My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new here,but thought I'd ask. I have a Wheelhorse 14 Automatic.From the engine sereal # indicates it's a K231s 14 hp kohler, 1972.The guy I bought it from must have ran it low on oil and spun the bearing ,broke the rod and cracked a small chunk out of the lower cylinder.I was wondering if I can swap this engine with another from a different application such as deere,cub with a similar K321 engine by setting it on my existing oil pan? Any help would be great!

Attachments

·
Banned
344 Posts
The crankshaft may be to small/short, the Wheel Horses typically use a 1 1/8 inch dia. x 3 1/2 inch length, not sure about the JD.
However having a small piece missing from the bottom of the cylinder may not mean much, take it to a machine shop, or a trusted mechanic and get their opinion on it before you look for another engine, it just may be salvageable.

Ever heard of an engine Spec. No.?
It should be listed on the same tag/label as the model no. (on the engine) you can then look for an engine with the same spec no. although there may be few available.

One thing that you may want to keep in mind, is the length of the oil dipper on the end of the rod.
If it was short enough to work on an engine without an extended oil pan, and you put a bigger (deeper) oil pan on it, will the dipper work correctly?
Not sure of the answer to that question, other than to say that it would all depend on the proper oil level in the sump.

·
Just Have a Little Faith!
9,271 Posts
Something else that may vary is the oil dip stick. Some of them are in the block, or in the oil pan or the cam cover.

The oil pan to block bolt pattern may vary. Just take your tape measure w/ you.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys for all the information.I think I will have a mechanic buddy of mine take a look at the cylinder and go from there. Thanks again,Dan

·
Tractor Junkie
547 Posts
This seems like a common problem with the kohler k engines I am repairing one now that has the same issues a chip in the cylinder wall shouldn't hurt anything. If yours is like mine the crank needs to have the aluminum cleaned off it. Some say use acid ,I was leary off this so I took my time with Fine Emory and crocus cloth, long strips work best so you can "see saw" the cloth easily, you can feel the aluminum feel resisting as you sand and when it stops you are getting close, if you watch carefully you will see the color change.

Heres a link to where I got my parts the price wasn't bad and its real kohler stuff http://www.outdoordistributors.com/

one more thing I've been told to run the oil recommended in the manual which I think is a straight 30 weight

·
ROJ
2,186 Posts
some pans will bolt and some will not.for instance,the 112 deers with the big block kohler dont have the ears cast onto the side of the block the wheel horse pan bolts to but the 200 series deeres (210,212,214,216)do have the ears on the block so you should be able to pull the deere pan and put the wheel horse pan on.i wouldnt think the length of crank shaft would be a problem with most engines but as stated above some engines use a 1 inch shaft and some are 1 1/8.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Im sure what DirtyEd was talking about was the cubs use the short crank shaft on the pto side as no wheel horse used the short shaft

1 - 8 of 8 Posts