My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how far should the crank turn before piston starts to move.anybody thanks.this one turns about 1/4 inch.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I think that's too much, you will probably hear a knock when running.

·
22,762 Posts
If the piston is halfway down the cylinder, that much crank movement should translate into visible piston movement. At top or bottom dead centre, you need a dial indicator to see piston movement for that small amount of crank rotation.

Where are you measuring 1/4" of crankshaft rotation? If it's at the edge of a 10" dia. flywheel and the piston starts at top dead centre (TDC), that's less than 3* of rotation and less than 0.002" of piston travel for a 3" stroke. A piece of newsprint is the same thickness. You aren't going to see it, but you might feel it. If the crank is 1/8" before TDC and you swing it to 1/8" after TDC, 1/4" total, piston movement is almost non-existant. Even a dial indicator won't show it.

Bob :rauch10:

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was eye balling it on the fly wheel side with the fly wheel off.finger on top of piston to feel when it moved.thanks.that would have to be top dead center.

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
is that just the nature of the beast.its like poncho says when the piston is half way down there is hardly any play.is there no machanics in the u,s.I see everyone that answers is from canada.I don,t want to start a war.its just a ?.

·
Administrator
5,926 Posts
is that just the nature of the beast.its like poncho says when the piston is half way down there is hardly any play.is there no machanics in the u,s.I see everyone that answers is from canada.I don,t want to start a war.its just a ?.
Guess we are just a little brighter .......:sorry1:l.....Don't hurt us........:Stop:......:trink40:

At the top and bottom of the stroke, the crank is going sideways a bit to change direction of the rod and piston......

·
22,762 Posts
Naw. It's just that we have a big blizzard goin' on right now and we've got nothing better to do for the next while. :snowing: :biglaugh: :biglaugh:

:hide: :sorry1: Just couldn't resist.

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
see what I mean.I might as well be in canada.the only thing in between is the big river.yea I just came in from working on my junk.I have at least 3 ripped apart right now.waiting for the money flow to kick in again.just got my 1650 running pretty good.a lot of pounding out dents in the sheet metal.engine tuneing and all.kohlers sure like to shake alot.whats the story with that 16 hp engine .fiddleing with the carb doesn,t seem to change it much.or setting the points.I know its old but does it have to shake so much.

·
22,762 Posts
At the top and bottom of the stroke, the crank is going sideways a bit to change direction of the rod and piston......
:ditto:

If you apply a little high school trigonometry to the the topic, you can figure out how much the piston moves with any crank movement between any two points in a revolution with the aid of a degree wheel. I crunched another equation to bypass the degree wheel when I got the numbers in post #3.

·
22,762 Posts
kohlers sure like to shake alot.whats the story with that 16 hp engine .fiddleing with the carb doesn,t seem to change it much.or setting the points.I know its old but does it have to shake so much.
Rubber engine mounts allow the normal vibration to manifest itself visibly. The Onan my 1655 does the same, just not as bad with 2 cylinders.

Without the mounts, the mass of the whole tractor tends to soak up some of the vibration, but it's still there to be felt more than seen.

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
now if I would of been in school long enough to get into trig.I probably wouldn,t be asking all the stupid ?s.thanks for the teaching.first year high school doesn,t get you much education.just enough to go to work.which isn,t all bad.

·
22,762 Posts
There are no stupid questions. Some of the answers maybe, but none of the questions. That's how the human animal learns.

·
Red Tractor Fan
1,704 Posts
I think the reason you are getting all those "Northern" answers is that the tractor owners here in the states are so good we have all fixed our tractors and are too busy using them.

J/K.... You just never know who is on at any given time, I guess.

·
Banned
2 Posts
I think the reason you are getting all those "Northern" answers is that the tractor owners here in the states are so good we have all fixed our tractors and are too busy using them.

J/K.... You just never know who is on at any given time, I guess.

LOL i have 7 going and 16 to fix i have to stop buying them ...Plus it keeps me busy when we have a slow day at the shop

·
Banned
2 Posts
I am going to stay out of this one folks i dont want to miss leed you i have my own veiws on of this motor and it may not be the same as yours lol ..now back to ice hut

1 - 16 of 16 Posts