My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a new 1025r with loader and backhoe. I am having a problem shifting from a stopped position from neutral to high or low gear. The lever just won't budge. This happens whether the tractor is on or off. Sometimes it works perfectly and I have no problems. It goes into high or low like butter. Very smooth. However, Other times, I can shift into low but can't shift into high. Other times, I can shift into high but can't shift it into low. It seems if I rock the tractor with my weight a little forward and back, that seems to help a little. This condition seems to happen on flat surfaces and on sloped surfaces and regardless of whether the tractor is warm or cold. It's almost as if some adjustment is off (I hope). Is there something that I should be doing before I engage High or Low gear or should it freely shift into high or low range. I was recently at the county fair where there was a display of JD tractors. The display was put on by the same dealer I purchased my tractor from. There was a 1025r there. So I went over to it to see if it would shift from neutral to high or low. It shifted right into high but would not go into low no matter how much I tried. So it seems like this other new 1025r has the same issue. So I am thinking maybe there is something I am supposed to be doing before shifting it into gear. Or maybe there is some adjustment that the dealer needs to be making pre-delivery. I have a call into the dealer but they cannot come out for several days. I would hate to have them come out if it is something I am not doing right. Anyone else have this problem or know what could be wrong. Thanks for the help.

·
All-around nice guy
1,312 Posts
I don't believe you have a problem. The Hi-Low gearing is not synchronized. The tractor should be running while you try to shift between Ranges(Hi-Low). Move the hydrostatic lever very slightly in either direction, while shifting the Range lever. This will allow the gears to mech.

·
Premium Member
746 Posts
Knock on wood, I don't have a problem. While running, I come to a stop and move it high or low and it goes right in. I hope you get this worked out.

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
I don't think you have a problem. While stationary, If it doesn't go right in lightly step on the forward/reverse pedal, then try again. Don't force it or try while moving.

·
Registered
941 Posts
As another sign of support, same on my Massey, most of the time it shifts OK, but on occasion, things just don't line up right....apply real light pressure on either hydro pedal, and it slips right in..

·
Likes Vintage JDs
9,875 Posts
My understanding was that the 1-Series has shift-on-the-fly, so ordinarily you shouldn't have to come to a halt when switching between high and low range, no?

·
MTF mile high club member
5,919 Posts
These guys have you on the right track, but range selection will never be shift on the fly; that would be like trying to take a 4x4 pickup from high range to low range without stopping (not good!). :fing32:

If you want reassurance, check the manual.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks. I will give that a shot. I did notice that when I pressed the forward pedal just a little while in neutral, I was then able to shift it into high or low. However, this does not work all the time. I have also rocked the tractor back and forth slightly and that seemed to help sometimes.

·
Likes Vintage JDs
9,875 Posts
These guys have you on the right track, but range selection will never be shift on the fly; that would be like trying to take a 4x4 pickup from high range to low range without stopping (not good!)...

Huh?!:dunno:

2-RANGE SHIFT-ON-THE-GO®
A Yanmar exclusive, you’ll be able to shift between the high and low range without stopping or disengaging cruise control. This is perfect when using the loader, tiller or grading equipment. Shifting that’s easier on the engine and safer to operate allows you to focus on the job you set out to do.

·
Likes Vintage JDs
9,875 Posts
Didn't know this was the Yanmar forum. :dunno:
No, but it's an entirely Yanmar driveline in the 1-Series. The feature I quoted above was from the Yanmar SC2400 specs, just to show that it is possible to shift-on-the-go between ranges.

However, I think I was confusing this feature with another feature that was introduced when the 1-Series debuted:

On-the-Fly 4WD Engagement:

4WD can be engaged on the go. This is possible because of a collar shift engagement rather than the conventional sliding gear engagement. Competitive tractors cannot engage 4WD on the go because they use a sliding gear engagement.

·
MTF mile high club member
5,919 Posts
No, but it's an entirely Yanmar driveline in the 1-Series. The feature I quoted above was from the Yanmar SC2400 specs, just to show that it is possible to shift-on-the-go between ranges.

However, I think I was confusing this feature with another feature that was introduced when the 1-Series debuted:
Roger that, my bad on the "never happen" part; never happen with Deere is probably closer to reality. I'd like to know more about that system and if they have speed restrictions, etc. (online manuals that I found are pretty vague).

Deere is not vague at all in the manual..

"IMPORTANT: Avoid Damage! To prevent transmission damage, stop machine motion completely before shifting the range shift lever."

Then they mention it again later on.

·
Likes Vintage JDs
9,875 Posts
Roger that, my bad on the "never happen" part; never happen with Deere is probably closer to reality. I'd like to know more about that system and if they have speed restrictions, etc. (online manuals that I found are pretty vague).

Deere is not vague at all in the manual..

"IMPORTANT: Avoid Damage! To prevent transmission damage, stop machine motion completely before shifting the range shift lever."

Then they mention it again later on.
Yeah. I saw that when I followed your link -- which then jogged my fuzzy memory some more. And I don't know how Yanmar does that with range selection or what the restrictions might be. It would be nice to have both, but I think if it's one or the other, I'd prefer on-the-fly 4WD engagement.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I use the on-the-fly 4wd select quite often. That is nice.

I don't mind the stopping to change between ranges. I'm not exactly sure I'd want to switch between high and low range on the go. Just noting the difference in speed between the two ranges, I would think low to high would be ok, but high to low I'd be afraid of eating the steering wheel! I would think that would be a sudden slow down!

Jeff

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The dealer service guy came out and looked at the tractor. They contacted John Deere who advised them to bring the tractor back to the shop for some type of repair. I will check with the service dept to see what John Deere authorized them to do. After reading some replies to this thread, it seemed that the issue may have be normal and just requires a slight tap on one of the hydro pedals to allow shifting into low or high when stopped. I am concerned that after opening the transmission up it will never be right again. Wouldn't the technical support people at John Deere have advised the dealer that this was a normal condition if it was supposed to be that way? Some replies said the tranny is not synchronized so it doesn't always line up and requires a tap on the hydro pedals. Wouldn't John Deere have known that? John Deere seems to think its a problem. What in the world do I do now. I hope they can fix it if it is not working right. This thing is brand new. Nothing like making payments on a tractor you can't use.

·
Registered
35 Posts
After reading some replies to this thread, it seemed that the issue may have be normal and just requires a slight tap on one of the hydro pedals to allow shifting into low or high when stopped.
That is correct, sir. The gear edges aren't beveled so if the teeth don't line up, they will not engage. A slight tap of the forward or reverse pedal will allow them to engage. Completely normal.

·
Registered
668 Posts
I have a 7 year old 2305 and you must hit the forward or reverse pedal just barely.
Also I may be the strange one here but I hardly ever use high range, 4 acres of hilly ground. of670 hours maybe a total of 1 hour in high.

·
Registered
3,164 Posts
like any geared transmission, when the gears are under load, its hard (or impossible) to shift into N or other range.... if you stop on a hill, and apply the brake (which is a typical scenario when you may want to shift) the gears are loaded - and shifting will be difficult or impossible... try the same on flat ground, and no-brake, and you should have zero problems...

if you "must" shift while on a hill, gently releasing the brake, or pressing fwd/rev pedals- so the tractor can creep a few inches - will do the trick, but be ready to put the brake fully on when you get to N, because at that point, the hydro is no longer keeping you in position - the tractor could roll-away backwards or whatever direction - downhill - creating real danger....

cheers!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts