My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Has anyone seen ChimChim?
6,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Sears delivered my GT5000 yesterday, about an hour late and it was pretty late as it was so I didn't mow much till today. I am very spoiled coming from a JD425 to a JD3320 and now down to this. It is what it is, it's a consumer grade garden tractor. The deck isn't even close to being adjusted right (I kind of thought Sears would set that up) so I will have to go through the manual and level the deck since I can't even use setting #1 on the lever, the deck is hitting the ground at #3 and I don't feel that's right at all.

The motor runs well, the throttle makes NO sense at all, the throttle doesn't begin to work until it's at 3/4 full throttle. The mower deck does mow well in spite of it not being adjusted correctly, the hydro is nice and the machine is fast going forward, slow in reverse (I will have to do the lever mod).

The hood is chintzy with no way to secure it and I knew that going into the purchase so it's not a deal breaker. I do like the big gas tank with reserve and over all it seems to mow well. It just feels so tiny and light (which it is) compared to what I had, and I knew that was going to be the case it will just take some time to get used to the downsizing.

Here's some photos!

Does anyone know if I can tap an oil pressure gauge into the blocked off port by the filter?

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Hey Brett-GT5000 (only kidding!) It's a good looking ride and a Garden Tractor to boot. Craftsman offers alot of bang for the buck when you compare what you get for your $$$.

Good luck with your new tractor! :thThumbsU

·
Registered
811 Posts
Nice looking tractor! Yep, it ain't green, but for the $$ you'll learn to live with it very, very well. Here on the farm, everything is GREEN, when I moved back and built the new house, I bought a GT500 (about 6 years ago) for $1600. No one is more biased than I am when it comes to "green." My brother was buying a similar unit and he went green for $4000. No question, his tractor mows better, and probably rides better, but I could have bought 2 GT's with plenty left over.

When it comes to getting the best "bang for the buck" I think that Sears is the best way to go-so far anyway.

When it comes time to buy parts for the Sears, compared to JD, you'll be totally amazed at how much green paint costs.

The only criticism I have is you have a GT with TURF TIRES? Get some AG or ATV tires so you can do some serious work with that beast!!! :)

Good Luck,

Ev

·
Registered
517 Posts
It's a good looking tractor. From the pics, it appears to have a C-channel frame too.

If you load the rear tires, the tractor will feel a lot more substantial as well as pull better and be more stable.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Make you not want to get it dirty.

Congratulations, Craftsman tractors have been good to me.

·
6,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ev,

I am not totally green biased it's just that the old Deere's were beasts and my CUT was just big and heavy all around so getting acquainted with a GT takes some time :) I have no complaints on the cut of the deck and I was able to mow my 2.75 acres of not mowed in 3 weeks grass in a little over an hour, so it's doing the job for sure. The turf tires need to GO! Trust me that's in the works :)

Sock,

Yep C channel frame, G7 axle, she's not a slouch for a GT. I think the loaded AG tires are going to help a LOT.

What size Ag tires and brand are you running on your machine Sock?

·
Registered
301 Posts
Looks nice, I think it is very similar to my 2007 Husqvarna GTH26k54 except mine has the fender speed control and the Hydro Gear 3000 tranny.

The tires are actually pretty aggressive, make sure you air them down to 8-10 PSI before throwing them away. I am sure they are overinflated from the factory. I was pulling my plug aerator around last night on super wet grass and had no problems with traction at all.

Chris

·
6,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Chris,

Yep I looked at the Husq's at Lowes and before I even knew who made the Craftsman tractor I said "****, I know who makes the Craftsman!" my Mother was with me and she was like "Yep I have to agree!" :)

I am going to check the tire pressure, I agree they look like they are overinflated. I am going to take them down like you said to 8-10 when I level the deck. I think in the long run though, I am going to want the AG tires anyway, I am used to AG tires and I do have some slopes in my yard and they will help. I am not changing tires right away.

Anyone add an oil pressure gauge to one of these Kohler engines, does that one block tap look like the right spot for a gauge ?

·
6,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh yeah, you can barely see my little boat in the background of the photos. I was so going to back the tractor up to the tongue and take a photo for giggles!

:)

·
Registered
13 Posts
My friend has this exact mower, just bought it last month. They've been out of town for the past two weeks and asked that I go to their house tomorrow and mow with it. Fine by me! :fing32:

·
6,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
SimplySnapper,

Welcome aboard! I'm glad to see your first post was made here! :)

Let me know what you think of the machine when you get a chance to put her through the paces!

·
Registered
384 Posts
I have been selling a ton of the GT5000!!! the price is right!

·
Registered
301 Posts
How do the AG tires affect the cut of the mower deck? I would like to install a set too, but wonder if the cut is affected at all.

Chris

·
Registered
163 Posts
Awesome machine - I am looking at the exact same machine to purchase in just a little bit. This has the Hydrogear tranny and I am unsure of the model number. I have been told that it is very easy to change the fluid in the tranny with a drain plug and a tranny filter. Have you been able to find the filter or drain plug yet? Everytime I ask someone at Sears they just stare at me. I have been torn between this model and the gear drive. I just want something to hold up and with no issues.

·
16,487 Posts
Awesome machine - I am looking at the exact same machine to purchase in just a little bit. This has the Hydrogear tranny and I am unsure of the model number. I have been told that it is very easy to change the fluid in the tranny with a drain plug and a tranny filter. Have you been able to find the filter or drain plug yet? Everytime I ask someone at Sears they just stare at me. I have been torn between this model and the gear drive. I just want something to hold up and with no issues.
I think you will find--for just slow moveing or mowing duties--if you ever use/get a hydro--you will never want to use a gear drive again for that purpose....

Brett---original poster--good luck with your new machine!! I don't see why that blocked off port could not be used for oil pressure guage...Shoot some pictures when you do it--see your past boat and tractor pictures--I know it will be right....:congrats:

·
Premium Member
9,600 Posts
Nice looking machine! I think you're comparing apples and battleships when you mention your CUT. I hope you figure out the deck leveling. I've been lucky, I've never had to level my 42" deck, or it could just be that my lawn is so lousy I don't notice. My deck is on the ground, at least the gauge wheels are at "3" on the lever, I don't know what "1" and "2" are for, except taking the deck off in the fall.

·
6,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ggsteve,

I think comparing Watermellon's to Peas would be a better analogy! :) I never expected a 2600 dollar GT to feel like my 30K + CUT, it's just that adjustment period ya know? Everything feels different and I REALLY do miss the handles on the fenders! I **** near slid out the seat yesterday on a slope I was like WOOOOOOAH! :)

LOL!

I don't think I would ever used setting #1 or #2 but it should be on the ground on #1 and it's not, so that tells me it's not right. Once it's set to be on the ground on #1, I am sure I will cut the grass on #3.

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
I use my tractor for towing a lot so I adjusted my deck to sit up as high as possible (against the frame stop) on #6. I have never mowed in position #1.

As for the gauge wheel positions, they don't really make sense since there are unusable holes and I had to drill two additional holes to coincide with the deck height positions.

I thought the GT5K has arm rests so how does one slide out of the seat?

·
Registered
517 Posts
Brett, my tires are Carlisle Tru Power 23 X 10.50 X 12.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Brett
Good looking machine.
Yes you could use the port on the oil filter mount for a gauge. The bosses are there for an oil cooler, at least your engine has one threaded, on my engine nether of the two are.

The tires are over filled from Sears for transport. Did you read your Manual?

I know when I changed to the loaded Carlisle 24x12-12 AT101's it made all the difference in the world, traction is not a problem anymore.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts