My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After much reworking and replacing,and cost. I finally nailed the problem of why my 12g was putt putter and stalling hills with no power. Last year I had the valves done and I installed a new ignition module. That helped but it still wasn't running like it should. I had also put a new exhaust on the tractor. Yesterday, I pulled the gas tank off and replaced all the hoses on the machine and I installed a new fuel filter. I had bought a new fuel pump from Richards last winter and when I went to remove the two screws which hold the original pump to the block, I found both screws finger tight ! Having bought the new one I replaced the pump and now the old Gravely is running like new ! I plan on rebuilding the original pump so I have a back up.. I am re-leaved that it's finally running great. Posting to let you all know to check you fuel pump screws to see if they are loose.. The lost of power and the the sputtering has me wondering if the other stuff I did was not the original issue. Anyway It's great to have my tractor running like new..

·
Active member, now deceased, but not forgotten.
4,156 Posts
Good to hear she is running right again Murf. It could have been a combination of a couple of things you did that got things right. All those things need to be done eventually so you wasted nothing.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Al, Thanks, I thought I was wasting my money and should have bought a new machine. But after all these years With my Gravely it sure is nice to have it back in tip top shape. Thanks again for all the advise and help, they guys on the forum have been great..

·
Premium Member
8,842 Posts
I image it was leaking oil too.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Richard, That's the funnything, I notice some oil that was dried behind the pump on the engine case but nothing that appeared real wet. I call Richards Gravel today looking if the made a rebuild kit for my old pump. The new one is plastic and the orignal is all metal. I'd like to rebuild the old one. I was told they no longer make the rebuild kit for it. When I replaced the pump Saturday I used some avation form a gasket on it. I'd also owuld like to remove the gas tank this fall and take it some where to be cleaned out and reconditioned. I don't know if any shops do this anymore ?

·
4,156 Posts
Here's a question related to Murf's question about the gas tanks. There is much discussion at times here and in other places about keeping rust and other debris out of the gas lines, and the deterioration of the metal rider tanks over time.. Why doesn't someone with plastics knowledge mold a replacement gas tank? Seems to me there would be a steady demand for them. Investment to do so i would think to be considerably below that needed to provide an essential iron casting?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Al, Thank you. I was wondering the same thing. Does anyone make a plastic replacement gas tank for a Gravely riding tractor ? I did call a local radiator shop near my home. Highland Auto Radiator , they told me they will clean out and recondition the steal tank in my old Gravely. So I guess I'll be taking it back off and letting them do that. Want to be sure I not getting any crap in the carb and fuel system. What the **** I did everything else might all well do that too..
Thanks Al..

·
Premium Member
8,842 Posts
The problem with reconditioning the two wheel tractor tanks is that no reputable shop will touch them. The baffle inside is what stops the shop from working on it. You might talk a shop into doing it, but they will not guarantee it.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Richard, Thanks for the info..I'll let the shop know and see what they tell me. Do you know if you can buy a new tank from a Gravel dealer like Richards ?

·
Registered
7,945 Posts
I used the tank off a Cub Cadet.

They are readily available in GREAT condition for a few $.

The other big plus is they are smaller, so it is easier to keep them full so they will not collect moisture.

Being smaller means less volume to collect moisture should you forget to fill it.

AND, it is a drop-in replacement!! :fing32:

·
4,156 Posts
I used the tank off a Cub Cadet.

AND, it is a drop-in replacement!! :fing32:
I don't think it is a drop in replacement on my riders, or on Murf's. i believe he has a G series rider - a pretty one as i recall - and I don't think either of our tanks have baffles.

A plastic version of the Gravely metal 400, 800, 8000, G-series gas tanks would be a popular upgrade I think.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Al, you are correct Sir.. It's a 90' 12G Pro Rider. I bought it new with 20 hrs on it.The dealer would drive it out and put it in the lawn in front of his shop.

·
4,156 Posts
Re-post a pic sometime soon Murf. It's a handsome machine.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Gravely used a plastic tank in the later G-series and also on some of the pro-master zero turns. The tank has a screw on cap and has a pick-up tube in from the top. This helps to keep dirt/junk in the tank from getting in the line, but does not have a shutoff valve. The tank has brackets to mount it into a G-series but the brackets can be cut down and bolt holes drilled to fit a 800/8000 series.

G-series plastic tank.

Brackets modified to fit a 800/8000 series.

Jason

·
Premium Member
3,489 Posts
While not everyone agrees on its importance, I consider the palstic gas tank one of the general improvements GRAVELY made to the riders in the later years. Mine came with the plastic tank and has been trouble free regarding fuel and fuel line problems for 17 years - until today.

Today the fuel pump gave up - but that of course has nothing to do with the tank.

Sheldon

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Jason, thanks for the pictures.Do you think Richard's in WV would have a plastic tank to buy to replace the standard metal one ? What model does that plastic tank come off of ? I'll post some pictures of my machine soon. per Al's request..

·
4,156 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Al, Thank you for posting my old pictures out there. I'll be sure to post some new ones maybe this coming weekend. The body shop guy welded the reenforcement plate under the seat he repainted the rear cowl. Now this winter I'm going to take the hood to him and have him do the same to it. The rear looks so good its like a car finish.I didn't realize how the paint fades over the years. Mine is in great shape but some of the macines on the forum look like were just bought. Awesome tractors.

I've been wondering, does anyone think Ariens would ever make new updated machine like our old Gravely's ?

I would like to see one with a water cooled rear mount motor, on our frame and running gear,with our gear drive hi/low tranny. Wonder if a new water cooled motor, like a Kawasaki would fit ? Mount the radiator up front and running the cooling hoses to the rear engine. How about a water cooled diesel motor.. Four weel drive.Just dreaming..

If, Ariens/Gravely would build a tractor like that,I'm sure folks would buy one.

·
Registered
7,945 Posts
Al, Thank you for posting my old pictures out there. I'll be sure to post some new ones maybe this coming weekend. The body shop guy welded the reenforcement plate under the seat he repainted the rear cowl. Now this winter I'm going to take the hood to him and have him do the same to it. The rear looks so good its like a car finish.I didn't realize how the paint fades over the years. Mine is in great shape but some of the macines on the forum look like were just bought. Awesome tractors.

I've been wondering, does anyone think Ariens would ever make new updated machine like our old Gravely's ?

I would like to see one with a water cooled rear mount motor, on our frame and running gear,with our gear drive hi/low tranny. Wonder if a new water cooled motor, like a Kawasaki would fit ? Mount the radiator up front and running the cooling hoses to the rear engine. How about a water cooled diesel motor.. Four weel drive.Just dreaming..

If, Ariens/Gravely would build a tractor like that,I'm sure folks would buy one.
From another recent thread, a 24G with a 72" deck would cost $20,000 today.

Ariens KNOWS they would sell very few machines at that price.

The Japanese Yen exchange rate recent change will have an equivalent machine in the US for under $10K soon.

Ariens is smart enough to not get into the middle of that!! :Stop:

Keep those old ones runnin' until they :14_6_5:!!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts