My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A friend has a MF 1433B. He has a frontend loader and a back hoe (the backhoe is not permanent, it's an attachment). He was moving mulch with the front end loader the other day. All but one of the bolts holding the front of the tractor to the block broke. He's wondering if he can weld the front to the block (getting the broken bolts out is proving to be a bear).

·
22,338 Posts
Weld a washer with a hole smaller than the bolt to the broken bolt, then weld a nut to the washer.

If you can't get the tractor to a welding machine, take a welding torch to the tractor.

·
22,338 Posts
I've only seen and done stick welding for that job.

I'm thinking that a mig doesn't put enough heat into the whole thing, bolt and block. With a stick, the bolt heats up fast and transfers a bunch of heat to the heavy block, which cools slower than the bolt.

I don't know for sure, but it sounds logical. :dunno:

At least it worked for us 99% of the time at the steel mill.

·
Registered
821 Posts
If your talking welding the side struts to the block, DON'T!! If a bolt is broke off in the block, drill it out, easy out, clean the threads and do it right! I can't be understanding this whole thing correctly. Are you saying you want to weld those side plates to the engine block?? If that's the case, you need more help than just fixing a tractor! Sorry, but that's just my honest opinion. PJ

1 - 6 of 6 Posts