My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Decesaed (R.I.P.)
1,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A 10323 I picked up yesterday, well the engine, what's left of it. A pic of the 10201 I picked up with it after going through it and getting it ready to mow. wasn't running. A customer's 4502 I redid snuck in the pic as well.

Attachments

·
Registered
972 Posts
Wouldn't be quite as bad except for the colateral damage like the reed plate, etc and I can't tell if you crank is effed or not...
If it were just the rod then by all means but leave the cylinder out of it!!

·
Lawn-Boy fan
1,566 Posts
I would like to witness one of these failing like this. Looks pretty rough. Throw the deck on ebay and you'll get something for it if it isn't bent and rusted.

·
Decesaed (R.I.P.)
1,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, I'd like to know what happened. Freak has seen a few he said. Must be something going on with them. Maybe they just used a weak rod assembly for that much power. Doesn't really look more beefy than an F rod but there's some power difference for sure. Unless people are just messing with the govs and over reving them.

The deck is in usable shape. All the plastic that goes with the toe gaurd is all broken out. There's surface rust of course but nothing major. If I had a decent short block I'd be in business. All I got is A's. C's, D's, F's, and a V laying around.

The good old F is still the king of the LB engines IMO with the D600 a very close 2nd.

·
2 stroke enthusiast
6,568 Posts
Doesn't really look more beefy than an F rod but there's some power difference for sure. Unless people are just messing with the govs and over reving them.

That's exactly whats going on. Lot's of power being made and torque being applied with a rod that's too thin.

·
Decesaed (R.I.P.)
1,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Doesn't really look more beefy than an F rod but there's some power difference for sure. Unless people are just messing with the govs and over reving them.

That's exactly whats going on. Lot's of power being made and torque being applied with a rod that's too thin.
So much for "commercial grade" :fing32:

Not sad I put my 10424 up for sale now and decided to keep an 8241AE as my personal mower. That DuraForce is freakin heavy also. After seeing the insides of this one I clicked the gov down a few on the 10424 :rauch10:

Any ideas on what did that to the reed valves? I'm still trying to figure that one out.

·
2 stroke enthusiast
6,568 Posts
Rods shouldn't just break unless the engine is or has been run lean on oil and seen excessive heat, over speed conditions or working beyond it's capacity as in mulching tree stumps or the like.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Rods shouldn't just break unless the engine is or has been run lean on oil and seen excessive heat, over speed conditions or working beyond it's capacity as in mulching tree stumps or the like.
Echoman, I have to tell ya, I've got quite a mental picture in my head right now picturing someone "mulching tree stumps"...LMAO.........

Steve in Pa

·
Banned
864 Posts
lol crock mulches tree stumps with his D-F
are you shoure it wasen't his mower

·
Administrator
21,370 Posts
Back about 10 or so years ago I mowed a few lawns for some pocket money. Well, my daughter needed some money one time. I thought I was in Florida, with all the waving palms I saw flying around in my living room. I said, Fine, I'll give you $25, but you have to help me mow a lawn (which I got $25 for mowing anyways). She was not real happy, I'll tell you. Had to work for the $25! It's terrible to be born into such a cruel family....

Anyway, there was a cast iron stand pipe in the customers yard. Of course I told her, "Don't hit that thing!" Of course, she hit it! Ka-Wham! Killed the mower. Well, I started it again and it ran kind of funny, with a bit of a vibration, but it ran. I mowed with that mower for about 6 more weeks. The $25 I gave my daughter had long been spent on necessities, lip gloss, hair fu-fu, shoes, etc... Anyways, after those 6 weeks went by I started the mower to cut my own grass at home. She went bang! The rod broke and punctured a hole in the manifold. I tore her apart and I kid you not, the connecting rod was twisted at least 45-60 degrees from straight. It had finally broken, but you could see the twist in there.

Not really any moral to this story, but I was hoping to be able to tell it and this seemed like an good opportunity. Makes me wonder how many of those broken connecting rods have a big "Klunk" in their past, but just kept on a ticking for a period of time and then, out of the blue, broke. ("Gee, I don't know, I was just mowing the grass and Bingo!, she broke.") Had I not watched my daughter try to mow over a 6 inch cast iron pipe I would have scratched my head and wondered what on earth happened to make the rod break by cutting a nice smooth yard.

Wish I still had that rod. I threw it out a few years ago when we moved, but it was quite the conversation piece. When my daughter got married I should have wrapped it up and given it to her instead of a nice $100 gift..... (Don't think her OR her mother would have seen the humor)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts