My Tractor Forum banner
  • We have a new contest celebrating your backyard. Sponsored by Walmart, its your chance to win a $400 gift just in time for the 4th of July! HERE Contest Ends on the 30th.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
**** Hunter
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I pulled the deck off today to blow all of the grass ect out of it and decded to check the drive belt...:fing20: well... its all but gone. chunks are missing, its cracked almost every half inch, needless to say, its done. so, I've heard you have to pulll the motor to change it...cant be true can it??? Couldn't i just pull the clutch and pully? also, How much does a new drivebelt run for?

·
Registered
305 Posts
You can take the CUb Cadet part number to a Napa store and they can cross reference the number to a Napa belt. Its much cheaper usually. You just have to drop the PTO (clutch) and, If I recall there's a wire belt guard near one of the other pullys. Just make sure you have it on the pully on the trans axle, when you get it on. Its very easy to do. Also, put some loctite on the PTO bolt, that goes into the crankshaft.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Im going to be honest with you.Im a Tech at a Cub Dealership and these things are nightmares.Changing the belt itself would be easy as pie,but MTd decided not to put any never seize on the engine pulley so they almost slide down to clear the three ears.You can either bend the three ears by putting a long rod on them and hitting it with a hammer or as you stated,the only other option is removing the engine.Make sure you put some grease or anti seize on the drive pulley so it can be done easy the next time.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
The drive belt is shot and it's a 2009 model year? How many hours on it?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm pretty new here, but having just gone through my LT1050, I can offer a few pointers.
First, the belt that comes from the dealer is very stiff, most likely due to a large number of plys. I doubt if a same size replacement from an auto supplier would be as strong. You can check, but consider the stress this belt undergoes when deciding.

The tabs placed around the pulley can just be bent out of the way with vise grips and then repositioned after the belt is installed. Not a big deal. There should be no reason to mess with the drive pulley for the belt.

Check and recheck the belt routing after the install is complete.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I'm pretty new here, but having just gone through my LT1050, I doubt if a same size replacement from an auto supplier would be as strong. You can check, but consider the stress this belt undergoes when deciding.
The ones from Napa are for lawn tractor applications. Their probably from the same supplier, the color is even the same.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Again, given this mower is a 2009, I'd be more concerned as to WHY the factory drive belt got messed up this early?!? The drive belt should last many years.

Joel

·
**** Hunter
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The is somewher aroune 170 hours on it. I mow 3.6 acres with it weekly with lots of pine trees so lots of forward/reverse putting stress on the belt. What is the belt size number?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts