My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just rebuilt a 106 gearbox with all new bearings and seals, I filled gearbox with 140 gear oil. After running it for about an hour I noticed a small puddle of gear oil on top of the deck under the swivel casting slit where the bolt is to adjust deck swivel. Thought maybe it was excess grease from when I lubed swivel prior to assembly so I wiped it off and ran it again, same thing a small puddle of gear oil. All parts are new and seals installed correct. Drive shaft is in good shape with no grooves or burrs. I have not pumped the swivel casting with grease yet but I don't think that would stop a gear oil leak. I'm thinking of packing it with gear grease, thoughts?

·
Premium Member
4,319 Posts
How full did you fill the box? It's only supposed to be up to the small plug on the side.

·
Premium Member
4,319 Posts
Only to the side plug. Thanks
Hmmm. In that case, I'm with gravely_n_fla, try 00 grease.

I've got a bunch of these units, including one that I rebuilt as you did. I don't recall any leaking in that spot. Other spots, yes :) Though granted; I don't often spend a lot of time cleaning them after use, so a small leak might have gone unnoticed. From your description, it sounds like it's pretty noticable.

·
Gravely1964
3,927 Posts
Did you put a gasket in between the horizontal drive and the gear box houseing? Or atleast gasket maker to seal it? Oil lays in the horizontal tube all the time to lube the bearing there

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, It's not leaking from that area only from the casting swivel slit. I'm going to try some of the 00 grease that was suggested. Thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts