My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Proud Wheel Horse Owner
3,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up this one owner 1994 10hp Craftsman belt drive chipper/shredder today on CL. Model 987.799931. Came with the original owner's manual. I'd been stored w/o fuel, inside their big shop building.

I changed the oil, cleaned the airfilter, sharpened the knife, added fuel and it fired on the first pull.

Been wanting a 10hp chipper for a while, and it's rare that they pop up on CL, especially not the belt drive version with solid tires.

I love this old school American made Craftsman stuff. All steel construction and I'm a big fan of the Tecumseh engine. The connection piece between the chipper chute and the machine is a beautiful piece of cast iron. I'm pretty stoked.

·
Premium Member
8,333 Posts
That's in VERY nice shape! Good score!

Mike

·
Registered
2 Posts
Curious if your chipper is still running?

AND how much of a lowball offer you were able to get a lovely vintage 10hp Craftsman chipper for (not to be a nosey jerk, but a guy on a thin budget that is eying one of these lovelies on CL at the moment and wanting to respectfully get a great deal).

As most of the consumer chippers out there are of the 5hp neighborhood this one is looking mighty appealing on all fronts.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
114 Posts
The weight of the flywheel is the determining factor. Not the horsepower. Don't balk at a good machine because it has a smaller motor than what you want.

The old Craftsman chippers had an 18 pound flywheel. The Troy Bilt Tomahawks had a 36 pound flywheel and they were belt driven. There was no gear reduction. Those flywheels were spinning at 3600 RPM. The biggest motor was a 8HP Briggs. Next smaller was a 5HP Tecumseh. Recovery was quicker with the Briggs, but not by much over the Tecumseh. There was another smaller rig, but I don't know much about it. I know it did not have a 36 pound flywheel.

·
Registered
2 Posts
That's in VERY nice shape! Good score!

Mike
My Dad passed away in December and we are trying to sell his vintage Craftsman 10 HP Model Number 987.799931 in Roscommon, Michigan, but I am having a hard time finding a price to price it at - it seems like everything is 5 to 8 HP and selling for over $200 and this is in excellent condition - do you think $250 would be reasonable to ask? Please write me at [email protected]. Thanks, Denise

·
Super Moderator
28,901 Posts
First, very sorry to hear you lost your father! I think you are in the price range for it if not a little low. It should move pretty quickly at that price I would think.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thank you and if you know anyone in the Roscommon, Michigan area looking to buy a 1940s restored John Deere or vintage restored Allis Chalmers or a John Deere lawn tractor, please let me know - they would have to pick them up - we have no way to deliver.

·
Super Moderator
28,901 Posts
If you have some more detail on them model, etc.. we have a for sale and wanted to buy section on the forum where you could post them. Here is a link to the forum, just start a new thread (Start Discussion in upper right) there and please make sure to include (MI) for the location in the thread title:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts