My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It is getting harder for me to resist buying a new CUT. My 6 year old son and I went out looking at motorcycles, tractors and a really cool toy hauler, but I can't stop drooling on this darn 1 series. The dealer is going to write me a quote and email me on Monday for a 1026R with FEL, 54inch mmm and rear snow blower...."forgot to ask him to quote a rear bagger also." I was leaning heavily towards the Yanmar SC2400 series until the 1 Series came out.

My son kept going over to the 2320. I like the 2320 also, but I think it my testosterone that drives me to the tougher looking 2320. To be quite honest, I have been trying to wait 2 more seasons to get a real machine, but I think the hydro in my L2048 has just about had. We also have hilly property that I've been clearing little by little and the deeper I go, the more I am expecting from a garden tractor that just isn't up to the task.

From those who have purchased a 1023e or 1026r, how much should I be paying with the configuration I'm looking at? Also for those with 1 series experience and 2320 experience, are the 2 tractor vastly different?

Does the dealer take into account the volume of drool in his pricing...please say it isn't so

I posted this under a thread the other day and I'm thinking I should have started a new thread.

·
9K+ Poster
12,164 Posts
It is getting harder for me to resist buying a new CUT. My 6 year old son and I went out looking at motorcycles, tractors and a really cool toy hauler, but I can't stop drooling on this darn 1 series. The dealer is going to write me a quote and email me on Monday for a 1026R with FEL, 54inch mmm and rear snow blower...."forgot to ask him to quote a rear bagger also." I was leaning heavily towards the Yanmar SC2400 series until the 1 Series came out.

My son kept going over to the 2320. I like the 2320 also, but I think it my testosterone that drives me to the tougher looking 2320. To be quite honest, I have been trying to wait 2 more seasons to get a real machine, but I think the hydro in my L2048 has just about had. We also have hilly property that I've been clearing little by little and the deeper I go, the more I am expecting from a garden tractor that just isn't up to the task.

From those who have purchased a 1023e or 1026r, how much should I be paying with the configuration I'm looking at? Also for those with 1 series experience and 2320 experience, are the 2 tractor vastly different?

Does the dealer take into account the volume of drool in his pricing...please say it isn't so

I posted this under a thread the other day and I'm thinking I should have started a new thread.
Pricing is regional and impacted by the amount of competition. Dealers make less and less and are forced to pick up little things that add up all the way to participating in the financing. As for the machine, a couple of things I would recommend: first go with the largest deck you can use. The 62 deck is a better fit. It will have better overlap over the wheelbase making for better edging and effectively reduce the uncut circle left. If you will be mowing hills, a test drive of both tractors on your property is in order. The 10xx tractors will almost surely mow your hills in high range making for quick work but the 2320 is geared much differently and along with pulling taller tires with the same hp you may need to drop down to low range and that may be too slow for your needs.

Happy hunting! :)

·
3K & Yet So Little to Say
3,341 Posts
JDF is giving you good advice! He is spot on about the gearing too. My land is flat, so we could mow in high range with the 2320. The ride on the 1026R is better with a lower center of gravity and the better seat suspension. I also posted this in response to your questions over in my thread:

UT is right I have just about had them all :D I think the 2320 and the 1026R are vastly different. The 1026R has more creature comforts, which for Mrs. CP and myself, is a biggie. I never found the 2320 to be the best lawn mower, it isn't bad, but it could have been better. I am psyched about the 7Iron deck, but didn't take delivery until late fall, so I just put it away until spring. If you are interested in prices, shoot me a PM. :fing32:
:goodl: and have fun!:fing32:

·
Registered
542 Posts
First off---JDF is right on getting a 60" MMM for the 1026 or a 62-72 for the 2320 depending on your yard. I love my 62". If I had a more level terrain yard, I'd go with a 7 iron drive over 72".
The biggest reason I see to get a 2320 is for the higher ground clearance. While it does have some other nice features, I would only choose the 2320 over the 1026 for ground clearance if you want to use it in a wooded area. Otherwise for a mainly lawn care tractor & for other yard work, I'd probably lean towards the 1026.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I think your 1026R vs 2320 decision should be based on defining your tractors primary purpose and operator. Is the purpose regular duty or heavy duty?

As examples if the primary purpose is regular duty:

- finish mowing
- tilling a small garden under an acre
- loader used to transport material as opposed to dirt digging
- light to moderate snow removal typically measured in inches
- kids & wife want to operate. More :trink40: time for you.
then maybe the smaller 1026R might make better sense.

Heavy duty:

- rough cut mowing
- tilling acres and acres of dirt
- loader digging in the dirt work
- deep heavy snow removal typically measured in feet not inches
then the bigger, heavier, increased ground clearance of the 2320 might make better sense.

·
'11 1026R
360 Posts
In my experience, the price on the same exact package will vary up to 10% amongst different dealers. Call no less than four dealers for quotes, and buy from whoever you feel best with.

Mine was $17935.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the advice guys. Still haven't heard from the dealer, so it might be time to check with someone else.

·
I have my bear skin
698 Posts
Still haven't heard from the dealer, so it might be time to check with someone else.
I would say so too. If they are hard to find to sell you the tractor,imagine how difficult service will be.

my 2 cents.

JD40

·
Likes Vintage JDs
9,875 Posts

Mine was $17935.
Hi Xskier,

Thanks for sharing that price you paid. Could I ask a favor, and ask you to break that down a bit? For instance, what was your configuration and did that price include taxes? Thanks a lot.

JD40, Unless you have a specific need for the extra ground clearance, the 1026r is probably the better solution. But, more details about your property and how you plan to use the machine would be helpful.

·
Likes Vintage JDs
9,875 Posts
Hi Xskier,

Thanks for sharing that price you paid. Could I ask a favor, and ask you to break that down a bit? For instance, what was your configuration and did that price include taxes? Thanks a lot.

Sgilson, Unless you have a specific need for the extra ground clearance, the 1026r is probably the better solution. But, more details about your property and how you plan to use the machine would be helpful.
Oops, that should have read "sgilson", not "JD40". Sorry about the mix-up. I corrected it in the bolded quote above.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No worries guys. The quote I got had a couple attachment prices I didn't ask for. The breakout on price I got was as follows:

JOHN DEERE 1026R Tractor $ 11,700.00 X 1 = $ 11,700.00

JOHN DEERE H120 NSL Loader $ 3,125.00 X 1 = $ 3,125.00

JOHN DEERE 54D In. Mid-Mount Side
Discharge Mower (For 1023E, 1026R
Tractors) $ 2,028.00 X 1 = $ 2,028.00

Frontier RC2048 Lift-Type Rotary Cutter $ 1,733.00 X 1 = $ 1,733.00

Frontier SB1148 - 48 In. 3-Point Medium
Snowblower - U.S.
$ 2,440.00 X 1 = $ 2,440.00

Sorry I didn't elaborate more earlier. Our property has about 3/4 of an acre "grass" that is rather flat. The driveway is 300 feet long and uphill both ways. I'll try to post pics so you guys can get an idea of what my current 2048 works. The big issue is the other 3 acres is rather hilly. I am working towards the back of the property where a creek runs through our property. From the house, to the creek area is about a 60 foot drop with flat areas in between, but some steep slopes and drops to get there. I have been logging off the pines for years. I love hardwoods, but the pines had to go. I'll be working in the creek area in some marshy area dropping rocks to retain the shape of the stream every now and then. I will also be using the loader to haul cut logs, but over smooth terrain. A friend turns the logs into mulch for me each spring. I expect to use the tractor for 50% mowing duty and the other attachments the rest of the time. As I put in seed to retain some parts of the steeper hills, my current 2048 slides down the hills going forward and spins going up hill. I can't put the baggers on with the suitcase weights and I'm just working the little thing to death. Hope this answers any and all questions.

·
Likes Vintage JDs
9,875 Posts
Yep, it sounds like you could really use a S/CUT. Tough call which one, though. Hopefully these guys will give you some more feedback.

Thanks for sharing the price quote.

·
'11 1026R
360 Posts
That number was "out the door". My package includes:
1026R tractor with R4 tires
H120 loader
+53" bucket
- ballast box
54D mower
+auto connect
standard mechanical lift
Front quick hitch
+power angle
+1000 series support
54" snow blade
Printed technical manual
Rears loaded with rimguard
One 42lb quick tach weigh
Setup
Freight
6% MI sales tax.

All in all, it was the second best deal that I found. The decision to buy at this price, was a nice small local dealer that I felt the most comfortable with

·
'11 1026R
360 Posts
Furthermore sgilson, my property and goals are exactly as yours. I too made the move from LT to SCUT, because the 425 Deere was always coming up just a little short.

·
3,341 Posts
sgilson, tough call on which one is best. I am not sure there is a right or wrong machine. It may come down to which one is most comfortable and or which one you just plain like better.:fing32:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My father and I have been debating the reverse aspect of snow blowing. He wants to know why I don't want to go with a standard front mount snow blower. His argument is snowblowing backwards will get tiresome, but I want to keep the loader while I snowblow. He thinks the loader will end up wacking something because the attention will be at the back of the machine on not the front. On another note, is there a simple way to install a 5000 pound winch to the tractor? I didn't see one available on the JD website.

Thanks

·
3,341 Posts
The front mount blowers do come at a price premium. I can also see you Dad's point of the bucket hitting something. Is the area(s) you will be blowing snow in, tight quarters? If not, then it may not be that big of an issue.:fing32:

·
Registered
61 Posts
my pricing probably won't be worth anything to you guys because i'm from Canada, but i just paid 17,500.00$ for mine, that includes a 5,000.00$ downpayment from my end and some discounting from the dealer and the 15% sales tax.

1023E c/w
-H120 Loader
-54" mower deck w/mulching kit
-54" front mount snowblower w/power chute
-Block heater
-Forward Lighting kit
-Rear ballast box
-Industrial tires

Regards,
Alex

·
Registered
15 Posts
That number was "out the door". My package includes:
1026R tractor with R4 tires
H120 loader
+53" bucket
- ballast box
54D mower
+auto connect
standard mechanical lift
Front quick hitch
+power angle
+1000 series support
54" snow blade
Printed technical manual
Rears loaded with rimguard
One 42lb quick tach weigh
Setup
Freight
6% MI sales tax.

All in all, it was the second best deal that I found. The decision to buy at this price, was a nice small local dealer that I felt the most comfortable with
Here's mine so you can compare:

1026R w/R4 tires

H120 Loader
-quick connect bucket
-ballast box
60D auto MMM
+hydro lift
All tires loaded
Setup
Freight
Delivery
7% Ohio tx