My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
MTF Junior Poster Esq.
7,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It was begging me for a ride home. The hood was butchered by a previous owner. The 16hp replacement engine runs well. Stinky gas was shut off and carb was dry. I rigged up another tank. Changed the oil and drove it off. The electrical system is detached for the most part. The PO was using the battery to crank it without a charging system or solenoid. I'll get that fixed along with the hood. that was butchered for the muffler. The deck is solid, the gearbox is tight. It shifts & steers fine.
I'll raise my hand every time for this deal. I guess it's a 1600 now. I love the deluxe seat too.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Re: 1200 came home with me Saturday for $80. Unloaded it this evening. (pics & video)

I like the fact that the rears are 12" you can put some mean looking ags on it.

·
ROJ
2,189 Posts
Re: 1200 came home with me Saturday for $80. Unloaded it this evening. (pics & video)

Nice grab ABC on a 960? We have really seen the interest in these old tractors grow over the last several years.

·
Registered
412 Posts

You got your 80 bucks worth and then some. I am really curious about how one third of a dash gets rusty and the other two thirds is almost shiny and new. I know the answer didn't come with the mower, just one of those dumb things that stuck out to me. Great buy, didn't mean to dis your new machine.

·
MTF Junior Poster Esq.
7,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Easy answer...the PO. He hacked out the right side to fit a different throttle setup. This is the same guy who put the gas tank straps on with the slotted head to the outside so it was impossible to remove the rear one without just pounding it off. Also the same guy who thought cutting the hood out was a better solution than replacing the muffler and cutting the ends off the wires to the ignition was the best way of taking them off the switch.
I'm hesitating before removing that right dash side, but I'll just make a dash cover for the dash face. Otherwise the dash is good. The sheet metal is straight, The fender reflectors are even unbroken. Maybe the first PO took care of it, and the second one was the hacker. (With money enough for a replacement engine)

·
MTF Junior Poster Esq.
7,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Oh, that isn't rust on the right side, that is some piece of plastic woodgrained material he bolted across the dash over the original. Like I said, I hate to look.

·
Registered
433 Posts

Great deal for the price.

·
Premium Member
2,076 Posts

What a find ABC. Looks like a fine peace of equipment.

·
Registered
755 Posts

well, someone might have done some hacking but, at least you got your 80.00 worth, i'm happy for you the old mtd tractor market has dried up here for now but, i'm saving for braces for my kids this year any way so, it all works out

1 - 10 of 10 Posts