My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking for a 318 but found this.
I noticed it looks to be spray bombed from the pics of the paint over the lines.

Has hub caps and Mower deck wheel weights.
What is this worth?
Haven't checked it out in person yet.

Attachments

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
Depends. What does the deck look like? How does it run? $550-$1,000. That quick rattle can paint job worries me a little.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
I agree with D-Dogg, the rattle can worries me as well... I say you need to drive it around first to determine a price...

·
Super Moderator
35,862 Posts
Tell you what I'd do, I'd hook it to a tree and make sure that the hydro could spin the tires! Then if there is a mower deck, ask to do a little mowing (10 minutes at WOT). If the owner is hesitant about that then there is something they're trying to hide. Neither of those tests will hurt that tractor at all if it's mechanically sound! If it passed then the price would be around $1000

·
THE TRACTOR HUNTER
2,225 Posts
Depends. What does the deck look like? How does it run? $550-$1,000. That quick rattle can paint job worries me a little.
Ditto. But what year is it? Do you have any details about it? The very fresh paint is likely hiding rust, cracks, etc, however it sure makes it look better than it probably did prior to him listing it for sale. But then again who cares if you are going to be using it as a mower. As is, I wouldn't do more than $800, perhaps $900 since it has the nice cast iron rear weights and the PIMP front hub caps.

·
Banned
12,901 Posts
PA guy if that was mine and it was in sound condition i would still NOT allow someone to tie it to a tree.. no bloody way.. If ya wanted to try mowing thats fine.. wot for a hour fine.. try and cut the hay field fine.. BUT no way would i tie anything i own to a tree and go forward with it.. I don't even do that to my 440 dozer..

·
Super Moderator
35,862 Posts
Ditto. But what year is it? Do you have any details about it? The very fresh paint is likely hiding rust, cracks, etc, however it sure makes it look better than it probably did prior to him listing it for sale. But then again who cares if you are going to be using it as a mower. As is, I wouldn't do more than $800, perhaps $900 since it has the nice cast iron rear weights and the PIMP front hub caps.

The bezel on that one looks good though and that is always a plus too!

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
PA guy if that was mine and it was in sound condition i would still NOT allow someone to tie it to a tree.. no bloody way.. If ya wanted to try mowing thats fine.. wot for a hour fine.. try and cut the hay field fine.. BUT no way would i tie anything i own to a tree and go forward with it.. I don't even do that to my 440 dozer..
Theo claims you can pop a wheelie on a strong running one. Would have liked to have seen his face when that happened.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
It looks like a nice looking H-3 to me. But if you look close you will see the starter solenoid bolted to the out side of the cowl. That makes me wonder.

It's also a late model .
The hood,grill and light panel look real good as well as the rear tail lights .Normally those things are the first to get trashed.

I give it two thumbs up. $600.00-$1000.00!

PS.......I wouldn't ask the seller if you could chain it to a tree !! :tsk:
lol lol

·
THE TRACTOR HUNTER
2,225 Posts
Theo claims you can pop a wheelie on a strong running one. Would have liked to have seen his face when that happened.
I think this happened to Theo when he pulled his H3 out of the back of his truck after picking it up.:fing20:

·
Super Moderator
35,862 Posts
I put my 318 up against a tree with the front weight bracket on and cracked the hydro with Ag's on and it spun the tires and barely lugged the engine! This will not hurt that tranny if its in good mechanical shape. I wouldn't run it that way for long just enough to check that the tranny wasn't weak!

·
Banned
12,901 Posts
I'm Not saying it will or wont hurt it.. But if i was selling my 317 and someone said i wanna tie it to a tree they would be leaving pretty fast.. If its yours go ahead.. BUT what if a axle snaps or anything goes. Then who owns it? These are old units.. Yes i would like to buy a good running one. yes i would like to not get taken.. BUT There is a limit to things you should be asking to do.. Tie it to a tree is not in the top fifty of things should be asked...

·
THE TRACTOR HUNTER
2,225 Posts
I put my 318 up against a tree with the front weight bracket on and cracked the hydro with Ag's on and it spun the tires and barely lugged the engine! This will not hurt that tranny if its in good mechanical shape. I wouldn't run it that way for long just enough to check that the tranny wasn't weak!
Shoot. Put an inch of snow on the ground and I can spin my 318 or 140 with the Ag's on them no problem. So I know I wouldn't need to tie the 318/140 to a tree to make sure the trany works.:thThumbsU

Now put some HDAP's on there, and those beeoch's will climb a tree.:fing32:

·
Super Moderator
35,862 Posts
I'm Not saying it will or wont hurt it.. But if i was selling my 317 and someone said i wanna tie it to a tree they would be leaving pretty fast.. If its yours go ahead.. BUT what if a axle snaps or anything goes. Then who owns it? These are old units.. Yes i would like to buy a good running one. yes i would like to not get taken.. BUT There is a limit to things you should be asking to do.. Tie it to a tree is not in the top fifty of things should be asked...
Fair enough! But when I sell tractors if I say they're in good shape (I've sold 2 in good shape and one not, and parted another) I let the buyer test them out as much as they want. If it breaks on my property I don't expect I should be selling it as in good shape! I had one guy ask me to change all the attachments and demo them, I did it! He said that was what sold him, he knew they'd work because I didn't bat an eye!

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
Fair enough! But when I sell tractors if I say they're in good shape (I've sold 2 in good shape and one not, and parted another) I let the buyer test them out as much as they want. If it breaks on my property I don't expect I should be selling it as in good shape! I had one guy ask me to change all the attachments and demo them, I did it! He said that was what sold him, he knew they'd work because I didn't bat an eye!
You sound as crazy as that guy who put an engine he was trying to sell in his good tractor to make a video of it running.
:trink40:

·
Registered
552 Posts
My 68 140 H1 will pop a wheelie if you get a little to ambitious on the hydro lever!Scared the crap out of me cuz i didnt think the old girl could do it! 42 years old and heavy as heck but still has some spunk left in her ;-)

·
Registered
552 Posts
PA 318 Guy do you have any tractors 4 sale right now?I want to come over and test them out and make you change all the attachements just so i can hang out and play with your tractors lololol jk
Moto

1 - 20 of 31 Posts