My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, great to be back! Hope everybody is well!!!! My 10247 started smoking this year. I installed a new plug gapped to .035. Cleaned the air filter and lightly coated it with 10W30. I'm using Lawn Boy oil in 93 octane gas (32:1) of which I only buy two gallons at a time to make sure it isn't stale. It seems as though after about 30 minutes of mowing, getting toward the bottom of the tank, it will perk up and stop smoking. When I turn it off, fill the tank, and re-start, it's smoking again. I'm also going to say it's running a bit rough. If it was an old F motor I'd guess it needed leaned out with the screw on the carb? Alright, I'm out of ideas. Help!

·
Registered
89 Posts
It sounds to me as if the float is either out of adjustment or the lacquer is gone and it's soaking up fuel so it's causing it to flood/smoke. If you take the carb off and the float is dark, cracked and/or heavy then it needs replaced

·
Premium Member
1,473 Posts
Sure sounds like it is running to rich. Does the carburetor leak off when sitting between mowings ? If so you might need new float valve for the float. Could also be loose main jet or slow speed jet that screws into the side of the carburetor, found under the part number decal if it is still one. It should be screwed in tight and the same goes for the main jet that is in the middle of the carburetor. Also dirty air filter is not to be overlooked. Not sure if this is a new mower for you or if you have had it for a while and just started this. It could also be someone drilling out the main jet to try to stop surging and drilled it to large. If it shots gas and oil mix out the exhaust when starting it is from the float valve not shutting off and filling the chamber between the cylinder and the muffler, and you need new float valve and or float.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts