My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a 116 tractor. It was working great. I cut my grass and when I got done and turned off the PTO switch, the blades kept turning. Shut the tractor down and when I tried to restart, the PTO was still engaged and the blades turned when the starter turned over. Changed the switch out, no difference. My thought now is that there is rust or dirt in the clutch keeping it engaged. I have a gear puller and liquid wrench and am trying to get the clutch off so I can clean it up. Now the questions. First what is the best way to get the clutch off? I took off the crank shaft bolt and the three nuts on the clutch itself, but nothing seems to want to move. What all should come off? Second, I read a couple of threads that talked about adjusting the gap on the clutch. Where is the gap measured and what should it be for the 116? Any other gothchas that I should watch out for?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Well I'm no expert but I did fine this by doing a search for you, I hope it helps.

There are three nuts looking at it from the bottom. Near each nut is a slot. You adjust the nut so that the gap in the slot is .012" with a feeler gauge. The slot is just an opening to to gett the feeler gage through.

By the way I was able to remove my clutch by using a 3 jaw puller and putting each jaw in one of the slots. Make sure you put the nuts and bolts back on before you try to pull the clutch off. It's my understanding that you can damage the clutch if you try to pull it off it you don't. If you try to pull it off leave the screw that holds it on in place but backed out about 1/2" this way it won't come crashing down on you or the floor. Once you get it loose you can remove the screw and take it down slowly.

Hope this helps

·
Senior MTF Poster
13,075 Posts
"when I got done and turned off the PTO switch, the blades kept turning. Shut the tractor down and when I tried to restart, the PTO was still engaged and the blades turned when the starter turned over."

Pretty good indication that the bearings in the electric clutch has seized. These CAN be replace generally but not easy.

"I took off the crank shaft bolt and the three nuts on the clutch itself, "

These three nuts should not be removed. They have nothing to do with the clutch coming off.

"I read a couple of threads that talked about adjusting the gap on the clutch. Where is the gap measured and what should it be"

This is very unlikely to have anything to do with your problem. Infact, you have removed the adjustment nuts and clutch is still locked, right?

"overmyhead" above gave you the adjustment procedure, I remember his case and he was very lucky to pull that clutch in that mater without damaging it, take care.

Walt Conner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts