My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
techumseh tvxl 220. I'm having trouble getting the lower sump back on, can't seem to get the oil pump lined up. Is there a trick to it? thanks

·
Premium Member
5,747 Posts
Reach into the space between the block and the sump and rotate each meshing gear with a machinist's pick until the teeth line up. You'll see the sump drop down when they're correct.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply, this thing's got a piston type pump that rotates on an eccentric on the timing gear, the ball on the other end goes into a hole in the lower case.

Reach into the space between the block and the sump and rotate each meshing gear with a machinist's pick until the teeth line up. You'll see the sump drop down when they're correct.

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
Does the end of the pump that goes onto the end of the timing gear/camshaft have a beveled edge? I seem to remember that, but it's been a long time. If so, I think the bevel should face the cam to assist in alignment and slipping into place.
Other than that, I would expect putting the eccentric at max or min stroke would allow for easier line-up. It would then be 'in-line' with the centerline of the gear, and only need the 'length' of the stroke adjusted for it to fall into place. Don't quite know if that describes it effectively...
tom

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the reply, I finally got it, I was trying to put it together with the pump on the cam and aligning the ball,finally glued it to the bottom case with some grease and it fell together. you're right , the pump does have a slight bevel

1 - 5 of 5 Posts