You bought what you needed, that's what matters. Do the proper maintenance and don't abuse it and it should last you a long time.

I compared a X340 to the big D170 at Home Depot for awhile. The X340 was hands down a better built machine. But I NEEDED the heavier machine for my rugged Kentucky property. If I had a flat residential yard to mow the D woulda been just fine. Besides I don't see the X300 as a huge step up from the Ds. A X320,40,60 is a different story.

·
Premium Member
281 Posts
If the d105 has the old peerless gear drive.....it'll last longer and be more trouble free than the t40j/k46 the x300 model has in it. Basically when buying a lt/gt the transmission should be a primary deciding factor as to the model you choose.

·
Super Moderator
15,260 Posts
If the d105 has the old peerless gear drive.....it'll last longer and be more trouble free than the t40j/k46 the x300 model has in it. Basically when buying a lt/gt the transmission should be a primary deciding factor as to the model you choose.
It's Not a peerless it a Dana 4360-134 with a added Variator in the D105 Deere hasn't used Peerless gear transmissions since the STX yellow deck series. Starting with the STX Black deck they went to Dana for there Gear Transmissions In there Lawn Tractors. The Gear driven transmission for the 240, 260 GT242 & GT262 were Made by Tuff-Torq :thThumbsU

·
Registered
351 Posts
Just an FYI on the mower cutting width. I had a 54" Scotts (made long ago by Deere for Big Box consumption. When I decided to go with an X-series, I cut back to 48" deck, just to make it a tad easier to get in and out of the shed.

I mow about 1 1/2 acres, and I swear the cutting time seems almost identical. IMHO, you don't need 54" cutting width. If it does take a fraction longer, I get more seat time, anyway. It's a win-win.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
It's Not a peerless it a Dana 4360-134 with a added Variator in the D105 Deere hasn't used Peerless gear transmissions since the STX yellow deck series. Starting with the STX Black deck they went to Dana for there Gear Transmissions In there Lawn Tractors. The Gear driven transmission for the 240, 260 GT242 & GT262 were Made by Tuff-Torq :thThumbsU
Wasn`t the D105 the model to use the General Transmission composite drive unit? Very interested to see how reliable it is long term.

http://generaltransmissions.com/

·
Super Moderator
15,260 Posts
Wasn`t the D105 the model to use the General Transmission composite drive unit? Very interested to see how reliable it is long term.

http://generaltransmissions.com/
Its still a Dana 4360-134 for the transmission itself But has a Variator design where You don't Have to shift Gears Kind of Like the MTD design for Troy-Bilt Lawn tractor from the MID 2000's or the Cub Cadet LTX1040:thThumbsU

·
Registered
68 Posts
Its still a Dana 4360-134 for the transmission itself But has a Variator design where You don't Have to shift Gears Kind of Like the MTD design for Troy-Bilt Lawn tractor from the MID 2000's or the Cub Cadet LTX1040:thThumbsU
Have you looked at the trans? I checked out one today on the lot, It seems to be some type of plastic housing. Do you know anything about what it is exactly?

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Have you looked at the trans? I checked out one today on the lot, It seems to be some type of plastic housing. Do you know anything about what it is exactly?
Click on the link on post #17 in this thread. If you go through the website, you can read about it and see a video.

1 - 20 of 93 Posts