My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 10552 that has a problem with th e electric start. It has a new battery and has worked flawless all season. Today I used it and mowed. When I stopped to move something and came back to restart it made a grijnding noise when the key turned. I pulled the motor by rope and finished mowing. When done I tried the electric start agin and now it does nothing, not even a click. I checked all fuses and they are fine. What else should I look at? Does the whole starter need replaced?

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
I have a 10552 that has a problem with th e electric start. It has a new battery and has worked flawless all season. Today I used it and mowed. When I stopped to move something and came back to restart it made a grijnding noise when the key turned. I pulled the motor by rope and finished mowing. When done I tried the electric start agin and now it does nothing, not even a click. I checked all fuses and they are fine. What else should I look at? Does the whole starter need replaced?
My guess would be that something is wrong with with the battery, despite it being new. This has happened to me on machines with dead or near dead batteries.

·
5K Poster!!!!
5,127 Posts
I would take a look at the starter, sounds like the pinion gear is trashed for one, but why it didn't kick the pinion gear out at all the second time I dunno, maybe a bad segment in the starter also.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I charged the battery and when I hit the key I can hear the starter spinning, but it does'nt turn the engine over. Sounds like the gears are missing. Is this a replaceable part or do you have to redo the whole thing?

·
5K Poster!!!!
5,127 Posts
Yeah the pinion gear is probably chewed up, it's probably plastic, they make the pinion gear out of plastic so that the flywheel teeth will not get damaged. It's alot easier to replace the pinion gear than the flywheel and cheaper to.

·
5K Poster!!!!
5,127 Posts
Wow!!! I just looked on partstree.com to see the setup you have and they want 30 bucks for the pinion assy., looks like they don't just sell the gear, but on the other hand it looks like it will be easy to replace. Maybe ebay will have it a little cheaper.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I've got one a them e-lectric starters, too. Now, don't trust this 100%--you better do some research into this--but I visually compared the pinion gear on my electric start motor to a regular pinion gear on a pre-compliance machine, and they appear identical. I bet if you could pick up a pinion gear from an old vertical pull machine, it would work.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Can anybody guide me in the direction for removing and replacing the pinion? I have searched the forum to no avail.
I am sure I can get the starter off, just wondering if there were any tips or tricks to removing and repairing the pinion gears? Looks like 2 bolts hodling the starter on the block. Is there going to be springs flying off when I remove this thing? As far as the pinion itself it looks in the diagram like a small clip holds it in place.
Small Engine Warehouse has it for under $30. The starter itself is **** near $300!!!! I will be using the rope if that is broke!

·
Registered
283 Posts
No springs will fly off, but parts might fall off the end of the shaft. That's why I put a large piece of tape on the end of mine until such time as I re-install it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts