My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I've been real busy and haven't had much time to hang out here, and partially what I've been busy with is my Duraforce.

It ran great last year, but this year it is giving me a run for my money. The ignition coil problem had gotten worse, to the point that it wouldn't start if it was even slightly damp. I had cooked the coil twice and that temporarily solved the problem, but I eventually just bit the bullet and bought a new coil. So, that problem is solved, but another gremlin has crept into the 10323.

The mower runs fine at my house, but every time I take it to mow somewhere else, it takes a crap on me. It will run for about 20 minutes under moderately heavy use, but then starts surging, sputters and dies. Won't fire back up. I figured the float was sticking shut so I tore down the carb, adjusted the float, cleaned out all the passages, and put it back together. Ran great for an hour at my house! Took it into town, starting mowing a customer's lawn and it's back again - the same problem - except this time I got it to stay running (although rich) with the choke on.

After getting severely angry (customers told me to wait longer to mow the lawn, then when I got there and it was a foot high told me to cut it lower, too) and finally finishing the job, I put the mower back in the wagon and was ready to call it a day. What I noticed though is that under the bottom crank seal there is some wet grass and fuel collecting. I had just cleaned it up before using it on that lawn so I know it was a result of only about 45 minutes of use.

My question is: could a bad crank seal cause the symptoms I'm having, or should I just go back to the carb again? If I had it running rich, is that enough to cause saturation under the crank seal, or do you think my crank seal is going bad? I'm prepared to tear it all down and put new seals and reed valves in (crank bearings are tight, I believe). For now, the Lawn Boy sits, temporarily replaced by an OLD 4 stroke Snapper as my mowing rig. I want my LB back!!!

Thanks guys,

Justin

·
LAWN-BOY-AHOLIC
1,349 Posts
Yep, got yourself a leaking bottom seal, clean it up, replace the seal and you should be back in business. Be careful not to damage the new seal when sliping it over the crank, clean and lube the shaft and check for burrs or ridges before installing the seal. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
2,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's what I was leaning towards. I noticed it getting a little saturated over the period of a few weeks of use last year, but thought it might just be typical.

Here's some pics, just 'cuz:

The leaky crank area:

And one with my daughter, just turned two!

·
Castor Freak
2,167 Posts
Ya might want to put some tape or something over that main jet on the side of the carb, you don't want any dirt to get in there.

·
Castor Freak
2,167 Posts
How bout we split somewhere in the middle and agree it's a "jet"? :ROF Thanks for that echoman, someones gotta watch and make sure I don't mess up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts