My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
I was running the 140 with loader yesterday and it seemed to me the rear is louder than ever. Of course I am not nice to it in any way shape or form :biglaugh: My question is has anyone switched the earlier rear for the later drum brake style? If so what is involved or what do I have to change? Just thinking about this in the back of my mind in case the current rear ever stops working.

·
Always Learning
2,158 Posts
I think you would be able to switch they fairly easily. I haven't looked at an early trans in a while, but if you want turning brakes you might need to get a whole set-up of another machine.

·
Super Moderator
13,363 Posts
The frames of the 68-69 are different than the 70-74 IIRC So that might be a little bit of a challenge. I had grand plans of something like that between my 72 and 69 because the 69 frame was set up with PS and the 72 was not. But after looking at it I determined it was above my skill set and pay grade.

·
Diesel Power
5,340 Posts
My question is has anyone switched the earlier rear for the later drum brake style?
I have never seen anyone do this for the reasons MrBeef stated. If you could easily come up with a way to do it and document it you'd be a hero around these parts. :goodl:

·
Diesels are awesome!
4,449 Posts
It is almost impossible, there were three different tranny design; one from 68-mid-70, on from then until '72, then until the end of production

1 - 5 of 5 Posts