My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got bored yesterday so I decided to take the hood off my old tired YGT54 that's been sitting in the weather since 2009 and looking the part of a very bad paint finish that sat in Texas weather its hole life.. Thought I'd see if I could make the badly weathered and scratched up hood look new again. I didn't take before pics until my wife told me to when it was almost to late and I was about done. I did get one pic of the center which was the last section I was working on when she told me to take pics. I just wet sanded this center section so sorry no pic of the rest of it before I performed the paint correction to it. I used 1500 grit and wet sanded out the worst of the scratches then used my Rupes LHR15 MarkIII buffer with a Rupes buffing yellow pad along with Wolfgang Uber 3.0 compound. The 2nd pass i used Sonax Perfect Finish compound with Rupes Yellow pad, 3rd and final passes with Carpro Reflex. The finishing result was amazing and I've never seen a lawn mower hood's paint look so flawless except for a few paint chips to the metal its flawless. The only part of the hood I didn't spend a real long time was the very center part where the plastic hood piece goes over it but I did do a 3 step process on it. This took me about 5 hrs with lots of cold drink breaks so I was kinda slow at it. I know I'm crazy for wasting really expensive detailing supplies on a old retired lawn mower but it was cold and raining out and I was bored. LOL
I did gave it 3 layer of paint protection after I was done with Fast Finish paint sealant. The mower still runs great but I bought a new mower last year so I just pull a trailer cart with it now. Amazing finish better than a new paint job. Let me know what you think.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks great! Its amazing what a little TLC and elbow grease can do
Thanks it really does look good. I showed grandma today and she said she needs to wash her mower so it would look like that. LOL her mower is 28 yrs old. I told her I would do it for her. LOL
I really don't think she can see to well

1 - 3 of 3 Posts