My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1050 with facrory wheel weights, how much do they weigh? I'm going to add extra weight on the wheels and wanted some idea of what my total will be.

I picked up 2 35# and 2 25# steel "free weights" for $25.00. Will I do any damage adding an additional 60 pounds per side?

Thanks,

Mike B :)

·
5,525 Posts
50 pounds for just one.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, with the factory weights coming in at 50 pounds and the added free weights I now have 220 pounds of weight mounted to the rear wheels. Hopefully that will keep me from having to bounce up and down in the seat for traction in the snow.

Thanks!

Mike B

·
Deceased Member
2,027 Posts
NO amount of weight is going to help you if you end up on ice. You would do well to look for some chains. They would help more for traction on ice than extra weight.

Also, I would rather have access to the Controlled Differential knob than extra weight on the tires. If those 'free weights' block access to it, you will lose the option to lock the differential.

I don't have any weights on my 1256 but the tires are fluid filled which adds a lot of weight. If I can find some Bolens weights at a decent price I plan to get some for it. I do have some Craftsman weights, but I put those on the G10 since it doesn't have a controlled differential, and I don't need to have access to the center of the wheel on it.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I do have V-link chains.

My wheel weights have a 2" center hole so I made a spanner wrench to fit the Differencial Control knob out of a 1-1/2" PVC Coupling and a short piece of pipe glued to it. I carry the wrench on the lift lever...works great!

I tried to upload pictures but I keep getting a message that the web site is not working...

·
Deceased Member
2,027 Posts
Make sure that you don't 'lean' on that 'wrench" when tightening the knob if/when you do. That knob only meant to be hand turned.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the tip/heads-up OldBuzzard,

The "wrench" as it is, is nothing more than a piece of PVC pipe. There is no cross bar or tape or anything to give the operator a better grip, so over tightining shouldn't be a problem.

Now all I need is some snow to go play in...

Still can't get my picture to upload :dunno:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts