My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got the dozer blade mounted and took the 149 for it's first run. Bladed the drive and did some leveling in the garden. I am pretty impressed with the power and traction. The blade does more than I would have guessed.
It still needs some lovin. It starts pretty hard if it is less than 45 degrees and not at all if its around freezing. The travel lever needs attention. It backs up barely and going forward the lever quickly creeps to full speed.
This one might be a keeper, add some wheel weights and chains for winter, maybe a mid blade. One of the things I like is it's FAST so will make a great run about for the garden and shop. Maybe I'll make a wrecker on it for towing dead riders, I'm always needing to move them around and dragging them with the skidsteer is a pain..

·
Premium Member
2,272 Posts
All the things you listed above would be great tasks for the 149! They're such an awesome machine.

Have you done a thorough inspection of the ignition system from battery to spark plug? Has the carb been cleaned? Have you checked the timing? All it takes is a few hours of tinkering with these things and you'll probably have a much better starting and running 149. These things also need a real strong battery to crank over and fire. Since the ignition's power and spark comes directly from the battery, if it is weak at all it won't quite produce the kind of spark needed to combust the a/f mix.

·
Registered
7,945 Posts
I agree with jsoluna. The biggest problem I had, especially with a hydro, was realizing how big of a battery I needed.

I bought a QL 1000 with a Deka battery. I tried that battery in my 1872 and was amazed!!

Amps from the battery, and new ignition parts, along with FRESH fuel, and that 149 will start at any temperature.

When I first quickly read your post, you were talking about the blade, then mentioned 45 degrees the tractor would not start.

I was trying to figure out how the angle of the blade effected starting!!

It is terrible getting old!! LOL :crybaby:

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did check the spark and it has a nice white, hot spark but a good tune up is in order. When cranking with the choke on and no air cleaner, gas dribbles out the intake of the carb.

·
Premium Member
2,272 Posts
I did check the spark and it has a nice white, hot spark but a good tune up is in order. When cranking with the choke on and no air cleaner, gas dribbles out the intake of the carb.
That scenario you described is entirely normal on the Kohlers. :) Noticed that myself on my 129. There an update bulletin that came out back in the 70's that attempts to remedy an over-rich mixture when choking by drilling a hole in the choke plate to allow more air into the engine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts