My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Light Saber Warrior
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
i've got a '74 140 h3. i check the engine oil on it before i start it up and when i refuel. usually it doesn't use too much, it certainly doesn't blow clouds of blue smoke or anything. however, i was out puttering in the garage today, and decided to take the two shields off of the engine and get that mouse nest out from behind the cylinder there. noticed oil on my (engines) head. after retightening the headbolts, some which were loose, and some not at all, is there anything else to be done about this oil outside the engine problem? what is causing that? i pulled the plug and the little bit that i can see in there looks clean enough to eat of off. is this going to need a head gasket, or worse?

·
Certified Technician
8,519 Posts
Sounds like it was on the verge of blowing the gasket. The loose bolts allow oily gassy residue to seep out, but the outside of the engine isnt hot enough to burn it off so it builds up.

Wash it off, run it a while and see if it gets wet again, if so, check the head for warp and put on a new gasket.

·
-
1,833 Posts
If I'm not mistaken most John Deere service manuals state to re-torque the head bolts every x hundred hours.

My 112's Tecumseh was weeping oil up around one of the head bolts until I pulled the head, replaced the gasket and torqued everything back down to spec. Gave me a chance to de-carbon the head while I was at it.

May just be that they haven't been torqued in a while. Gaskets aren't terribly expensive if you want to replace it.

·
Light Saber Warrior
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
clean it up and observe it is! i am confident, head gasket replacement in that looks to be pretty cake. if the head is warped, i think i could probably mill that down too. thanks guys, i was just really puzzled over the splash oiler leaking oil out of the top, lol. hoping the retorque will be the answer.

·
My Orange Jane Deere
3,356 Posts
My God man please don't eat off your engine. If need be I will send you some food and a clean plate. :sorry1:

·
GANG GREEN GIZMOW KILLER!
1,239 Posts
clean it up and observe it is! i am confident, head gasket replacement in that looks to be pretty cake. if the head is warped, i think i could probably mill that down too. thanks guys, i was just really puzzled over the splash oiler leaking oil out of the top, lol. hoping the retorque will be the answer.

If your head is warped you can mill it for more compression or just lap it with a piece of sandpaper on a glass plate. When I mill them I usually go around .050 and then lap it flat.

·
Light Saber Warrior
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My God man please don't eat off your engine. If need be I will send you some food and a clean plate. :sorry1:
start the meal with the piston on bottom, have to bump it a couple times to bring the food up....:dunno:

·
Light Saber Warrior
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If your head is warped you can mill it for more compression or just lap it with a piece of sandpaper on a glass plate. When I mill them I usually go around .050 and then lap it flat.

hopefully i won't have to touch it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts