My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Bolens 1886-01
3,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've done enough restorations on my tractors for original that I wanted to do a tube frame with a twin 18HP engine. The choice of engine is a mid 80's Briggs 18HP twin with dual exhaust. I've got a few of them and they run really well. Here's a few things I've been working on so far:

make motor mounts
bush the pulley for 1" shaft
modify the console tower to clear the dual exhausts
lengthen the hood by 3 1/8"
make a front hood mount extension for the front axle
replace rear transaxle seals

So I have done all but the hood extension which I am in process of doing now. Here are some starting pictures.

Attachments

·
Bolens 1886-01
3,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Being that this was an H14 it had that lousy under the seat, you can't change easily without removing the seat pan and making a mess oil filter that is no longer available. So, I took the tool box and all the plumbing off of a spare 1256 and repiped the filter to be the type that is mounted in the tool box with easy access. You need to remove the brake rotor in order to pull the tubing and put the new one in but it is not too hard to do that unless it was rusted on like mine was. A gear puller gently put on with pressure and a hammer did the trick.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
Ed, Everything look absolutely first class!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
844 Posts
:thThumbsU :thThumbsU

Really, really looking great. Keep it up.

:trink39:

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
Subscribed.
I love engine swaps, and your work is so excellent that I am anxious for the results on this one.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Nice work Ed, those dual exhaust flatheads have a nice sound to them. I did the trans filter sawp. You can use the 90 degree elbow at the inline filter, the better bet is to swap the nipples on the hydro, and not use the elbow. I used the elbow, and ended up having to slightly bend the steel tubing to clear the brake rotor.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Nice work Ed, those dual exhaust flatheads have a nice sound to them. I can't wait to see how the hood goes. As much as I love the fuel economy, power, and dependability of the clonda, I can't bring myself to cut the hood.

·
Bolens 1886-01
3,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the comments guys. Actually, my work is ok for the tools at hand but could always be better. I do like those Briggs twin so far. All of them that I have run pretty smooth and do have a great sound.

·
Bolens 1886-01
3,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nice work Ed, those dual exhaust flatheads have a nice sound to them. I can't wait to see how the hood goes. As much as I love the fuel economy, power, and dependability of the clonda, I can't bring myself to cut the hood.
I'm going to 'attempt' to add onto the rear of this hood so I won't need to cut it. It should be interesting to see how my (not so good) welding capabilities will be on this one....

Speaking of a cut hood, here are a few pics of my 1556 loader that I did. I cut the hood and made it articulated so that I could gain access to everything with the loader in place.

Attachments

·
Bolens 1886-01
3,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
awesome work! why does the exhaust face up on the loader-tractor?
Well I could not have it stick out the side because it would not clear the loader frame. So I thought about pointing down but not enough room there either. My only two choices were up or towards the front. Towards the front was tricky because it wanted to rub against the hood when you open it. So I said up it goes and welded it that way. All my tractors live indoors so no fear of any water getting in the exhaust anyway :trink39:

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
Good thinking Ed and all tractors should live inside.

·
Bolens 1886-01
3,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the kudos guys. I'm pretty limited to some tooling like no sand blaster or machine shop so a lot of it ends up being 'a best effort'.

I have a good friend who I rely on when I run into a jam. Unfortunately we can only converse over emails as he lives far away.

Right now I am taking his suggestions as to how to make my 3 1/8" hood extension as well as how to go about welding it to the hood. This is proving to be quite a learning experience on that front.

This is a fun hobby and being just a hobby there is no pressure to rush to get anything done on time.

·
Bolens 1886-01
3,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ed I like the work you do that is the way I would do it, I like it perfect and to original show room spec.
Thanks, my goal on this one is to make it look as much like the original such that anyone who is NOT familiar with Bolens will think it is just a restored Bolens with a factory motor. So far it tucks up under the hood pretty nicely. Unfortunately the gas tank will be mounted behind the seat on the seat pan but won't look too bad (I hope)

I've seen some of your work and Steevo's work on this forum. I hope to make this one worthy :praying:

·
Registered
844 Posts
Seeing several other posts, like Steevo's pic site on his projects, and other Bolens I have viewed on here you all are being inspiration to get into trying a bit of building/painting/welding etc....

Keep up the great work guys.

·
Bolens 1886-01
3,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Seeing several other posts, like Steevo's pic site on his projects, and other Bolens I have viewed on here you all are being inspiration to get into trying a bit of building/painting/welding etc....

Keep up the great work guys.

You should do it. There are enough good folks here to help you out with questions.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.