My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well,winter should be gone here in the city. I posted a week or so about how to transport my 10A with dog-eater (see avatar) about 3 miles to another part of the city where I rent a few garages.

Now that winter is over,I can't keep it at the house,which is a rental. I get $200 off the rental if I take care of the property. (clean the 40ft of city sidewalk of snow,mow the small lawn,rake leaves,etc.)

Some of you recommended a large dolly. The thing I'm worried about with that is the size of the wheels. One large sidewalk crack,and the wheels get ripped out.

Here is what I came up with.. A pair of casters with pneumatic tires (Harbor Freight) and some 2 1/8 u-bolts from exhaust clamps. What I'm worried about here is the bearing at the top of the caster ripping from the plate. This stuff is made in China,afterall. The u-bolts are USA.

I took the caster axle apart and packed the bearings full of wheel bearing grease for good measure. The tires air up to 30psi.

Wish me luck,folks. I've got about 3 miles to cover one sidewalk at a time,Swiftamatic in High.

I sure wish I had a sulky!

What do you think? Am I gonna make it?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Looks great I think it will work fine. Didn't Gravely do a promotion years ago and drive some Gravelys to the capital. Jason

·
Premium Member
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well,the 10A made it the three miles. It was effortless. I even stopped for a 'coffee to go' along the way. No cupholder?? hahaha

Lots of people stared with the "What the heck is that mean looking thing?" look. But hey.. I don't have a pickup or trailer,so I made due.

For speed,I put the Swiftamatic in High...left lever in High,and throttle about a little more than half. It was a quick walking pace.

Everything went great with my caster idea. No problems of any kind along the way.

Attachments

·
Gravely 408 Authority
1,823 Posts
Nicely done. Necessity is the mother of invention and you're the proud papa.

Sent from the MTF Free App

·
Active member, now deceased, but not forgotten.
4,156 Posts
Cool idea 112. Well executed. You should find a sulky during you off season.

·
Premium Member
2,732 Posts
Well,the 10A made it the three miles. It was effortless. I even stopped for a 'coffee to go' along the way. No cupholder?? hahaha

Lots of people stared with the "What the heck is that mean looking thing?" look. But hey.. I don't have a pickup or trailer,so I made due.

For speed,I put the Swiftamatic in High...left lever in High,and throttle about a little more than half. It was a quick walking pace.

Everything went great with my caster idea. No problems of any kind along the way.
Where's a YouTube video when you need one??! :trink40:

·
ADMINISTRATOR
15,894 Posts
That's pretty awesome. You da man!

·
Super Moderator
12,341 Posts
Great job! I'll bet that most of the people staring had never seen a Gravely before. Or maybe it was the skull shifter knob.:)

Just pick up a sulky and a cupholder and you'll be all set for your return trip home next winter.

·
Premium Member
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks to everyone for your support.

Unfortunately I won't have any use for either of my Gravelys til next winter. I onły have a small amount of grass in the city,that can easily be done with a push mower. :(

That also means they will sit and be worked on until November or so.

For now,they sit,packed in with other motorized things such as my:
'66 JD 112 with 46in deck.
'04 Murray
'11 McCulloch
'67 Harley that I've had since '84. (Built it myself)

I need more room!

Attachments

·
Gravely bug bit.
8,734 Posts
Our storage is about that far away. And I've also thought about moving them that way. The state of Ohio put in a nice sidewalk for most of the distance. But I would use the riding sulky. It would take a real heavy snow for me to go get it though. The little Pro 8 and dozer blade handled everything just fine this year.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts