My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been searching for a 3/8 30" bush hog blade and found a whole deck, gearbox and blade today for 50.00. I took the blade off and was checking how smooth the gearbox turned by hand and noticed the rotor shaft was not true, bent I would say. after checking it with a feeler gauge against a strait edge the rotor shaft runs untrue about .030. My late father used to work on lawn equipment and always said if a motor shaft was bent on a lawn mower, don't use it. I don't need the gearbox but wanted to save it for a spare and was looking for feedback from others with experience on these. Regarding the blade, other than the blade having been sharpened several times, it appears to be straight and good shape. Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,183 Posts
Hit a good sized rock, and you'll bend the shaft.

.030 out is not too terrible, but I wouldn't run it like that. I'd pull it apart, and straighten the shaft, then keep it as a spare.

A hydraulic press will do the job, if you don't have one handy, find a machine shop and tell them what you need. You can also sometimes find used ones on for instance ebay.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
At some point I'll pull the shaft and see what the press will do to straighten it. Thanks for your suggestion, Hate to trash the shaft if I can save it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hit a good sized rock, and you'll bend the shaft.

.030 out is not too terrible, but I wouldn't run it like that. I'd pull it apart, and straighten the shaft, then keep it as a spare.

A hydraulic press will do the job, if you don't have one handy, find a machine shop and tell them what you need. You can also sometimes find used ones on for instance ebay.
I did 2 of them in the past 3 weeks. One 106 and one lefty. They came out within .002 run out. That's not perfect but acceptable but you can get better results if you spend more time to get there.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts