My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to my local LB dealer to get a part. He has a used 10552 Duraforce there. Looks good, has some paint peeling off the aluminum deck, but so do many cast decks.
He is asking $250 for it. I tell him I am not sure about Easy Stride. Tells me to go and mow with it. Will not start. They put a new coil on it and it runs fine. Electric start works.
I have 2 10323 mowers and ask about trading them. Both run good, I have worked on them recently and put a new coil on one. They said they would trade even up for both 10323's, or $100 if I decide to keep one (my 8 yr old is attached to one).
Do you think this is a decent deal or should I try to go lower? The one I am trading is almost showroom new, but has a very mild surge. It also has some sloppy wheel wobble in front while the 10552 is nice and tight.

·
Lawn-Boy fan
1,566 Posts
Well...

10323 have been bringing $150-200 on ebay, in good running order. If yours is showroom new with a mild surge you can fix that and sell it for more or keep it (is what I'd do).

Trade the other and get the 10552 for $100then... not so bad. I personally don't care for the easy stride that much but I don't have a large yard either. I wouldn't give up both your 10323's for it... one, yes. If the 10552 looks good and everything is there / functioning (e-start, etc) then it is worth the money.

Maybe offer him $200 for the 552, and try to sell one 323 on craigslist for $125-150. That's what I'd try... worst he can say is no.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am leaning towards keeping one 10323, and trading one off for the 10552 just so I have an aluminum deck that mates up to the Duraforce. When the 10323 deck rots out I will have a spare powerplant.
What is so bad about the easy stride?

·
Lawn-Boy fan
1,566 Posts
Easy stride is a personal preference thing. I don't like it, some do. You have to push on the handle in order to make it move and that is fine. I don't like it when you have to mow under things where you're moving the mower forward and back rather quickly. If you have a larger yard / not so much to trim around it might be fine.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I guess I am asking if the value of these are any good? I have 2 10323's that I have a grand total of $30 invested. If I trade one, and give $100 for the electric start and aluminum deck is that a good deal? I have been busy swapping the best parts tonight so I will have a very good 10323 that runs great with no surging.
The 10552 is also in good shape, except for some paint that peeled of in a couple of spots. I also know it has a brand new OEM coil which the 10323 that I am trading does not. I honestly think some of the surging issues are related to the weak coils since I thoroughly went through and cleaned the carb up.
Is there any known issues with the electric start system? Always wanted one, but I try to keep my boys up to one pull snuff.

·
Lawn-Boy fan
1,566 Posts
I'd say that it'd be worth it. My dad sold a 10550 (non electric start) for $325 2 months ago. From a $ standpoint and based on what you have invested I say it'd be a decent deal. I'm sure some others will chime in with what they think.

·
Registered
972 Posts
I wouldn't go for that deal. A near mint 10323 is worth $150. There's a 10525 local here for $175 in good condition.

$150 trade + $100cash is not a good trade IMO.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The thing that is getting me is this: The near mint 10323 is a 1998 model. It still surges ever so slightly even after a teardown/rebuild. It has the original coil. The deck is near mint on the topside, but the ol' boy who had her before used the mulch plug and I don't think he cleaned the deck too often.

Like I said, I am keeping the newer 10323, but that one would be in better shape except for some decals that are rubbed off (acetone). At the beginning of the year I only had my 1990 LB Gold that is not self propelled, trash picked a 10323. Really like the weight of the 10323 but I look back at all the mowers I had growing up. They failed because of the decks rotting out.

·
Lawn-Boy fan
1,566 Posts
Do what YOU want. If it is worth it to you, it doesn't matter. I've bought mowers that others wouldn't, and I haven't bought mowers others would. Personal preference...

If you do get it... pictures.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I'd say go for it, if you can "afford" to lose one 10323 trade up to the aluminum decked mower, those GoldPro's are sweet!

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
I'd do the trade plus $100 and resell the 10552 next spring. The 10323 is a much more well behaved mower to use IMHO. I've owned all the DFs except the high wheel push model and the 10323/324 is only behind the three speeds...

-Dave

·
2-stroke exhaust junkie!!
442 Posts
I'm not a big fan of the easy stride. Had one and sold it. But I really like the gold series duraforce. I've got two 10525 and one 10424. Like es-bob said, if you like it, go for it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts