My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm brand new to the site and to tractors. I picked up a 1458 that has a tecumseh oh-140 engine with a walbro LMH carb. Currently it only does two things, runs at REALLY high revs or sputters and dies. I soaked and rebuilt the carb because of this and it only slightly helped. I found a service manual and saw the governer. I have no idea how it works or much else on this tractor at this point and was hoping someone could help a brother out!
[/ATTACH]
here's a couple pics of this beauty!

Attachments

·
Bolens 1886-01
3,192 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

Well, it could be the governor but before you look into that make sure the plug and the wire is good. When the engine is running you should be able to see the governor linkage moving slightly as it adjusts for the engine load. Try putting load on the engine and see if that governor lever moves it may just be sticking. There's enough of us here to figure out what is going on it just may take a few tries.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I haven't replaced the spark plug or the wire. You're talking about the spark plug wire, right? I have noticed the governer working. It happens to be what is sending the carb wide open. I have to nurse the throttle in order for it not to run away. I will be replacing plug and wire in a few days. I have to go to work to pay for my new habit!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Jason,
I'll post a few pics of the linkage in a bit. I believe it is all hooked up. Don't know if it's proper but it is hooked up.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
[/ATTACH]
Jason,
Here's the linkage for the throttle/governer. I can see it better in the pic than at the tractor. I need better lighting, wow.

Attachments

·
makin noise!
323 Posts
looks like the throttle cable may be contacting the governor arm, might just be the angle in the pics but check that. that could cause the throttle to stick eigther open or closed.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Fried,
The throttle isn't sticking and the governer is definitely working. I'm not sure if it's working right though since it opens the throttle WIDE once the engine warms up. I am wondering about the possibility of a vacuum/pressure leak.

Jason,
Thanks for the links to the manual and parts list! Funny thing is I just bought a parts list because I couldn't find one.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
hello , I would disagree with you that the gov is definitely working- otherwise- it would not rev- you may have an internal problem with the gov flyweights and shaft- i have had this problem before- you need to take off the engine cover and make sure the flyweights on the gov gear are moving in and out smoothly- and also pushing the center shaft out to move the external gov rod- the gov gear rides right on the cam gear- and it`s above the oil level when sitting- if it was sitting a long time without being run- it can rust and stick

·
Tractor Aficionado
1,010 Posts
if you take and hold the throttle linkage while the engine is running at high revs and idle it down does it idle?

if it does idle you have a linkage problem,
if it dos not idle you have problems so forth... a video would really help with this situation.....

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Bolensboy60,
I will look into the governer this weekend. It had been sitting long enough for the gas in the tank to varnish so it sat for quite a bit. I figured since the governer linkage was moving with the engine running it was working. I have never worked on small engines and this is all crash course education for me. Pretty exciting!

JohnDeere 110,
I can manually adjust the speed to a point. I can get it to settle a little but then it starts to bog. If I adjust the choke it comes back to life but then I'm trying to play with the throttle and choke at the same time. Too much output for my brain.

Something is definitely not right. It hasn't idled right since I got it and I have to use starter fluid to get 'er going. Before and after the carb rebuild it runs the same. The anticipation is KILLING me! I want to make this badboy run like nobodys business!

·
Registered
282 Posts
Bolensboy60,
I will look into the governer this weekend. It had been sitting long enough for the gas in the tank to varnish so it sat for quite a bit. I figured since the governer linkage was moving with the engine running it was working. I have never worked on small engines and this is all crash course education for me. Pretty exciting!

JohnDeere 110,
I can manually adjust the speed to a point. I can get it to settle a little but then it starts to bog. If I adjust the choke it comes back to life but then I'm trying to play with the throttle and choke at the same time. Too much output for my brain.

Something is definitely not right. It hasn't idled right since I got it and I have to use starter fluid to get 'er going. Before and after the carb rebuild it runs the same. The anticipation is KILLING me! I want to make this badboy run like nobodys business!
If it sat that long you could have varnish throughout the carb. Could be effecting the operation of the throttle and choke plates.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i say try another carb b4 u tear into the engine
I was thinking about that too. My problem is finding one. Seems like there's not a lot of Bolens fans out in Oregon. Maybe I just haven't uncovered the right rock yet.

But I am wondering if I can use a different carb. I currently have a Walbro LMH 4 on it.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
make sure you don`t have an air leak between the carb and the head- she may be sucking in excess air through their and making it rev running way too lean

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm trying to load a video of my tractor running but it's taking forever. I loosened the governer arm and ran it without and it looks like I possibly have two issues right now. The first is I cannot run the engine without some sort of choke. If I throttle up I have to open it up for more air but as soon as I let off I need to close up the choke or it dies. Second, if I'm actually getting the RPM's up high enough, the governer isn't moving. I need to be sure I'm getting up to speed before I troubleshoot the governer so I think it's back to the drawing board with the carb. I'll most likely pull it tomorrow and take it to a small engine guy in the hopes that he'll teach me something! Thanks for all your tips and pointers I appreciate it! I'll keep you posted on the progress as I make some.:thanku:

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have a 1250 that i love.bolens was on cutting edge of small tractors. They gave a homeowner a nice machine at a good price. I like all the machines but bolens was a leader..........some will differ . As for your problem your governor i think is the key keep looking. Bolens fans are in oregon and through the rest of world. Not sure how i got the bug for them they just had good ideas. There are a ton of good people on this site i am sure you will get nailed down. Enjoy your new tractor.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts