My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had quitre a few tornadoes go over, none touched down near me, but a few hit in town........LImb fell through roof, mucho water poured in............unbeknown to us, as it was in the spare room, wife noticed carpet wet in hall, late last night, tracked down water source opened door to spare room and it was pouring in pretty good.......Electrical power feed blew apart that feeds pumps and pond and barn, pond is now totally full plus about 3 feet additional, brand new pump I just got late last year was under about 2 feet of water, and its not submesible type, have three feet of water flowing through my barn..........and believe it or not, the water is higher and more of it that when Ivan hit.....which dumped 18 inches on us then.........so far we are at better than 14 inches...........and its raining so hard you can;'t see the other side of the pond with the outside spotlights on ............My john boat sunk as it was tied with a short line to the pier, and it filled with water...........My truck and the wifes car has hail damage, as well, as this storm dumped hail the size of baseballs for about 10 mnutes, followed by dime sized hail. TV report said all car dealers suffered major damages on their inventory.........Its a real mess here..........On top of that before we went to town last night, it was not raining at that time, and on the way out, we heard the hot tub gurgling.......A darn fitting broke of of the air purge line at the top of the pump, and it lost about 12 inches of water..................I sure hope the darn sun comes up tomorrow at the wat things have gone this past 24 hours....... :1106:

·
Ratchet Jaw old Member
10,400 Posts
Darn , Chipmaker , I`m sorry to hear about all that damage. I`ve lived in tornado alley all my life , I`ve seen alot , But 14+ is unreal . We all need some Sun shine , Good luck chipmaker.

·
Administrator
11,858 Posts
I was watchng the storms build back up last night and today in you area and was wondering how you were doing. Did you get the nursery plants unloaded out of the truck before the storms and hail hit?

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nope, the half whiskey barrels and other stuff was left in the truck, becasue it was too rainy out to unload it that night.......That stuff won't get hurt........I just hope my pump comes out of this ok, as that little sucker cost me enough $$$ and it was just bought right after Ivan last year........because Ivan did in the other pump I had.......I built my pump vault box high enough to be still within limits of pumps ability for suction, but it still was not high enough. My newly replaced overflow and spill way held though. The pump box was set according to the spillway / overflow pipe, which were set by previous history of high waters that was ever reached(Ivan in this case) as that was the highest water has ever been since we have been here, but evidently it still need to be higher. I am now looking for a small pump for the pump box with a float switch so I can plug the vaults drain. he sump pump (bilge type as for a boat) would handle any water that may leak into the box through its lid. I would still have to pull the pump if water got too darn high though....

·
Anything With Wheels
9,834 Posts
WoW...you guys down south got beat up with all that nasty weather. The important part is that your OK. You can always replace what was ruined.

·
Premium Member
5,554 Posts
Argee said:
WoW...you guys down south got beat up with all that nasty weather. The important part is that your OK. You can always replace what was ruined.
Yeah, I have to agree and I am sitting here complaining about the 2 and 3 quarter inches of rain since last Friday we got here, but it put the kabsh on me being albe to to work putting in some of the 200 Western Hemlock seedlings I got last Tuesday............... :fing02:

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have about got things back under control from this past weekend. Still only have a temp patch on the roof but its as good as a permanent patch and will not leak....Worse job was getting all the crap and trash out of the pond that flowed into it when the stream overflowed its banks and flooded everything. Highest I have ever seen it. They still have alot of roads closed due to flooding. The clencher is, the weather man tonight said enjoy this week, as this coming weekend looks like a repeat of Easter weekend.....Said the weather pattern etc is almost identical and were in for another bad one....

Went to the elctrical supply house to get some compression spice connectors so I could fix my underground feed, and the only thing they had was a kit. I would have had to buy 4 kits........each kit is good for one conductor in the wire size I have in use, and the cost per kit was $39.00...............duh! I had thought it was #4 wire, but each conductor was made up of 4 strands of #12 fine stranded wire, and there were 4 conductors. This cable is made for running under water, direct burial etc, and is typical of heavy cables often seen from generator sets at carnivals and fairs etc thats run all over the place powering up the rides etc.

So I bought 8 compression type lug terminals, cut off the lug portion and used the ferrule portion where the wire is inserted. They cost $2.00 each......Slide some heat shrink that has a heat activated adhesive inside of it over each spice joint, wrapped it with self vulcanizing (boot) tape, and then a couple of wraps of Scotch 700 electrical tape. The wire bundle with the 4 conductors inside is 1 1/8" in diameter. Not your typical underground feeder cable. I still wanted to waterproof the splices, so I drilled a 1 1/8" hole in the ends of two 2" PVC pipe caps, slide them on the cable before splicing it, as well as a piece of 2" PVC pipe. Slide the pipe and the caps out of the way, as I had to dig up a long trench for access and working room. I drilled a 1 1/8" hole in one end of the PVC pipe itself, and a 1/2" hole at the opposite end. These holes were placed right where the caps would end. Once the splice was made, I slide the caps up to the pipe, and solvent welded them, centered the PVC cover over the spliced area with about 5 inches of original cable inside the PVC pipe on each end, put some duck seal on the pipe caps to the cable hole to make a temporary seal, and poured in almost 1 gallon of fiberous solvent based foundation coating, thouroughly filling the inside cavity of the pipe and encapsulating the splice. I seriously doubt it will leak any moisture in it. Same basic principal that the under ground splice kits use, except they use a fast setting epoxy. Since the foundation coating is solvent based it will setup, and make a good waterproof flexible seal on the cable splice......So now I have power once again and all my pumps and lights and stuff works at the Gazeebo, pond and barn......Only thing I have not gotten to work 100% yet is my transformer for my low voltage lights. Its a 900 watt solid state affaair with a key punch pad and a heap of solid state components in it. At first it would kick off when you turned it on, but I took it all apart and placed it in the over at 150 degrees, for about an hour, then turned off the heat and left oven cool down......Now I get all functions on keypad but 3 settings, so there still maybe some moisture in it but its working, so maybe the heat it builds up inside will help drive off any remianing moisture. Thats about all it can be, as it was not powered up when the water covered it. I think its time for a cold one and then head to bed early for a change.........This retirement stuff is too much like work!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts