My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a CC model 1440. It has the 14hp twin cylinder engine that runs perfectly. If I just run the engine, it charges as it's supposed to. If I flip on the switch for the pto for the mowing deck, the generator light comes on for a few seconds and then goes out. The whole time it's run with the pto on for the deck, the battery discharges. Any ideas what could be wrong? I'm thinking the pto is shorting internally, but don't want to replace it and find that's not the problem. Suggestions? Thanks.
Duane

·
Deceased as of 06 February 2021
2,076 Posts
Could be that the battery is getting weak (perhaps a bad cell) and it's drawing more from the stator than it should. When you add the PTO (electromagnet) your voltage regulator doesn't like that it's not able to charge the battery sufficiently. It also could be a bad regulator. I'd first test the battery and go from there.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Those "warning lights" were problematic. Take a good VOM or DVM and measure the voltage at the battery with with the PTO engaged. If it is reading 12+ VDC, then the issue is the warning light circuitry. If it is below, then your charging coils or V/R is bad.

·
Deceased as of 06 February 2021
2,076 Posts
Any success, Duane?

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nothing done on the 1440. It was given to me by a buddy who bought a new CC XT3 GSX. He was tired of cutting grass and then putting the charger on the 1440 every time he was done. It is sitting in my garage until the weather warms up a little more. I'm going to put in a new battery and voltage regulator as the first thing I do to it. If that doesn't do it, I'll check the stator output and the worst thing would be that I have to replace it, too. I did notice when I pushed it into the garage that the date on the battery is Oct. 2006. I'd think that has something to do with it. When I solve all of this, I'll get back to everyone.
Duane

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.