My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kind of an amusing story with an FYI at the end.

After a couple months of research and adjusting my initial budget, I finally pulled the trigger on a new John Deere 1025R TLB. Had it delivered the day before the weather turned warm and very wet. This carried on for a couple weeks. Every weekend I would hope for some dry weather, but it was not to be. Finally, a weekend came along that was cold enough that the ground froze after a night of ice and snow. Tractor starts up with no problem. I let it idle for a couple minutes to warm up. When I select gear high or low the engine stalls. For some reason I thought the seat switch may not be enjoying the cold weather. So I restart the engine and sit for about 15 minutes in 10 degree temperature with the hope that the seat will warm up. Another attempt at gear selection gives the same results. I restart the engine then start raising and lowering the seat and rolling the seat forwards and backwards in an attempt to jar some ice loose. All to no avail.

A google search showed how to short out the switch, but I did not want to do since I have less than an hour of engine time (most of which has been idling while trying to thaw out the seat). Finally came across a reasonable solution of putting a knee in the middle of the cushion to break up any frozen moisture. Fortunately that worked! Proceeded to enjoy the next couple hours getting aquainted with the new machine.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts