My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wanting to get a hydraulic log splitter for use with my 1025r. My question is this,..

I have added the power beyond kit to the tractor. I would like a "2 way" log splitter. My dealership says he carries a brand that may work,..do any of you use one? And if so, what have your found works the best? And do they work with the iMatch hitch?

Thanks!

·
21,405 Posts
That depends on if you're willing to live with a splitter that doesn't go fast.

I have used the FEL hydraulics on my GT for about 20 years. Flow is about the same as the system on most SCUTs and the relief is set at 1500 psi instead of the 2000 psi for my MF GC 2310. With a 3.5" cylinder, wedge speed is barely acceptable and it will develope just over 7 tons of push on cylinder extension and a bit short of 6 tons for retraction on the GT. Add 25% using the higher available pressure on the SCUT (9 and 7).

At max flow, wedge speed will be 2.4" per second on extension. I never saw the benefit in running the engine wide open in order to use 1/3 of its horsepower capability and so I ran it about 2/3 throttle where it's even slower, about 3" per second, and fuel consumption is lower.

A larger cylinder to generate more force capability will be markedly slower.

I'm not trying to discourage you, just letting you know that speed is not going to be it's strong suit. I've been quite happy with the performance of mine over the years.

·
21,405 Posts
Something does not compute with the listed specs for that splitter. Cylinder bore listed is 2.75" diameter, 5.94 sq-in. Pressure is speced at 2700 psi and your system is relieved at 2000 psi. At the specified pressure, force level is 16,000 lb (8 tons), not 16 tons.

At 2000 psi, force will be 5.94 tons.

That is going to be light for splitting 18" diameter maple or birch blocks. Poplar and softwoods it should handle.

·
Likes Vintage JDs
9,875 Posts
I have no first hand experience to report, but I am interested in the subject. I hope to someday have a tractor-mounted splitter to help with basic home-owner volume of splitting that I do. I realize different people have different circumstances and objectives, but for me, the tractor-mount/3PH splitter seems like a good solution. Here's why:

Speed: A tractor-mount splitter won't be as fast as a stand-alone, but for the volume of wood I split I'm okay with that. I would rather spend some extra time splitting wood with the tractor, than spend extra time maintaining a dedicated engine for the splitter.

Strength: I can live with a less powerful splitter. Right now, I am splitting everything by hand with an axe. I am pretty selective in what I harvest, so tend to avoid anything that is massive or gnarled. My back is more valuable to me than any piece of firewood, so I am not going out of my way to harvest super-heavy wood with a massive girth. I am pretty sure that a splitter with 10 tons of force can handle anything that I split by hand.

That Split-Fire splitter looks real nice. The 2-way splitting action probably saves some time. But I think if you are operating solo and the splitter has an auto-return feature, you could be nearly as productive since you can reach for the next piece of wood while it is returning.

I prefer the design that runs athwart/across the 3PH, rather than the kind that sticks out straight behind (which makes the machine VERY long). I also like the vertical/horizontal option that some offer, to avoid lifting those heavier pieces up to the splitter rail.

Here are some 3PH splitters I've bookmarked over the years:

Northern Tool - Powerhorse 3PH Vert/Horiz Splitter

Wallenstein Splitters

Iron & Oak Splitters @ Woodsplitters Direct Note, smaller 12-Ton Version Available

If you are concerned about cycle times and strength, Timberwolf and American CLS make 3PH units that are powered by the PTO:

Timberwolf 3PH/PTO Splitter

American CLS 3PH Splitter w/ Optional PTO Powerpack

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
I probably split more wood than most. I just can't see putting that # of hours on a very expensive tractor motor when the same # of hours can be put on a very inexpensive, easily replaceable gas motor. Fuel use will be about the same.

I put about 100 hours a year on the tractor mowing 3 acres, spraying an orchard every 14 days, spreading fertilizer and spraying for a small lawn care business, and blowing my own and several driveways during the winter.

I put about 100 hours on the splitter doing this wood pile, 4 rows that are 135' long.
Stand alone splitters are pretty cheap and bullet proof.

FWIW, the log table on the 3 pt you posted is way too small.

One years worth of splitting:

·
Registered
7,945 Posts
My neighbor had a 3PH splitter. He did me many favors over the years.

One year just before Christmas, I built him a frame that converted the splitter to self powered, with a 8HP engine.

Well, he came back and said his church group was unhappy.

It seems like the group would get together, load a log on the 3PH tractor powered splitter, then "chat" while they waited for the log to split.

The new splitter made them work, no time for chatting, they finished their volunteer work in record time.

(He then told me he was joking about the group being unhappy!! :fing32:)

He never put the splitter back on the tractor, and was VERY happy with it.

·
1025R FILB Owner
299 Posts
One years worth of splitting

Regardless of what you are using, that is just down-right IMPRESSIVE!

I just sold my Troy-Bilt stand alone log splitter to a friend that heats his house with an outdoor wood burner since I do not need it any longer. I had figured that in the future if I needed a splitter, I would buy a 3pt unit... although after looking at the specs of these, I would probably buy another stand alone unit. I hate the thought of maintaining another motor again, however, it looks like the performance just isn't there. My splitter was a 27 ton unit and a replacement would be more tonnage. My opinion is to have more than you need, than not have enough and wish you had more. But I've also had to split stuff in the 32 to 34" range. But I can't control the size of the stuff I've had to split. If you could select smaller all the time, then sure, you could get by with less. Anyway, just my $0.02 that's worth half that...

·
Registered
96 Posts
I too have tried to figure out which way is the best.For me splitting about 20 chords a winter the 3pnt works well.It only gets used for about 1 month a year so I can't justify having another motor and hyd pump just sitting there.With a 5 inch cyl it is a little slow but will split anything and being mounted it can be set on the ground to roll the big ones on.

·
21,405 Posts
Regardless of what you are using, that is just down-right IMPRESSIVE!

I just sold my Troy-Bilt stand alone log splitter to a friend that heats his house with an outdoor wood burner since I do not need it any longer. I had figured that in the future if I needed a splitter, I would buy a 3pt unit... although after looking at the specs of these, I would probably buy another stand alone unit. I hate the thought of maintaining another motor again, however, it looks like the performance just isn't there. My splitter was a 27 ton unit and a replacement would be more tonnage. My opinion is to have more than you need, than not have enough and wish you had more. But I've also had to split stuff in the 32 to 34" range. But I can't control the size of the stuff I've had to split. If you could select smaller all the time, then sure, you could get by with less. Anyway, just my $0.02 that's worth half that...
Make the pump and reservoir part of the 3PH splitter package and drive it with the tractor's rear PTO. You will have to increase the pump speed by at least a factor of 3 from the PTO's 540 rpm.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So I called up the sales guy at "Split fire" today. He told me that although the 2203 and 3203 would work on my tractor, he would not recommend it. He then went on to say that they now build the 3203 with a PTO driven pump and reservoir system that is bullet proof and cycles faster than 2 people can handle.

He recommended I contact my local JD dealer (Which just happens to be the one I bought my new 1025r from) and they could price one out for them. They price came to just over $2700 for the unit and they would build it to fit the IMatch hitch as well.

I'm torn here. That is a whack of cash for a splitter!!!

·
Super Moderator
15,163 Posts
I used my stand alone today. I built this in 1982 and it still has the same 8 HP Briggs Flat head engine I bought new back then. Maintenance has been changing the oil every season and cleaning the air filter. I have changed the hydro oil a few times but that has to be done on a tractor as well. It has a two stage 16 GPM pump. Storage is a bit more of a problem than a 3PH splitter. Like was mentioned, I reverse the valve and get the next log, it keeps me busy. It's a 4" tie rod cylinder with a 24" stroke and is fairly fast. I heat with wood and have been since building this. it gets a workout every year. As I get older it gets more difficult to lift the bigger logs but I have come up with ways to get around that.
Not trying to talk anyone into anything, just sharing my experience.

Today was just some fire pit wood from a couple of storm damage pine trees which you can see what's still standing where i stacked the wood.
My wood pile is obscured by the tractor in the one picture but I'm all set for winter.

Attachments

·
21,405 Posts

·
Likes Vintage JDs
9,875 Posts
... They price came to just over $2700 for the unit and they would build it to fit the IMatch hitch as well.

Too rich for my blood, even for a 2-way splitter....
I have to agree -- that is a boatload of cash. $2700 buys a lot of heating fuel or natural gas.

Besides the simpliciity, one of the beauties of the 3PH mount splitter that runs off tractor hydraulics is low/moderate investment. Once you add on the PTO pump and reservoir, I guess the price escalates in a big way. It just doesn't make financial sense to me to go that route as a homeowner. (Maybe as a commercial operator?? But even then, for high-volume splitting a stand-alone seems like the way to go.)

How much wood will you be splitting annually? If you are splitting as much wood as C5Rulz, a dedicated splitter might make more sense. But we've also heard form SS sixteen who manages to split a pretty good load with his 3PH version.

Maybe try calling Iron&Oak/Woodsplitters Direct and get a second opinion about their 3PH splitter?

·
Registered
7,945 Posts
I have too agree -- that is a boatload of cash. $2700 buys a lot of heating fuel or natural gas.

Besides the simpliciity, one of the beauties of the 3PH mount splitter that runs off tractor hydraulics is low/moderate investment. Once you add on the PTO pump and reservoir, I guess the price escalates in a big way. It just doesn't make financial sense to me to go that route as a homeowner. (Maybe as a commercial operator?? (But even then, for high-volume splitting a stand-alone seems like the way to go.)
Turn on the conventional heat for this season, and rethink the splitter.

:ditto: the lots of heat,,, and,,,, LOTS of tools!!

Use that money to buy EVERY tool you need, the materials necessary, and build one.

I had the materials, so I built mine, and I doubt it takes up as much space as a 3 point hitch splitter,,,, :dunno:

And, it does a LOT more than a 3 point hitch purchased splitter,,,,

·
Registered
96 Posts
I built mine in the late 70's and it was pretty much free, l started collecting what I needed before hand. It's a little rough around the edges but has had no problems. The debate is should I switch it over to small motor and pump and reservoir? Would save tractor running all the time and doing little work using more fuel. It is hard to know as we have read on this thread.

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
I built my splitter for a 1958 JD 520 using tractor hydraulics. When I sold the 520 & bought the '04-790, I had to add a "splitter valve" & long hoses to hook up to the loader bucket cylinder. I tie of the joy stick to the opposite fender with a tarp strap & use the splitter valve. This isn't fast, but neither am I & I work alone. By the time I stack the splits, the cylinder has retracted for the next block. As for hours on the tractor, I put about 100 hours/year on the 790 & this isn't going to add more than another 5-10 hours/year at the most! For me, better than having another small engine to keep running! ~~ Lowell

Attachments

·
21,405 Posts
CAD, that's a well thought out and put together tool! :thThumbsU

I built a vertical splitter for my GT that runs off the loader hydraulic system that I have used for several of the same tasks, bending rebar, bending flat steel into brackets, and splitting wood. Being vertical also presents the option of lifting heavy loads like the front or back of a vehicle that has sat for years, and it only takes up a 2 foot square of shop space.

It's a pretty rough looking apparatus compared to yours, but it has served me well for almost 30 years.

·
Super Moderator
15,163 Posts
I notice a common theme among most guys on here no matter what thread it is. We take a little pride in doing and making things ourselves. Getting creative. One of the benefits of this forum is everyone is wiling to share their ideas and save someone else the trouble of making some mistakes. The knowledge on herre is sometimes overwhelming! :thThumbsU

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
So I called up the sales guy at "Split fire" today. He told me that although the 2203 and 3203 would work on my tractor, he would not recommend it. He then went on to say that they now build the 3203 with a PTO driven pump and reservoir system that is bullet proof and cycles faster than 2 people can handle.

He recommended I contact my local JD dealer (Which just happens to be the one I bought my new 1025r from) and they could price one out for them. They price came to just over $2700 for the unit and they would build it to fit the IMatch hitch as well.

That is a lot for a splitter where you have to provide the motor. The splitters in the $1000 range are OK for most users. I've got a 28 ton Speeco, purchased one year ago, which after promotions came to $1250. It's OK, certainly not a high end one. I'll probably run it two years, and sell and get a new one. I'll advertise it as only used by a Retired Guy on the weekends.:sidelaugh

FWIW, I hope to double production this Winter to 40 full cords. Last year the snow got so deep in late Dec., I couldn't get any for the rest of the Winter.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts