My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 12v plug for my X300 and plugged it in today but it doesn't work. I made sure it was plugged in correctly. Do you need a seperate fuse for this thing? I noticed there is an empty slot on the fuse box. Thanks!

·
Registered
948 Posts
Most of the male plugs you buy, have to have a fuse installed inside. Some come with a 1 amp or 1/2 amp fuse, and that can easily blow just by plugging it in if the socket has power and an arc jumps. Normally, Deere has those on a fused 10 amp circuit, so your male plug should also have a 10 amp fuse, or whatever amp to match the fuse on the tractor's circuit.

·
Premium Member
7,954 Posts
The plug should actually have a fuse matched to the gauge and length of the wire that you are using or to the amperage rating of whatever accessory you are plugging in, whichever is lower. Otherwise you risk overheating something in the circuit and starting a fire.

There are web sits that have charts for cross referencing various gauge wires and lengths to maximum recommended current to help you figure out what fuse you should use to protect your wiring (and ultimately your tractor) from burning up.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You're right and of course it's in the owners manual. Say there is an optional slot for the 12v adapter that needs a 10 amp fuse. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I plugged that 10 amp fuse in then plugged in an air pump and that thing started pumping away. Now I have like 6 of these fuses just in case I need them because you can't just buy one.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts