My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am still trying to figure out what kind of setup I would like for winter ... what model vintage tractor offers front hydraulics for a plow? Kinda new so I don't know if I should be searching for a 100, or 200 or 300 series so any help would be appreciated. thanks!

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
You really cant go wrong with any 300 series tractor. the 318 model is really a good one to use. It has power steering and thats a plus for that model. The 300 is really pretty good it comes with front hyd. for a plow. The 317 has been known to have some motor problems . I have the 300 and the 318 both are really good machines for winter use in my opinion.

·
Super Moderator
32,656 Posts
I've owned a tractor in each of that series and I really like the 318 I have now! Two spools of hydraulics lets you have an angle blade. The Power Steering is a blessing so you don't get wheel lock trying to turn in deep snow. The independent brakes give you the "poor mans" locking differential and allow you to turn sharper than normal. The 18 hp Onan is very powerful and really lets you power through things!

·
Premium Member
833 Posts
I've owned a tractor in each of that series and I really like the 318 I have now! Two spools of hydraulics lets you have an angle blade. The Power Steering is a blessing so you don't get wheel lock trying to turn in deep snow. The independent brakes give you the "poor mans" locking differential and allow you to turn sharper than normal. The 18 hp Onan is very powerful and really lets you power through things!

IMHO
The JD 318 is the “Holy Grail” of garden tractors. Once you get one, you’ll find yourself in the garage just staring at it and wondering what you’ll use it for next.

I need help!

Winter:
View My Video

Summer:

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
IMHO
The JD 318 is the “Holy Grail” of garden tractors. Once you get one, you’ll find yourself in the garage just staring at it and wondering what you’ll use it for next.

I need help!
Drool... that is one sweet ride!

·
Super Moderator
16,490 Posts
That not a bad deal for a 140H3 with a Blade I paid $1000 for a 140H3 4years ago and $500 for a 54inch blade about 4years ago as well. The 318 I will agree is the holy grail but the 140 Really looks like a a Farm tractor only smaller:thThumbsU

·
Super Moderator
32,656 Posts
Front hydraulics will only be found on the 140 or 300 series. As posted, 318 is pretty much King of the Hill but generally comes at a price premium.

A little clarification here for you. HOD is correct, those tractors have hydraulic ports on them for their attachments and the hydraulic rams (except the rear and mower deck) have the rams as part of the attachment. The 110, 200 series may have hydraulics/electric lift but it works only on the rocker arm and this does not give you the ability to have an angle blade or down pressure on any attachment.

·
Certified Master Tinkerer
3,045 Posts
A little clarification here for you. HOD is correct, those tractors have hydraulic ports on them for their attachments and the hydraulic rams (except the rear and mower deck) have the rams as part of the attachment. The 110, 200 series may have hydraulics/electric lift but it works only on the rocker arm and this does not give you the ability to have an angle blade or down pressure on any attachment.
:ditto: You'll see stuff advertised as "hydraulic" but that is the attachment lift as opposed to the attachment control. Big difference. My 214 has hydraulic lift but with the plow blade attached the blade angle is still "get off the seat" manual adjustment.

·
Premium Member
9,751 Posts
Danco That is a really beautiful example of a 318 !! :fing32:
Everybody raise their hand if they were surprised it had it's grill emblem :ROF
The 318 I will agree is the holy grail.:trink39:

·
Registered
901 Posts
Hey StormWee, what part of the state are you from? I live in Bridgeport, about 10 mi. northeast of Syracuse, 1/2 mi. south of Onieda Lake. Why I ask is we average about 120-130 inches of snow a year. 30 years ago I started out with a 214 with a model 43 front blade. That's what I could afford at the time. It works great at first, but after awhile you just can't push the snow any further, and it's nothing to wake up to a foot of snow. So after 2 or 3 years I purchased a 37A snowthrower. Best money I ever spent. Today I have a GX335 w/42" snowthrower, totally love it. With all that said, if you have average snowfall anything close to what we have, I'd forget the blade. But if your in a part of the state that gets only 50 inches, the blade should be fine. The 200 and 300 are built alot heavier than the 100 series. Like the guys stated above, for a used machine that 318 would be hard to beat because of it's hydrolics.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Don't forget you can buy three or four 140's or 300's for the price of a good 318.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey StormWee, what part of the state are you from? I live in Bridgeport, about 10 mi. northeast of Syracuse, 1/2 mi. south of Onieda Lake. Why I ask is we average about 120-130 inches of snow a year.
I live in Dutchess County so we get a moderate amount of snow fall, but nothing like what you experience. I currently run a 928E walk behind blower and that is becoming a pain to muscle around every time.. unless I do it by .. gasp .. hand shovel. So I figure I might try to save the blower for the heavy duty occasional snow dumps, and use a tractor with plow blade for the majority of the snow clearing driveway tasks which are typically and frequently 6 in or less. Thoughts?

·
Registered
901 Posts
Okay, sounds like you have a good plan. Now as far as what tractor, you mentioned 100, 200, 300 series tractors. Over the years Deere has changed model numbers that would make your head spin. Today, 100 series I think of the light weight "lawn" tractors sold at the box stores. That 140 your looking at is a Lawn & Garden Tractor, built much heavier. That tractor would serve your purpose, Sergeant seems to think it's a good deal, and if it's in good shape?

·
Super Moderator
32,656 Posts
Okay, sounds like you have a good plan. Now as far as what tractor, you mentioned 100, 200, 300 series tractors. Over the years Deere has changed model numbers that would make your head spin. Today, 100 series I think of the light weight "lawn" tractors sold at the box stores. That 140 your looking at is a Lawn & Garden Tractor, built much heavier. That tractor would serve your purpose, Sergeant seems to think it's a good deal, and if it's in good shape?

Some more clarification in order here. The orginal 100 series, Round Fender 110, integrated seatpan 110, 112, 120, and 140 were all Garden Tractors and had ground engaging attachments. Jim is refering to the LA and LX 100 series which are "Lawn" tractors and not recommended for any ground engaging implements.

·
John Deere 316 Onan
868 Posts
I'd say 300 series without a doubt! But don't forget about the 316 Onan as well.

·
Certified Master Tinkerer
3,045 Posts
I had a line on a 140 with the plow and mower deck, decent shape for $1000 but couldn't swing the time to pick it up. Passed on a one owner 140 (mower only) for $700, why? I still don't know. If its in good shape and an H3 (three hydraulic levers vs. one on early models) $1200 sounds OK, maybe you can work a smidge off the price but 140s are sought after machines.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts